1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the new "Hybrid Defense" playing safeties at linebacker be exploited?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jul 7, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think it's an interesting idea. I just wonder though.. the opposing coach's job is to find a weakness in the team's defense and exploit it. while you're strong against one thing, you are weak against another.

I'm a bit skeptical, but interested to see how this pans out.

Hopefully obviously I'm hoping it's not exploited. Just a concern I have with the whole theory.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    as I see it the way to exploit it is a run heavy package with two TE's and maybe a FB. NOt a lot of teams out there willing to go full run heavy and if they do you combat it by bringing in your regular base package or a 4-3 look with your regular LBers. The hybrid is more to deal with the spread offenses and clog up those short and intermediate zones on 3rd downs. IF you look at what the Pats did to the Steelers in the AFCCG 2 years ago this hybrid look comes directly out of a need to defend against what they were doing in that game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Offenses will find ways to exploit any defenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Have to have the right roster to exploit it to the fullest . It starts with OL and can they actually Power block ? Most Teams have went to zone blocking . Can the TE actually block down or reach block ? Most Teams use more pass catching TE'S and not real inline TE'S. Have to have down hill RB'S and most Teams use mostly scat RB'S.

Are there a few Teams still built to exploit a Rover D yes , but not very many left IMO .

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You run to the ball either way and gang tackle. 2 ,220 LB. safeties can tackle a 230 LB. RB. Many act like it's going to be a 8th grade CB having to tackle forenut all by himself head to head. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    No.

How the whole idea of the safeties being left out there for all forms of offensive formations is something I will not understand.

The "hybrid" defense that the Steelers will deploy in 2018 will consist of safeties playing a "linebacker" role; namely Edmunds to start out with. Given the fact that Ryan Shazier essentially was a safety in linebackers clothing, albeit a very special one, while we will miss his impact and splash playmaking abilities, the core values of his coverage abilities can be mitigated.

Furthermore, this idea will also see usage should offenses go towards spread formations. Given the fact that, post Shazier, the team really did not have any players capable of filling the rushing lanes, namely the B and C gaps, having a box safety like Burnett or Edmumds now allows you to enact the ability to do so. However, none of this is going to matter if the execution is done correctly. So, in short?

The base defense is not going anywhere. It will still see a good percentage of snaps throughout the season. It is just that Pittsburgh is now finally able to run the dime defense; one of the three main points of emphasis of the offseason.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They were looking at who could potentially make the roster not the PS.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am aware.

Was just commentating on who else a "camp darling" could be.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Smoke and mirrors. Oh well as long as there aggessive and play mean.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It will be tough taking on 300 pd lineman that can play.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Isn't that the same for a 230- 240 LB. linebacker? :cool:

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Shazier was not a safety in linebacker clothing. He was an an undersized linebacker, but still bigger and faster than Edmunds.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  16. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    240 lbs vs under 220.

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Wee been hearing hybrid this n that's for a while now. I think we'll see minimal changes to packages and obvious change in personnel and coaching style to see if it all comes together.

Bottom line is everyone needs to do their job, win the personal battles... Basically beat the man in front of you type stuff. They do that? They can run whatever they want! When they can't, or don't or won't... I want to see some adjustments made plain and simple.

18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I'd run a 2 TE set at it and either rush right up the gut or hit a TE on deep seam routes, and we will be toast.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Shazier is not 240 hes 230 if that so its 13 pounds at the most and thats right now, im sure they will put a couple of lbs. Of muscle on him.:cool:

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good thought , but the counter is bigger stronger OLB'S that can't be blocked by TE'S and OLB'S who can hold up the TE'S at the LOS to disrupt the timing of those seam routes.

1 positive that a lot are not seeing is most Rover type Defenses are more man or man/zone oriented most are 1 gap justified. This means guys don't hold or wait and try and play 2 gaps they pick their Gap and go . It is a faster more aggressive type of Defense instead of a reacting Defense.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The key to the Rover type Defense is the extra DL . Teams don't put a SS or small LB in the box without at least 4 DL . This is how you protect the smaller faster types in the running game . The scheme is not designed for the Rover to take on the OG in the hole rather it is designed to keep him unblocked and use speed to make tackles. weight is really not relevant.

22. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    its LB support, TE is a safety, thats what i think

plus his brother a LB drafted before him, you dont think TE knows the LB position and can put on weight and compete w his brother? just a thought, look no further than the Watt brothers, remember TE is a safety.

23. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    They will use two down linemen and with the size of bud, chickillo and watt they can make this work. Speed with pretty good size of these outside backers helps do the same as pure size. Bud and chickillo are in the 260's, watt is 252+ with quick and technique. Then we can use bostic as an ILB and still run Edmund's as the Rover. It keeps him moving around which already makes it hard for 300lb. linemen to track and we still keep 5 DBs, two of which can also be safeties. They won't be in this defense on 3rd and short unless caught in it and then the offense won't have the right personnel on the field either. This defense is just another tool with better players designed for it.:cool:

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011