1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How is this acceptable? Bell admits they overlooked teams.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Maybe the talent we have is over rated, I posted an article in another topic that said we are over rated, you can have all the talent in the world but if it isn't properly utilized it's like a superior Army you can win most of the battles and still lose the war, putting that talent in position to win when it counts (ie) playoffs is the center piece of a championship team,and, we havent been doing that in years....

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He said to tony Dungy it will come down to us and the only thing to worry about is if we will play them at their house or if they will play us at ours. Belichick would NEVER ANSWER THAT. Neither would pederson, Pete carrol, sean Payton, etc... that was idiotic by Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The thing is why In week 10 is he even worried about week 15? Just could have easily said we are taking it one game at a time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I'm not sure what you read....

We gotta tighten up in the must-win games,” Bell said. “Last year, I don’t think we’d even be in that situation playing the Jaguars in that first, or in that second-round playoff game if we take care of business in the beginning of the season. We lost to the Bears, we lost to the Jaguars earlier in the season.”

But Bell admitted he’s guilty of looking past teams and worrying about who they are playing later in the season. This sort of lack of mental preparation falls back on the coaching staff.

And then there is the headline:
    Le'Veon Bell admits he and other Steelers overlooked opponents last season

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Another blind fan.

7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Nah i'm just a fan who doesn't need to make a big deal out of comments a coach made to a former coach. You can carry on with the hate.

8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    So, you don't think there is a strong trend of Tomlin NOT having this team focused for certain games, causing them to lose more than a more disciplined coach would? You see no evidence of that?

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We've all suspected the notion opponents are overlooked and players are under prepared occasionally throughout every season... Those seasons and even last season are no longer relevant. Time to move forward and rehash the same old **** this upcoming season and hope for better and realize that either way you cut it, Tomlin ain't going nowhere. He still has a couple if not a few more scapegoats to buffer himself with.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is it in a nutshell. I truly believe that some of these fans think that if they continue to complain about something that the Steelers will somehow listen and do something about it.
    I get frustrated with Tomlin, but how many times can I ***** to fellow fans on a message board before I make a complete ass of myself and they get sick of hearing it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just to be clear, this criticism was equally shared over the years with Cowher and Noll.

Noll quite frankly more than Tomlin. Noll made no attempt to focus, motivate or rah rah the team. He felt that was the players responsibility. But he had Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, etc.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Which is true, imo.

I seem to think a few of the players have talked about how they looked past the Rams in SB14. At first, anyway.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That was nolls style from day one though. They knew Chuck wasn't that type of coach and it proved pretty successful. Tom Landry, belicheat are and were not that type of coach and let's face it, these 3 won more championships than cowher or Tomlin will ever dream of. They were respected by players and friendly towards them but not their friends. There is a difference.:cool:

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The first part is a quote by Bell, but nowhere in that statement does it mention he or the Steelers looked past teams. It doesn’t matter how many times you use a bold font etc. The second part and the headline should be very telling to you. Neither of them are quotes attributed to Bell they are claims made by the writer with no evidence to back them up. Evidence as in quoting an actual freaking statement made by Bell or another Member of the team.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

No, that’s not what he said. For reference his statement is below. You can try to twist it , but it’s pretty freaking clear if you take the time to read and comprehend. Reading, it’s fundamental.

“Man, I’m going to embrace the elephant in the room, it’s going to be fireworks. It’s probably going to be part one, and that’s going to be a big game. But probably, if we’re both doing what we’re supposed to do, the second one is really going to be big. And what happens in the first is going to set up the second one, and determine the location in the second one.”

• Like Like x 1
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't think they "overlooked" Jacksonville. Probably underestimated or even got outplayed is a better word. The Jaguars played a hell of a game and were physical at the point of attack. Their defense is talented and came to play.

Yes Tomlin did make a statement about playing the Patriots that the media ran with. I think that was made out to be more than what it was.

The bottom line is that the Jaguars not just the Patriots is the team to beat, because they had our number twice last year with impressive performances.

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    we went 13 - 3 , and should've been 14-2.... aside from jacksonville, that's not much overlooking

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Overlooking teams is not anything new. I saw a documentary about dolphins undefeated season and the raiders stated in that documentary that they might have overlooked steelers cause they were dying to play the undefeated dolphins in Oakland. ( home field did not go by record back then) And madden said they would have crushed the dolphins. If the immaculate reception never happened then raiders probably would have beat dolphins......

19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    There is a stronger trend that shows this team wins more games than they lose with Tomlin as HC. You choose to only focus on the negative. At the end of the day all teams lose games they should win.

Who is a more disciplined coach? I will show you that the "more" disciplined coaches teams loss games the should had won too. It's sports and it happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Since tomlin era the steelers have more losses in games when they are favored by 7 pts or more than any team in league...... That is a problem...........

• Like Like x 1
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Oh really?
    http://pfref.com/tiny/AuMq6

Don’t know what the stats are for 31 other teams, but Tomlin’s record is pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Where did you find your data? I found this article https://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/steelers-record-tomlin-favored-league-averages/

This is how the article was ended. "I can’t say definitively whether or not there is any merit to the idea of teams, and specifically the Steelers, ‘playing down’ to the competition level, certainly not a consistent, years-long basis. But whether or not that idea itself has validity, the numbers are the numbers, and help to inform the discussion."

I suspect that if people take a look on a game by game basis they might find that Ben performed poorly in several of those games. How did turnovers and other factors or player mistakes factor into the equation?

People seem to insinuate that Tomlin's teams loss most of those games due to bad or questionable decisions he made. Most games in general are not loss due to coaching decisions. Most games are loss because of mistakes or poor execution by the players.

As long as the team remains competitive and continues to win games then I really don't see a huge problem. I guess people need to complain about something.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bottom line is with a franchise QB and the best WR and RB in the league you need to be winning playoff games.:cool:

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You know full well it takes far more than two players.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That ads up to 3 I think.

But point taken.