1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB: Rudolph and Washington going to be special

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Indeed.

If anyone knows the values of dedication, perseverance and a commitment to being all he can, Antonio is second to none in the league.

It was already known that both Rudolph and Washington were known for their work ethic and desire to become something more; traits that were not within question.

What was questioned was how commited would they be. Glad that both have remained unchanged as there have been stories of players transforming their ways when they enter the league.:)

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If so future looks exciting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Admittedly I was a little skeptical about the Washington pick because I thought he was more of a " one trick pony" but I'm currently running alongside his bandwagon ready to grab the rails with all the positives being spoken....Samuels is sounding very promising as well...excited big time for pre season.

5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Not to be Debbie downer, but it's just words. So, these days we are supposed to be impressed when players want to actually work and take it serious; that is an accomplishment now. I guess that is where we are these days: If you actually try and take your job seriously, you should receive kudos.

One thing I was a little surprised about was that Washington was not the burner as advertised when drafted. He did go deep in college a good deal but he isn't a speedster. He ran a 4.54 forty...not slow, but for being considered a "speedster" not blazing either. Bryant was like a 4.3 guy.

6. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Rudolph & Washington will do for us what Big Ben & Brown is doing for us now. They will be the replacements because Ben will be retiring soon & there's a good chance Brown $$$$ will go elsewhere after his contract expire...

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Remember though...AB was a 4.54 guy coming out of college...That's why he lasted until the 6th round, small and not a speedster...But his incredible work ethic has it rumored that he now nows a sub 4.4...Washington has been hailed as having the same tireless work ethic...Lets hope!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Jerry Rice wasn't a speedster either. Alot of the better wrs that played didn't have blazing speed & therefore worked harder at catching the ball, getting separation, breaking tackles, etc.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He wasn't advertised as a speedster ever. Not sure where you got that he was. I do think hunter can add to this group as a size and speed player but it will come from our other receivers being threats at different levels. They all will have to win individual matchups and as a group cause openings.:cool:

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    That is quite an endorsement. I agree, guys should want to be great, and that should be part of the job, however I sure don't mind hearing someone like AB say it about the two of them. AB didn't have to say it, he could get away with saying, "Washington will never be as good as me", and no one would bat an eye. As for 40 times, well, in my opinion I think people put too much stock in them. Don't get me wrong, speed is a great asset, but there are guys who have football speed. Football speed is underrated. Anyone who has watched a lot of football appreciates football speed.

12. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    imo 4.5 40 is good enough, I would rather have a 4.5 guy who is a leader than a 4.3 guy w issues, also its game speed that matters and they say when the ball is in the air Washington is fast, I like the Washington pick, he has large hands and has proven in college to be a v good combat catcher, he is not as tall as a Burress or Bryant so we keep Hunter in the mix, I agree the 40 time while important is hyped a lot, a 4.5 40 though is fast

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Anquan Bolden ran a 4.6 40 at the combine then was drafted by the cards in the second round he was Offense rookie of the year with over 1300 yards receiving and selected to the pro bowl, he was productive as a receiver for 14 years, having over 13000 yards and 82 TDs during his career. A low 40 time is nice but not the end all to be a star in this league....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Is NFL.com everywhere? That seems to be your only source I have seen you refer to on players. I never thought from the start he was a burner. Going deep is about more than just pure speed. Separation can be done many ways. AB wasn't a burner either coming out. I'm not trying to down you for following NFL.com but there are other sites with good info too. They are just a tool along with the eyeball test. A lot of times their responses get kind of generic at times and they contradict themselves under the strengths and weaknesses. 4.54 is a speed but burner was never used.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually I remember reading about a ProDay 40 in the 4.4 range and I also remember that he was the fastest at the Senior Bowl where he ran something like 21 MPH.....

17. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Just bc I only listed one source doesn't mean it was the only one who said it. I got more things to do than post in here. As they drafted him, the guys on the set said he was a burner. I heard it all over the place. And I NEVER said a 4.5 forty meant a player was bad, slow or couldn't go deep. Watch the straw man arguments fly.

ADD:
    James Washington Film Analysis : NFL_Draft - Reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/.../james_washington_film_analysis/
    Dec 29, 2017 - 8 posts - ‎7 authors
    James Washington The 2017 Biletnikoff award winner and Oklahoma States game breaker. James Washington is an intriguing prospect because he looks. ... while Washington is a burner

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Bolden was never described as a "burner." His game was always about hands and being physical. Always.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Really?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'll take Hands and determination at the point of a contested catch over a few 10ths of a second all day. Bolden was a bad man! I like this kid and hope he and Rudolph terrorize the league for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    James turned on the jets today at Pro Day! Great time for the WR. #GoPokes #okstate

4:33 PM - Mar 15, 2018

23. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    When the words come from any of us on this board, they are just words. When the words come from AB, they are more than just words.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    yeah, at this point (and hopefully after some previous sideline pouting/social "look at me" media missteps) AB is like an owl, he is wise and sees things

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I was going by what you printed in this post and also about Edmund's. Same source.
    I was referring to you being surprised. You may need better resources. :shrug::cool: