1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The All-Time Steelers Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Charlie Whigg, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Charlie Whigg

Charlie Whigg Member

Jun 29, 2018
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Swap Sam Davis for David DeCastro. Yes I said that.

That man has proven himself time and time again. How I see it, should he continue his current level of play, he will join Faneca, Webster and Dawson in Canton.

3. Charlie Whigg

Charlie Whigg Member

Jun 29, 2018
    DeCastro could be better than Davis, but I’m not sure if he’s there yet. If you’re making the list by projection, I agreed. If you’re making it by what they accomplished through today, I think DeCastro needs two or three more great years. It’s very close though

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Dawson should of had some consideration at center. Webster gets a lot of love getting the super bowl wins. But, Dawson was the best in the NFL at center during his playing days. He just didn’t have near the team around him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Hard to argue with that list. If it were my list I think I would swap out Webster for Dirt Dawson, but its hard to argue against Webster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought it was odd that they have three receivers and only one running back. That makes no sense given that the team started two running backs for almost its entire history.

If you are going to pick only one running back, it should be Harris over Bettis. I know Bettis had more yards, but Harris had the better career average per carry (4.1 to 3.9) and he was a far better playoff performer. Harris was also more of a complete back. He was an actual weapon in the passing game. Even playing most of his career in a run-first era, Harris caught 307 passes. Bettis was rarely useful in the passing game. I was surprised he even caught 200 passes in his career.

Bettis was a worthy Hall of Famer, but Harris was a much better player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Swann in his prime was the best of all of the receivers. He would be on that list if he had played longer. He didn’t. He isn’t.

8. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    According to the people of this board they would select Mike Tomlin for every position

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Antonio Brown is better than Swann was in his prime. Swann never had to carry the load that the Steelers ask of Brown.

I'd stake Stallworth over Swann, too, but I understand the argument to the contrary.

10. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    swann is my favorite alltime steeler but brown is better and it is not even close..........

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe nostalgia holds me to Swann over Brown, or quite frankly, maybe not. I’d still take Swann’s prime over Stallworth’s but Stallworth’s career beats Swann. Fun to debate.

Kind of like arguing Lemieux vs Gtretzky.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Gretzky was better than Lemieux. Both are among the top five in NHL history, but there is no question Gretzky was better.

The same is true of Brown over Swann. It's not close.

13. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Yeah Gretzky was slightly better (both had different skill sets) but he had a team around him most of his young career unlike Lemieux but Lemieux was hampered by injury too and played half the games Gretzky played. I would not call it head and shoulders better.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm like most Pittsburgh natives of that era. Lemieux is the reason I started watching hockey. I couldn't possibly be a bigger fan of his, but I can still accept that Gretzky was better. No, it's not a huge difference, but it is a clear one.

Honestly, the gap between Brown and Swann is bigger.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Different time with the rules. Even between swann/stallworth and lipps and AB. What the defense was allowed to get away with then as opposed to now has to come into play. Heck it has to affect every position. The o linemen had to put up with head slaps and forearms to the chops that were legal as opposed to what guys in this era have to deal with. Even how they were allowed to be tackled was different so it was much different how they had to keep in mind to protect themselves after the catch. Hard to rank these guys apples to apples. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Charlie Whigg

Charlie Whigg Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Yeah Browns been on a pretty unparalleled run the last four or five seasons. Swann was great but Brown is the best receiver in the game

17. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    First of all, the list was spot on. But you're right: having 3 WRs and one RB seems off. Personally, I'd find a way to get Lloyd on that list. Can you imagine him on that 70's team? Might be in conversation of best ever save LT.

But surprisingly lastwordonprofootball.com nailed it.

18. Charlie Whigg

Charlie Whigg Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Yeah I hadn't even heard of them before the article popped up on my Twitter. Not bad at all for a random sports site

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers of the '70s didn't use outside linebackers the way they did during Lloyd's career. Lloyd was a great player, but I'm not sure he would have been any better on those teams. He certainly wouldn't have been rushing the quarterback as often.

Bettis over Harris is not spot on. Harris was the better runner. He was the better receiver by a significant margin. He had more postseason success. Even in terms of simply being a likeable guy, Harris is right there with Bettis.

It was a very good list, but one back instead of two was a mistake and Bettis over Harris was another mistake.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think I would pick Franco over Bettis too.

Aaron Smith vs Dwight White?? I only saw a little of Dwight's career since I didn't live in Pittsburgh and TV coverage wasn't what it is now. Dwight had 46 sacks to Smiths 44. Smith played a little longer but lost a season or two to injuries. Any thoughts from some who've seen both??

If they did go with another RB instead of a WR, who would it be? Gotta go FB if you are mimicking an actual lineup..

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Lemieux is probably the most important sports figure in Pittsburgh sports history. Only because had he not been drafted, the city wouldn't even have a pro hockey team. Guy literally saved the franchise, like 3 times. But, Gretzky is the all time great. Lemieux has banner numbers, they are great. But, Gretzky averaged like 2.5 points a game every game he played. You will never ever see that happen again.

22. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I'm not so sure - imagine Bettis on those 70 teams. He'd have wrecked the league and have gone down as a top 5 RB in the history of the league.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bettis would have been our answer to Earl Campbell.

24. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I am not a penguin fan so I do not have a dog in the fight and I am shocked that pens fans think gretsky was better. At there absolute best Mario is a better hockey player than gretsky and I have had actual hockey stars tell me that. Gretsky played on superior teams and needed a friggin bodyguard. Mario was much harder to defend one on one because of size and power...........

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Technically, Harris was a fullback. It's less of a fudge than three receivers and one back.