1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bleacher - Edmunds at LB team's biggest risky move

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I'm sorry. Drafting players only to make them learn new positions is just not that smart. Sure, it can work out, but more often than not, it adds another hurdle to an already arduous task of making the transition to the NFL. Then we will have to hear the obligatory, "He needs time to learn the system..."

Add in that you are putting a small guy at ILB who has already been noted for "willing hitter who takes hits more than he gives them" and you have an injury trend waiting to develop. To me this is Butler's make or break moment: Playing safeties at ILB better work out, or maybe he should be replaced.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783076-every-nfl-teams-riskiest-move-this-offseason

1. The Steelers will give first-rounder Terrell Edmunds a chance to show his versatility. He took reps at linebacker through rookie minicamp.

On one hand, it seems logical to keep rookies focused on their natural or most recently played position early, but the Steelers may have bigger plans for the Virginia Tech product, per Pittsburgh Gazette reporter Gerry Dulac: "Right now, Edmunds, a safety who will play like a linebacker in some of the Steelers sub-packages, is trying to absorb as much as he can as quickly as he can, knowing he will be an early contributor in Keith Butler’s defensive schemes."

Pittsburgh signed ninth-year veteran Morgan Burnett to a three-year deal. He'll pair with Sean Davis at the starting safety spots. It's possible the coaching staff could prepare Edmunds to fill in for inside linebacker Ryan Shazier, whose future remains uncertain due to a spinal injury.

Edmunds lined up in different spots in the Hokies defense, but a fluctuating role could hinder his development, especially if he's overthinking instead of moving freely. Training camp will shed more light on his fit in certain packages, but the coaching staff may put the 21-year-old on the fast track to a prominent role.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    First mistake was reading anything on bleacher report. Second mistake reading anything on bleacher report, third mistake taking anything written by bleacher report to heart.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    They get it right as much as any other source.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Go read Steelers depot. It explained this.

It's also not as Edmund's will line up as a thumper LB, only in passing situations. Burnett played this role for GB. As a Rover Edmund's played it too. So it's not new. This is also not new to the Steelers defense, they have been trying to run this 3 safety looks for sometime now but didn't have the right parts. They do now. Sit back and enjoy.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Usually because they are rehashing the work of established sources with the authors own unique pov and fitting the narrative they are putting out. Basically it would be like you writing an article for them about how bad a reach Edmunds is using the three scouting reports you have that lists his weaknesses but does take anything else into account and then having someone post the link on the board going see someone on bleaCher report thinks the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Do you know how many negative Bleacher report type articles I've read in the last 5 days about the Jack Johnson signing the Pens just did? Something like 5 a day all by amateur hockey gurus that say it's a bad deal and a bad signing. It might be but until he actually plays we don't know what will happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017

For the 10,000th time: without prognostications we'd have nothing to talk about. If you think our rush D was bad before, wait until you see it when we use 213 lbers for our ILBs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Wacky watt is kinda right. Our D line at times look like they are on skates. Imagine big lineman mauling our d line and bruiser backs looking 1v1 against 210'ers on a team that struggles with tackling.. lol

In all seriousness I have been patient, so I will be patient a little longer. Lets see what the new coaches + players can do.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There is making predictions and then there is beating a dead horse and then the third step is going 200 mph into a wall not caring what anyone says. Can you guess where you are at?

Edit: Not to mention there are a thousand topics we could talk about other than Edmunds. I'll start it's rumored that RF will run not so much a no huddle offense but a two word quick huddle where the first is the formation and the second is the play. What might the base formation be and will they use Samuela as a dual threat TE/rb beside Bell.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That is misunderstanding how they want to deploy a big nickel or hybrid dime defense.let's look at the AFC championship game from two years ago and what NE did on offense. They schemed to get a mismatch of Hogan in an intermediate zone and a mismatch for the ilb in a 3-4 base scheme. The minute they go to a nickel or dime look NE counters with quick dump offs to their pass catching rb or a small quick slot reciever. There was no winning in that match up. So now they bring in Edmunds in a lber positionclog up that short and intermediate zones with faster quicker guys that can cover te'e or hit pass catching rb''s and take them down.

These are not guys to put in when the Jags line up jumbo sets with Fournette and try to take him one on one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    No, then we will put in our one-legged ILB who's been on a couch for 2 years.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    In those cases I'd be tempted to run the 46 defense at them. Jacksonville ran such a high percentage low risk offense last year it was freaky. The would try one high risk play maybe in 10 or 15 and then right back to conservative move the chains get third and two and let Fournette muscle for that first down. You look back at the two games we played and the AFCCG the drives that stalled for them were one's where they are looking at 3rd and long with Bortles having to make the play. Get them in that on a regular basis and you got them.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm from the school of allowing someone to actually **** the bed consistently before I label them a bust... This position that position blah blah blah... Let the kid just play and we'll all find out who was right or wrong etc...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Let's end this thread. Edmund's went from his 217lbs. to 213 to 210 in two responses. Keep this up he'll be 125lbs playing ILB against 300lb RBs. :eek::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We get it you don’t like the Edmunds pick. Maybe it’s time to move on?
    Also plenty of players played a different position in college than they will in the NFL. Heck half of our Outside Linebackers over the years played DE in college. Heck wasn’t Carnell Lake a LB in college?

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This x 1,000

18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You might be skimming a little too fast. Peppers is 217, no one said TE was. He is listed at 213 lbs, period. And before anyone acts like he was some kind of wrecking machine, he was 5th on the team in tackles (59) and had 1.5 sacks. PLUS, he is known to take the brunt of hits as opposed to jacking up others. But the genius Pgh coaching staff will "coach him up" making him a pro bowler.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017

So, Glenn, what is stopping you from introducing gripping new content? You are good at ridiculing others' topics, but don't seem to get around to posting anything better. Enquiring minds want to know.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I'm just waiting for you to introduce riveting subjects so I can join in.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Would you feel better if I gave you a list of Steelers plates that played different positions in College than they did in the NFL? You already know you’re wrong, but I can rub you’re nose in it if you’d like?

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Was he trying to lay wood or was he looking to make the hit while tackling a bigger opponent? Ryan Clark used to make the big hit in the course of bringing the man down and got as good as he gave. Mike Mitchell laid wood but seldom made the tackle or got the guy off his feet. If we know which Edmunds was trying then we have a better idea about his future in the league. If you are just quoting a scouting report it seems like a waste of time discussing it.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You’ve been told a million times not to exaggerate.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m just spit up my beer!
    Lol!

25. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I’ve heard the position he will be playing a lot of things. I like the monster the best. He’s not a LB, he’s not a SS, but he’s right here in between and can give teams major headaches. I wasn’t a fan of this pick at first but I think he could turn out to be a great player in our system.