1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin ranked as 9th best NFL head coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Jun 27, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    In all honesty Id rank Tomlin #6. Hard to believe Im saying that when half the time I want him fired.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I wont dispute that, but I think the sentiment was carried for far too long. (just my opinion)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Heinz I give you a hard time, but I agree with everything you said here except not winning another Superbowl while Tomlin is coach. To be fair, I go into every season believing we will win it all. I do realize that is not realistic, and I don't lose my s&*t when we don't. In the end, I love watching the Steelers and always hope they put up a good fight!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Belichick has won though years later after those players from the first regime left. He is the one who drafted all these players in this decade.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For what it’s worth, the fans of every team ranked below Tomlin want their coach fired.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't want Tomlin fired... I want him to improve on his weaknesses. Stubbornness is holding him back, IMO. He needs to fire some coaches that he's been holding on to for too long. I won't say any names.

7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It`s tough to judge how good the head coach is. Bottom line: What is the added value the coach brings to the players he has to work with? The evil emperor is clearly on top by a wide margin. That Zimmer guy in Minn seems to add value and should have been ranked higher IMO. I think Tomlin should be ranked in the middle considering the players he has had to work with.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Really, I literally thought Belichick was still playing with Carroll's players. I mean Tedy Bruschi is only 43. Learn something new every day!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Just like there was no excuse to let Jacksonville look like the greatest show on turf last year ( twice ) at Home...With a **** QB...Humiliating!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There is only one coach I would like to see take the HC job, and thats Mike McCarthy, a Pittsburgh guy who just wins in green bay, he could also groom rudolph to be a starting QB if he was already here, thats one of his best coaching attributes, when the time comes he just might want to come home to coach the steelers....

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Tomlin probably has at least 5 more years. That would make McCarty 68. That’s pretty old, not compared to you, but still... :smiley1:

12. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Oh, I definitely agree. In fact, there are three playoff losses under Tomlin that anger me:

1. Getting Tebow'd out of the postseason in OT. Simply embarrassing. Nothing can top that ( IMO).

2. AFCCG vs Pats. It's not that they lost. But, it's how they lost. The damm game was decided in the first quarter. I expected a competitive game...

3. Past season vs Jags. I believe he let his team look ahead. Huge mistake!! The final score doesn't reflect the game we all saw. Jags D was in prevent all day.

Now, some may say " Losing at home to Bortles is worse than losing in a tough Denver stadium". I get that. But, I believe Tebow is worse than Bortles. In fact, Bottles isn't thrash like most make him out to be.

I didn't put the 07 Jags playoff game here because it was Tomlin's first season. Even though they lost, you could sense they were on the verge of something special.

I'm not debating that Tomlin has been outcoached in big games. But, I do find some ( Not all) use Tomlin's " Faults" in order to prop up Cowher.

Yes, Tomlin has had much better QB's then BC had. But, let's not forget Cowher's top 10 D blew a 10 point lead to a much inferior Chargers team in 94. His special teams unit was pitiful in the 01 Championship game. He coached not to lose in Indy before Ben saved him.

Both had/have their faults. I still think both are top ten coaches. If Tomlin got fired tomorrow, teams would call. All in all, I want one more SB before Ben retires. It's been too long. The standards are the standards here.

Sorry for the long "rant" btw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Charlie Whigg

Charlie Whigg Member

Jun 29, 2018
    9 sounds about right. He's not a guy who's capable of turning any roster into a 13-win club, but he also has turned some banged up and poor built rosters into 8-8 or 9-7 clubs. By my eye he's good for an extra win or two every season. Just wish he did a better job at getting the team focused week in and week out. That's my biggest gripe with him

14. Charlie Whigg

Charlie Whigg Member

Jun 29, 2018
    The 2011 Tebow game doesn't get me that mad. Ben was playing on basically one leg, and he wasn't the same guy the second half of the year. With him playing so gimpy, that team probably wasn't going anywhere anyway. And Ryan Clark wasn't even playing, and he was a great safety in 2011

Why Tomlin and LeBeau continued to let Taylor get roasted on an island against Thomas all day long is anyone's guess though.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Isn't that the truth, all this talent better not be wasted by this guy.

16. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Better not be wasted? Have you been watching, he already has!

17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    McCarthy is 54, which in 5 years would make him 59, strange thing though, the packers only gave him a 1 year extension in january, he might be ready to jump teams come the off season....

18. Charlie Whigg

Charlie Whigg Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I'd rather have Tomlin. I think McCarthy's been overvalued a little just because his quarterbacks have been Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. His teams don't look so hot whenever Rodgers has to miss time. Obviously, a drop off is expected when you lose a top-five player, but they don't even look competitive most of the time

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He was the coach who made both Favre and Rodgers into the QBs they became, he took us to the wire last year with a rook QB, and if Ben misses some games we wont look very hot either, McCarthy don't fold in the clutch like tomlin does.....

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I read his bio wrong and saw he was born in 63 and thought it said he was 63. Thanks.

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    No sweat, he's younger than my kids which makes me rethink my kids aren't kids anymore..:facepalm:

22. Charlie Whigg

Charlie Whigg Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Favre was well established in the league before McCarthy became HC, and he was only quarterbacks coach in '99. He probably helped Rodgers development, but Rodgers does a lot of stuff you can't coach. There's a lot there that's just pure natural talent.

He took us to the wire mainly because we really struggled with bad teams last year. Bengals, Ravens, Packers, Lions, Colts and Browns (week 1) all gave us a hard time. And we lost to Mike Glennon. And if you think McCarthy doesn't fold, watch what happens to the Packers every time they're in the NFC Championship Game

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They will always be your kids.

I lived in Chicago and came home to visit my folks when I was in my 30’s. As I was going to bed, my mother said “did you remember to brush your teeth”. I think I just stared at her.

• Like Like x 1
  24. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    It was Ben's turnovers and the Jags running game (league #1 in yards, #2 in TDs), not the Jags QB.

Bortles actually played worse against the Steelers.
    His average for the year was 19.7 completions on 32.7 attempts (60%) for 230 yards, with 8 more TDs than INTs.
    The regular season game: 8/14 (57%) for 95 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT.
    The playoff game: 14/26 (54%) for 214 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  25. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    He makes the top 5 in facial expressions-either something he ate or it really is confusion. Either way he practices this to perfection