1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Band of Brothers

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I watched this when it first aired about 8 years ago and just decided to watch the series over again. Up to episode 5. Hands down one of the best shows ever produced.

The anniversary of D-Day got me thinking about it and decided to plug it in the other night. Next episode is Bastogne, one of the fiercest battles in the war.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Best 10 hours of television ever produced, IMO. The accompanying documentary is well worth the watch too.

And not to make you feel old, but it's been much longer than 8 years since it came out. I moved into this house in 2003. BoB came out when I was living in my old place. ;) I want to say 2000. Not sure.

Edit: it was 2001

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Doh! Yeah, should have known it was before 2010.

The other one, The Pacific was 2010. That was good but liked Band of Brothers much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The greatest mini series of all time.

Episode #7 is my favorite.

Great casting.

I probably watch it once a year.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably have to agree. Just watched that one tonight. Lost a lot of men in this one and big part of the cast, Joe, Bill, Buck, Hoober and several others. I think Lip said they went in with 145 men and came out with around 65. Crazy.

6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, I didn't like The Pacific as much. The actors all looked too similar for me to follow what was going on.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Pacific really hit home for me. At the time it originally aired I was scanning and saving old photos for my Mom and stumbled across my Grandfather's marine corps mediacl records in my mom's box of pictures. I grandpa was with the 1st marine division but never talked much about the war. Since a fire gutted the building in St. Louis were all military records were kept from before Vietnam we were never sure just what his service record was but the medical records shed some real light on it. He was at Peleliu and fought at Okinawa. While on Okinawa during a night raid and fire fight he fired three times into what he thought was an enemy soldier but turned to be a fellow marine who had left his foxhole. The government determined that a grenade killed the Marine well before my grandpa's shots but you couldn't convince him of that and he was sent stateside shortly before the end of the war and given a medical discharge based on a bad kidney. It was an amazing journey to read his records and piece together his journey well before I was even a thought and I wrote an article about it that the family passed around so that my cousins, aunts and uncles would know him better.

• Like Like x 2
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think "the reason we fight" is the name of the episode where they find the concentration camp and that was a really powerful episode that when Spike TV was showing the series I told my Dad he needed to watch.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Absolutely LOVED Band of Brothers. Shifty Powers is from my area here in SWVA. Easy to see why they were called The Greatest Generation. Couldn't really get into The Pacific.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Awesome story, Thorn.

And many thanks to your grandfather :flag:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Both the Pacific and BoB are incredible mini series that I have watched many times. But I have to give the edge to BoB.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bastogne was prob my favorite episode. Great series, I'll have to re-watch when I finally get home...

13. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The scene where the concentration camp survivor salutes, I think it was Toye, broke my heart. This series was brilliant in every area, writing, directing, screenplay and casting. I liked Ron Livingston in Office Space. He was tremendous in BoB. The whole cast was. Who would ever thought that David Schwimmer could portray such an unlikable prick?

• Agree Agree x 2