1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers to Implement more 4-3 defense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jun 4, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Great. So we signed some players. Dosent matter if they are good or not. All we need is just warm bodies. That's essentially what you are saying. Do you want to know what the main reason is for missed tackles. Complete lack of talent down the center of this defense. Bostic and Vince are average players in this league at best. If that's what the Steelers are going to go with then you can expect average results at best. There were talented free agents out there who could have came in and upgraded middle linebacker. Steelers chose not to sign them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    And I'm not knocking Burnett. I'm mainly talking about linebacker. No one can argue that the Steelers upgraded the saftey position. Hell, we signed and drafted 4 new safeties. Cant fault the Steelers there.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

Oh no no. Those levels of complaints are not going away anytime soon.

I am referring to a more obnoxious critique. Correction, nit pick of an issue, which ironically enough, is not an issue.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not quite as simple as “not chosing” - they may have made a move but been outbid (given relative cap space, it’s likely). I don’t think Bostic was a desperate signing, though - he clearly has traits the team were looking for, even if he isn’t top tier.

Big name FAs aren’t always the answer, and in my view the big names available weren’t worth the cap hit they were commanding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    http://www.nfl.com/player/jonbostic/2539978/careerstats

He had 97 tackles last year - that ain't chicken scratch. He had an 87-tackle season with the Bears. (He also had two seasons with a combined 2 tackles, must have been hurt.) If he has a season like his 2 good ones, we will be pleased with him. I have no problem with him; I have more of a problem with them not drafting a single LB this year, but I hope the kid from FSU pans out and that would make up for it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

That’s not even remotely close to what I’m saying. Missed tackles was due to a lack of talent down the middle? Oh really? Then why was shazier leading the team in missed tackles?

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Tbh that's the first time I have heard that. If that is true about Shazier, it's likely because he was around the ball way more often than anyone else on the defense. Plus he was never off the field. The opportunity for him to miss tackles is way greater than anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't expect a Ryan Shazier clone because there aren't any, but addressing their biggest need on defense and perhaps not reaching for a guy who should have gone a round or two later would have been appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Who said anything about Timmons? I certainly didn't. We will go with what we got and when we match up against teams
    of similiar talent we will hope that they won't run it down our throats.AKA Jacksonville., Rams, Eagles. Hell even Chicago ran it down our throats
    what they finish 5-11?

10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Well for depth LT Walton, Josh Frazier, Casey Sales,Huguenin, Kendall Vickers. The you could have Chick fill in if needed, Keon

So and so on. It is quite possible they could play a 4-3.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That part was in response to mcm. Sorry Ward it got meshed into one post as a general statement to both of you guys. I still think we are better off with speed to the ball with a gang mentality to do the same job as one LB or individual players. :cool:

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think they did address their biggest need. 4 new safeties. I think they got exactly what they wanted. The ability to show multiple safeties to help run support but have the better coverage skills than a LB.

Essentially 3 new LBers. Matakevich who has yet to play his role as the team was counting on before his injury took him out of the picture. Bostic and K.Adams on the outside again where an injury took him out of the equation.

If you look at players they were looking at thomas being one of them, the kid from maryland and the kid from NC, you saw them get that bonus LB right where they targeted them. Very late in the draft or as priority UDFA. We came away with one that can run well. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  13. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea...well....quite unimpressive. Looking at the draft and FA picks, the 4-3 won't be used all that much, or they would have added 4-3 type DL guys. Don't get me wrong: There is nothing I like more than a 4-3 that doesn't need to blitz to get to the QB, but I just don't see it.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    With the exception of Watt... Steelers look very average at LB. If Watt has a sophomore slump, we are in trouble.

15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think they improved dramatically on the back end, Burnett will be a life saver.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1