1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you re-watch old games?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I keep all wins from the previous season on my DVR and watch them through the off-season until I start recording new games to re-watch. I usually delete losses immediately.

And, when there is nothing else good to watch late night, I often re-watch a game, although not in its entirety in one sitting.

My take from rewatching so many games, that I may not have remembered as vividly after so many months have passed?

WARNING: None of this points are revolutionary. But re-watching just makes a deeper impression on things we basically know already.

1. Ben's not perfect. He still can make some real bad decisions once in a while. But his greatness far outweighs the blunders. He IS a franchise QB, period. He is top 5. And even many (most?) of his incompletions are near perfect throws. He is often deadly accurate. He puts his deep balls right on the receivers' hands in stride most of the time. And, while he doesn't play Superman as much as he once did with running around, he still moves well when he has to, if just a few steps. He takes far less hits.

And let's not forget: He's been handcuffed with garbage play calling of Haley. He has to try to flourish when they often threw away 1st and/or 2nd downs on crap bubbles screen and the sort. Oftentimes, he is left with only 3rd down to move the chains, making his job much tougher.

Ben is the best QB to ever put on the black and gold, period. We will miss him dearly unless we get real lucky like GB after Favre, 9ers after Montana. Odds are low we will find a QB anywhere near as good as Ben for a long time. Hopefully, we won't have to endure a Stoudt, Malone, Brister, Tomczak, Kordell type of run before we find another franchise QB. Other than rare occurrences, you don't win rings without a franchise QB.

2. We all have memory scars of seeing the Jags run us over, but prior to losing Shazier this D was decent, especially in the 2nd half where they were really shutting down opposing O's for a good stretch. I personally had a skewed memory of how bad the D was last year, but it wasn't that bad. Even after our dip after losing Shaz, we still ended up 5th in total D and 7th in points given up. With this offense, a D of that caliber should be able to contend for a ring (Although, admittedly, those #'s a skewed some from us playing some 3rd string QBs along the way. I count 6 games vs. guys who are not even NFL backup quality; Browns twice, Indy, Houston, GB and Bears - although we found a way to lose to them.)

NOT having Mitchell on the field will help. He was as bad as we remembered when you re-watch games. But until proven otherwise, I fear what teams can do to us on deep seam passes - missing Shaz kills us there, and Davis seems poor in coverage, and Edmunds track record covering anything deeper is poor. losing track on deeper passes. I hope teams aren't able to kill us from lacking ILBs and safeties who suck in coverage. It is a concern.

3. No matter how many games I watch, I am still amazed at what AB can do. Granted, Ben IS a major part of AB's success; he throws him some deadly accurate tosses and we all see what AB's #'s do in Ben's absence. But that being said, AB is a freak. He constantly causes me to say "wow" watching him play. His body control is outrageous. We are so fortunate to have him, and that he rarely gets hurt (missed a few games last year with a calf).

4. Bryant was a one-trick pony, (even thought Haley foolishly tried to use him on patterns that didn't fit what he can do.) The guy can fly deep as good as anyone, but he is really awkward and gangly trying to catch short passes and doing anything with them. He doesn't have the skills to make those damn bubble screens work, for the most part. And, although he tried to improve on it, his overall attitude doused team chemistry to a point. Although I wasn't so sure when it happened, I don't mind that they traded him.

5. If Vance McDonald can stay healthy, look out. He's the most explosive TE we have had since...well, since Greene, who was basically shot when we got him, so I don't know if he counts. Even the great Heath Miller couldn't do what Vance can, as far as yardage after the catch. I don't know how teams will defend us if we have AB, Ju Ju, Bell, Vance all out there (and toss in a few to the Outlaw). It's gonna be off the chain.

6. I don't know why Hayward doesn't get more love, I really don't. He gives all out effort all game long, and, as one player stated on "The Top 100" on the NFL Network, guys that big don't play with that much energy all game long, but CH does. I mean, how often does a 3-4 DE lead the team in sacks? Not often. (Bruce Smith used to, but he is one of the greatest player in NFL history.) I am thinking Tuitt, being able to play with BOTH arms this season, and CH with another season like last, will bring the pain this season. I worry about our NT but I am hoping Hargraves is healthier this season, and, if so, look the F out.

7. Dupree looks average at best. He does have straight ahead speed for his size, but little else. All he does is rush fast, past the QB, who can easily step up and Bud is rarely a factor on the play. I don't see what the team saw when they used a 1st rounder on him. Once again, they overestimated how much coaching could improve him. They are really establishing a trend of taking a player with measurable skills and overestimating how much they can "coach them up." It almost smacks of arrogance.

8. Burns will never be a Pro Bowl CB, but he isn't as bad as many feel. If the pieces around him are solid, he can be part of a good defense. Hayden was pretty solid and word is he is more healthy than he has been in year. Cross your fingers he stays that way.

9. The OL is as good as advertised, it really is. Ben usually has a lot of time to stand back there, nothing like the days prior to Munch. With that level of OL play, Ben could play 2-3 more seasons.

10. TJ Watt fizzled down the stretch, but before doing so, he was a very good rookie. I think he might be an actual star this season - 10+ sacks, plays all over the field.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good write up, thanks. The way this is written, did you just watch all of the wins in a row?

Although, I still take Bradshaw over Ben.

3. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    No, LOL, but have been watching them steadily since shortly after our season ended. I needed some time away from the pain, but within a month I started watching them. I don't think there is a right or wrong position of Bradshaw vs. Ben, as going 4-0 in Super Bowls says a lot (even though his teams were crazy stacked). I don't feel TB was ever as accurate as BB all things considered; he had little touch on short passes and would never put up the yards BB has, even if he played in the era. That's my "opinion."

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This gave me a flash back to the dark ages before satellites, big screens and DVR. I lived in colorado for a while and because they were in the AFC, the only game available was Denver. Each year, I would give a buddy of mine a bunch of vcr tapes with prepaid envelopes. He would record the games and mail them to me. Only winning games. I would avoid the paper until the tape showed up and watch it Wednesday or Thursday evening. Even though I knew the game was over, I still seemed to get just as excited because I didn’t know the score.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    :lolol::lolol: I was taping games in VCR days too. It's crazy we thought nothing bad about that crap technology. Well, before that we had no recording so it seemed good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    How often you say? Depends. Quite a bit of factors involved here.

1.) Based on the continual understanding of the current direction the team is taking heading to the draft, this is very often.

2.) During the week leading up to the game, studying the tendencies of the upcoming opponent are often.

3.)For entertainment value? Refer to point two.

Plently of other examples but right now, I am simply trying to keep my eyes open. Laid some serious blood and sweat at work. :lolol:

7. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Yeah, I still remember the days as well when I knew I had the game taped and was so excited to get home just as though the game was going on 'live.' Of course, with all the technological improvements and the more phones are an extension of our hands, I'd be hard pressed to somehow NOT know the outcome of a game I didn't watch. Too many people know I'm a Steelers fan, so unsolicited texts, emails, etc. Being able to follow the game stats even on your phone as it's happening is just too great a temptation nowadays!

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    By the way, I heard on the news, it’s national vcr day.

9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Good write-up in the OP.

I have a few of last season's games on the DVR. One thing I noticed was Hargrave playing fairly well early in the season. It added to my belief that the move to a more aggressive approach by the defensive line actually made the run defense worse. They were just getting out of position far too often.

It also makes me thing Hargrave's back just kept getting worse as the season wore on. He could still make the occasional big play, but he couldn't hold up consistently in the middle. Others have already said it, but it does now seem that playing through injuries really did cause a huge drop-off in play by Hargrave and Tuitt, especially later in the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben is the best qb ever to play, and one of the worst all jumbled in one lol. When he's on fire he cant be stopped and when he is overthrowing receivers you know you lost. Above average qb play is what you get most of the time, with the other 2 being the outliers.

I think Ben is better than Bradshaw but both won with championship defenses. As most qb's do.

losing shaz lost us an opportunity for the chip but patriots/eagles would've beaten us...BUT it's best to be in that position, because sometimes the other team lays an egg.

quality depth is what we need. Injuries are gonna happen, but if we have no backup plan(shaz) then we crap the bed. so many key injuries, tuitt, shaz, hargrave, mitchLOL and heyward the year before

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The backup plan behind Shazier was also injured in that very same game. That said, it is damn difficult to have a good backup plan for a player with rare talents like Shazier. How many linebackers in the NFL can even come close to his speed?

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't have a DVDR...

You would think by now you would be able to buy every televised game on iTunes, even the mundane preseason games.

14. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I understand the pain of the lose but I would argue that the loses are more valuable in a rewatch moment.

No rose colored glasses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Those who can not remember the past are doomed to repeated it.

- George Santayana

16. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Ummmm, except we are not coaches or players; we watch for entertainment, and watching a loss is not fun at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I DVR every game, even preseason, which every game in on the NFL Network.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's what I did, too, though now I have to switch to NFL Ticket online, so that option is gone.