1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tackling is an issue? You think?!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/0...-to-work-on-tackling-issues-in-training-camp/

Isn't this what we've been talking about forever on this board?!

It's not rocket science. Go over fundamentals until you're eating sleeping and breathing them and it will show up in game!

They were much better before this CBA that's for sure, but you're the frickin' coaches!

It's your job to make this happen and figure out how to make sure it happens. That team from New England has been doing it for a decade!

2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Many here were saying that is a league wide problem, I sorta agree but also the eye test said we were worse then most teams. You could go down the list of players with bad tackling technique, mostly Mitchell, Davis at times, Sensabaugh, Golden, Dupree, both MLB, and worse of them all was Artie Burns who would run away from tackling contact.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I remember when bad tackling used to be a Bengals issue...

Then it became ours.

I'm not sure I follow Butler's argument that it's due to moving younger guys in. A guy like Holliman a few years ago was a ball hawk but couldn't tackle; but he was a very late round pick. I'd expect a 2nd rounder to be capable of tackling technique.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There's also a question about how much of the bad tackling we saw last season was a product of bad positioning in the first place. To me, it was the latter that was really costly, particularly against the run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I see what you guys are getting at, but Butler has been on the job for awhile now. If he saw this he should be hammering the table about having nothing but fundamentals in practice!

The defense is all about tackling! If you ain't taking the ball away, you're tackling!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Unfortunately that only works in Utopia. We have less than half the practice time due to the cba and it shows on the field for all teams. There are some teams that choose to violate the cba(ravens) and practice anyways. Personally I prefer my favorite team to follow the rules than take a win at all costs attitude.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Does better containment help the tackling... These guys are running in wide open spaces often and they are all pros.

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You have to love it when a fan makes claims without the facts to back it up.

Shazier led the team in missed tackles. Burns had 8 less than 1/3 of shazier.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/steelers-vs-browns-missed-tackles-report-3/

• Like Like x 1
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Shazier did miss a lot of tackles but he was aggressive in tackling even though he didnt have good technique. Like i said Burns was terrible tackler and had less miss tackles then Shazier because he avoided contact. I love it when fans think they know it all. Did you watch the same games..?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Like Like x 2
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    i'll take shaziers 100 missed tackles a game because at least he had instinct and was a true athlete. Came up with key splash plays during games, things other defensive players don't do.... sans heywards(sans playoffs lol). I mean... shaz prevented a Bengal playoff win alone!

• Like Like x 1
  12. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    They need to emulate the Toy Terrier, Pat Fischer,

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    How I have seen it since 2014 is exactly what Matthew indirectly touched on in the article; fundementals vs. scheme. Rather, how I have always believed it to be, fundementals exceed scheme.

The offense appears to be based on fundementals. Pre snap reads, blocking, catching, and footwork are just some of the basics an offense needs to be successful. When the fundamentals come in place first, scheme is irrelevant as the principles of the game from an offensive standpoint are being not just performed on a mere mircroburst or sequence but consistently; game after game. Year in, year out.

The defense, on the other hand, appears to be based on scheme up until last season prior to Shazier's injury. Then again, even with the minute level of fundementals that the likes of Vince or Cameron have means little in the long run. When the scheme transcends the importance of the fundamentals, that is where concerns transform into problems.

As sttummerman stated, the days of instituting the fundamentals have all but vanished since Article 46 was approved. Within the same context however, as Thigpen82 stated, no excuses; player or coach no less.

If anything, this is just further indication aa to why coaches like Saxon, Dunbar, Munchak, Drake and Bradley were all hires as of recently; Saxon being the forerunner. Getting back to basics is what is going to assist Pittsburgh in its ascension towards the stairway.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Better fundamentals and maybe he's not out now.

We've been saying it since his first day. The way he was tackling was just tempting fate. Love the guy and the way he played, but he was going to get injured with his tackling.

That's why I thought the Alabama LBs and safeties looked good to draft this year. They had good form on many of their tackles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    11 guys running to the ball. That's how to fix tackling.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. Here is a good article when the changes to practice were made.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...ice-changes-could-negatively-impact-nfl-games

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It all starts at the pee wee level, then works up. If you have poor fundamentals

by Jr Hi, you are really behind the eight ball. Poor coaching at this level will lead to

this along with the CBA rule has watered down football. Some people forget to mention,

that you must WANT to tackle. I see a lot of guys that don't WANT to tackle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The art of tackling started to get lost when way too many guys started to go for the big hit. The shoulder bump thinking it could just knock guys off their feet. No wrap up. It started in the pros and worked it's way down to the HS level. :cool: