1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bleacher - Edmunds at LB team's biggest risky move

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    PWP, what’s your view on the criticisms of Dupree?

Given your point about the OLB position - is Dupree just an example of the position losing value? Interested to hear your thoughts.

2. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Well "the Steeler way" was 31st on average yards per rush after Shaz went down. I'm not convinced Butler and Tomlin have the football IQ to pull this off. Another poster mentioned you must dominate at the LOS to even think about running a S as ILB. In reality, even when you have a Hall of Famer ILB like Ray Lewis in the middle you need an immovable beast inside, as, if you recall, he had a down season until they drafted Ngata. Ray even openly campaigned for the team to add some beef upfront, upon which his Hall of Fame career was back on track. Hargraves can be decent (not so much last year) but I'm not sure he is the immovable beast we need to even make our traditional 3-4 system work that well. We need a Hampton or Steed in there.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have a Frazier and McCullers.

If and I mean if, Dunbar can motivate shade tree, does anyone see Hargreaves moved to DE and these two being kept for the NT spot? Maybe LT Walton is let go? :cool:

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is closer to the size needed at 270 lbs. , but he needs that extra DL to be more effective. Dupree has enough speed to beat a OT he has enough power to beat a TE he should be more effective as a pass rusher if we have better coverage behind him.

Our current scheme expects to much from the position dropping in coverage to much , when you run more Rover types the OLB'S job is to keep the Rovers clean on running plays and to reroute TE'S on passing plays. This helps protect the middle of the field and allows smaller defenders to use their speed to make plays . IMO Dupree will be much more effective in that regard .

For years it has seemed the Team has used a scheme based on the front 7 featuring the OLB position and tried to plug and play at DB . I think they have finally seen the light that against spread,scat, multiple WR type sets the backbone needs to be DB'S .

5. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Mac, I have never seen a player as lazy as McCullers get "motivated" so late in his career. He's what? 4 years in already? I think Dunbar already has his hands full with trying to get Frazier giving a good effort.

6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    All I see from BD is a flash upfield, where he blows way past the QB, so much so, that the QB doesn't even need to step up in the pocket. It's like child's play. The only time Bud is in the mix of a play is when the QB has to take the ball down and reset, giving Bud the extra time needed to come back from the 20 yards who blew by the QB. If the play is anywhere near timely, Bud isn't even on the TV screen - he's that far away from the action. Unlike Harrison, he has no ability to make a cut towards the QB, just straight up, straight line speed. If QBs made 15-yard drops, he'd be a monster.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You make valid points and that's exactly why he is being switched to the blindside . His ability to blow up field will work the mental game on QB'S , which should cause more rushed throws or stop looking down field a bit quicker . Dupree has much more value as a blind side guy.

8. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Joel Steed, haven't heard that name in a while.
    I think dline is above average,

I prefer to have confidence in the decision making and see what scouts and coaches can cook up this year defensively as opposed to waiting or anticipating for a poor defense and losses this season so I can pull a "see I told you so" and "look how smart I am and terrible the steelers coaches are" message board posts. thats all,

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is it right here. This is the main goal of some of these guys.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Nor is spitting up beer apparently haha..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
  12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This! I’ve been screaming this for awhile now. Hargrave is a good DT for a 4-3 not a NT in the 3-4. If you don’t have the big guy eating up 2 or 3 blockers in the middle the ILBs can’t do their jobs in the run. A guard vs a ILB the guard is going to win 90% of the time. You have to stop them from getting to the second level and Gravedigger is not the answer for that. With Heyward and Tuitt on the ends if we could find even a good 3-4 NT this could be a dominant line maybe our most dominant. I also question letting the DEs get upfield. On passing downs fine but more often than not they also need to be holding the line. If they are rushing up field all the tackle has to do is take them that way and boom huge hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And the main goal of some others is being a troll.

14. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    do you think Josh Frazier could step into that dl role, he and Hampton are about the same weight 325, not saying he is the next Casey Hampton but we did draft him for a purpose hopefully he can be coached up, we'll see

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He could but gotta see him play in the NFL first and see if he can actually use that size.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Deone Bucannon of Arizona says hi, he played safety in college and now plays ILB.

17. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Casey was 325 in 9th grade. :roflmao:I think after a few seasons CH was over 350, easy. Maybe pushing 400. But up until his last few seasons, he was an absolute monster (so much so he was worthy of a 1st round pick). I think with Frazier, he can be part of a platoon, as he doesn't have the endurance to be out there for too many plays in a row.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    OK, one instance disproves the entire assertion in every single case.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    No it doesn't, but don't act like it can't be done either :shrug:.

20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Never said it couldn't. Shaz was always a LB, wasn't he? He was around 238 at the combine, that's 20 lbs bigger than Edmunds.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Carnell Lake? Half our OLB’s under Cower were DE’s in college.

22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Mostly smallish DE's in college, yes. But that was before so many other teams - pro and college - ran a 3-4. Now it's much harder to grab bargain bin college DE's to play OLB since half the teams now use that same type of player. We used to get good OLBs in the middle rounds.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    His combine weight and his weight when he got here were different. He got here at 230 or less. He played at Ohio state at times at 220. So only a slight difference to Edmund's really. I'm sure they will put some more muscle on Edmund's. Remember he had a bad shoulder his SR. year so that probably hindered his weight training. :cool:

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You wanted examples.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Edmunds might just be a situational ILB, he also can put on weight if they want him to.