1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How is this acceptable? Bell admits they overlooked teams.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I read that Bell said HE over looked teams. Not they overlooked teams. I don't even know what overlooked means. Does it mean he didn't prepare, watch film, sleep in meetings, didn't listen to the coaches, or something else? Coaches point players in the right direction. It's up to the grown men(players) to handle their business and be prepared.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Semantics. One of the English-language's mightiest tools.

On the topic at hand, not surprised coming from Bell. Being consistently reputed as the best Running Back in the game, a top tier offensive line and a trio of him, a future Hall of Fame Wide Receiver and Future Hall of Fame Quarterback, I would imagine he does have some form of a Superiority Complex; not accounting for how he prides himself either.

That being said, such a complex is a too way street. As the grear Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu once stated;

"There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent."

As such, I would imagine that Bell has been doing this for a while. Question remains is, who else among the team sans Bell follow such a dangerous ideology?

I am all for players having the confidence to believe that they are the better team but only if said opposition is the current objective. If otherwise, then that is where many issues arise.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It has been written that we don't prepare that heavily for teams tendencies but we do what we do. Just like the championship game against the patriots. We knew we needed to play some more man but we did what we do and hoped it was enough. It isn't the approach all teams take but they keep our coach and must be OK with it. :cool:

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is nothing new. I've heard plenty of people saying we overlook opponents.
    Look how Bell handles himself. I don't know why anyone would think he has the ability to be super focused.
    I'm not sure why people expect more out of these athletes than any other person?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I am unsure why they would over look the Jags of all teams. Especially since the Jags have owned the Steelers...since like forever.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    How is this news? Tomlin publicly overlooked and insulted the Jags with his comments about playing the Patriots again.

Plus look at our record against sub 500 teams and look how we play vs backup QB's.

We're not a week prepared team, never have been, especially against inferior competition. We've been overlooking teams for a long time now.

Look at the antics of some of our players when we played the Jags, especially Mitchell. It's clear as day that there's no accountability in that locker room .

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    As a fan, articles like this are a slippery slope because the words can be twisted to mean whatever you want them to mean. Having played sports (obviously not NFL although I continue to maintain they should call on my skills), I think every team looks past an opponent once in a while, so I take what Bell says with a grain of salt. Last season, I believe Bell looked past the entire start of the season, maybe the whole season, until reality hit.

10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    It confirms what Tomlin said. He overlooked jax as well by already saying it would come down to Pitt and NE

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Is it just me or does this team do a ton of talking and not much in the way of backing it up? For the talent we have, our recent playoff success is a joke

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't believe that Tomlin overlooked any team. People will select what they want in an attempt to create an issue. Here is what Tomlin said before the Jags game. Does it appear like he overlooked them?
    https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2018/01/steelers_jaguars_playoff_tomlin.html

Tomlin said in regard to NE and Pitts, "if we’re both doing what we’re supposed to do." the Steelers and Pats could potentially meet in the AFCCG. Talk is cheap and meant absolutely nothing. The Jags proved they were a bad match up and better team than the Steelers.

Steelers players strongly denied that they were looking past the Jaguars to the Patriots.

"You guys throw all that s--- out there, as far as us overlooking them," guard Ramon Foster said. "We practiced two weeks for Jacksonville. No f---ing way we overlooked them. C'mon. You know that answer."

Said linebacker Bud Dupree: "Hell naw, we didn't overlook them. They beat us the first time. We just couldn't get it done. We tried. I thought we were going to win. We just had to make a stop for the offense. We couldn't make a stop. We have Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback. We're supposed to make a stop, give them a chance. We didn't give them a chance."

Commons sense question. Would you overlook a team that beat you badly on your home field earlier in the season if you were a coach or a player? I know I would not.

13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I believe that the Tomlin "NE" quote was from an interview several weeks earlier, during the regular season. At the time, he could only be sure about two AFC teams being in the playoffs. He did not make those comments just before the Jacksonville game.

14. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe you are correct. The comments were before the first game with the Pats. The media twists and turns words to create a negative impression or story.

15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't believe the TEAM did a ton of talking. A few players said this or that. Doesn't really matter what they said anyway. The Steelers went 13-3 last year and loss to a better Jags team.

Every team in the league has as much talent as the Steelers. Every team has the opportunity to draft from the same pool of talented players. I don't understand what's so difficult for some fans to understand in regard to talent across the league?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Charlie Whigg

Charlie Whigg Member

Jun 29, 2018
    The Steelers have great talent, but I'm worried their stars (Bell and Brown) don't always have their heads in the right place.

As much as I hate them, could you ever imagine one of the Patriots saying they overlooked an opponent? Hopefully those guys were just reading all the headlines that said they were this unstoppable force. Maybe losing to the Jaguars will wake them up and teach them to focus one game at a time. Brady and Belichick are better than Ben and Tomlin, but the rest of the Steelers roster is better than the Pats. Aside from the Pats, there's nobody the Steelers should feel threatened by, as long as they keep the one game at a time mentality

17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't understand how the Steelers can be terrible in drafting (finding talent) and coaching (developing/using talent), yet the Steelers should still be winning 95% of their games because they are the more talented team.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just so I’m not getting this wrong, you are stating Cleveland has as much talent as the Steelers, New England, Philadelphia, ....?

This is what you stated. Yes, this is difficult to understand.

19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Because Tomlin is your head coach, and he's too full of bravado and lacks discipline and focus and teams resemble their head coaches.

20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Every team has a franchise (maybe 5 in the league) QB? An OL as good as Pgh? A RB as good as Bell? A WR as good as AB?

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The ounce of credibility that is assigned to you when you sign up fot this professional message board was just recalled. Poof.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    An organizations's ability to acquire talent and organization's ability to build a team are different.

The Browns had how many number 1 picks and opportunities to draft "better" overall talent than the other teams in the league? 2012 - 2 number 1 picks, 2014 - 2 number 1 picks, 2015 - 2 number 1 picks, 2017 - 3 number 1 picks, 2018 - 2 number 1 picks. Since 2012 the Browns probably had the opportunity to draft more players than any other team in the league. See for yourself. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/draft.htm

Over the years the Browns had the ability to acquire plenty of talent. The Browns' issues appear start with it's ownership's decision making. Constantly changing coaches and not finding a quality QB were probably the biggest issues that held the Browns back.

How do teams like the Browns or others compete with or upset the other "more" talented teams if they were or are not as talented? The "lesser" teams have the talent to compete with the "better" teams.

Many playoff teams change from year to year. Most NFL rosters generally have a large turnover every 4 or 5 seasons. Talent shifts and new talent comes.

23. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011

I don't look for credibility here on this board. What you should ask yourself and try to understand is why does burgh feel that way?

Why do upsets happen in the NFL? How do the lesser talented teams compete with the more talented teams? Maybe it's because the less talented teams have the talent to compete and win in the first place? Very little separates teams in the NFL.

24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    People want their cake and eat it too?

25. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Tomlin is just a better General than Patton himself!!