1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about visiting training camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelinOhio, Jul 5, 2018.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    My wife and I are thinking about visiting training camp this year (probably between July 27th and 29th) and taking the kids with us, but we've never been before. If we do go, we'll be coming from Ohio, about 4 hours away.

The schedule lists most dates to be "open to the public." My questions are:

1. Is there a cost to get in?
    2. Is it so crowded that it's hard to get in?
    3. If we do go, is there anything we should know ahead of time?

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It's been a long time since I've gone. Like since I was a kid over 20 years ago. But, talking to people that go still. There is no cost involved. I think the Steelers run a souvenir store there, and sell stuff. So, of course that costs money.
    It gets crowded when the players come down to the field, and crowded when the practice is over. As kids, and fans try to get player autographs. If you want an autograph from Ben, Brown, Bell (if he signs a deal) or the big names good luck, it will be a massive hoard of people trying to get autographs.
    Best thing to do is be nice and ask them nicely. As a kid I always called them Mr. Bettis, Mr. Stewart. Probably my favorite memory was getting one from Coach Cowher, for some reason nobody cares about coaches as much. I remember being very intimated by him, from all the spit and mean looks from that I would see on TV. He signed my hat and was really nice, told me there you go son. Super nice guy, I still have the hat today. Only bad part is I had Brendan Stai (he was a Steelers guard at the time, average at best) I wished I wouldn't of had him sign it, just so coach cowher would of been the only one on it.

But, get there early get a good spot, take sun screen, take water, also go on a weekday,as oppose to a weekend day. It will be a little less crowed.

Go to Dino's and get some food. Good bar, and good bar type food. My cousin married into the family that owns it. Nice people and the locals all like it, who knows you might see Steelers players or coaches come in. They get a lot of the players to go there to eat after practice. Coach Tomlin has been known to go in. I guess he really likes Grey Goose Vodka from what I'm told.

• Like Like x 2
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I echo what TroyBellringer posted. My Dad and I went in 06 for the day. I had a blast but really listen when he says sunscreen and water. I don't handle the sun well and it gets hot fast when you aren't paying attention. We had to stop at McDonald''s on the way back because my Dad got heat stroke and was having an episode. I got him cooled down and hydrated. Only negative for the day. Cashier in the Merchandise truck was shocked when we said we were from North Dakota.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys, especially about the sunscreen and water. My wife usually carries that stuff in a backpack, but I'll make sure we have plenty.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I know they have done some work to improve fan experience AR camp but not sure of all the details. When I went you turn into the college and see all these cars parked in a big field. I walked over a hill and there was practice. I sat up on the hI'll side watching most of the time except for when they did goal line drills then I tried to get close to the end zone but the kids and autograph seekers have that end pretty well scoped out as the walk way to the dorm is on that end of the field. I think that they built bleachers on one side now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Have a blast - hope you get to meet your favorite players. Closest I came was back in January 1980 when the Steelers were practicing for the SB against the Rams out here in SoCal. Got all the biggie autographs, Terry, Franco, Lynn, John Stallworth, Mean Joe and Rocky Bleier. It was like dying and going to Steeler heaven. Still regretting not ponying up for SB tix that year.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    What a dream. I imagine terry signing “go cowboys” lol

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    1. Is there a cost to get in? No cost unless you go to Friday night practice at Latrobe HS.
    2. Is it so crowded that it's hard to get in? .No, they do pretty good with crowd control. Lot of help on grounds.
    3. If we do go, is there anything we should know ahead of time? Get their early so you can pick were you would like to sit not much shade in Latrobe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks! I appreciate the input.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No Problem, I live locally 1hr from St Vincent. I have gone many many times.

11. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    "SteelinOhio, post: 572843, member: 43"]
    1. Is there a cost to get in? No charge. However on the way in you will be lead right past the Steelers' stuff to buy.
    2. Is it so crowded that it's hard to get in? Depends. Weekdays are best. Weekend expect a serious crowd. But there is loads of parking.
    3. If we do go, is there anything we should know ahead of time? If you plan to watch the Oklahoma drill or the scrimages from the stands go early to get a good seat or a seat period. No shade though. You can bring folding chairs and camp out under the trees but bring binoculars. Actually just bring binoculars period.

Enjoy the campus. Peter King sports writer loves SVC. https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/07/23/king-latrobe

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette prints a Steelers training camp guide each year. Below is the one for 2017. Just keep Googling for their 2018 version. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-saint-vincent-fan-guide/stories/201707180001