1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan''s press conference-Steele related

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jun 6, 2018.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What was Ryan''s news day. Couldn't listen to the audio at work, comment feed would suggest. He is walking and going to get on football shape. So one know? #Shalieve.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
  3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks much appreciated .

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No problem. I hadn't heard he was going to be speaking to the media today until you posted, but it was easy enough to find stories about it.

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah I had an alert from FB that it was happening UT right at the end of my lunch break and the company I work for does allow us lowly packagers access to the internet. Sales, CS, returns, logistics can all surf the web. Rest of us are restricted except for companies we shop parts to.

6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    God bless him and best of luck, but I think just being able to walk without difficulty is the legit goal here. How on earth will he ever be able to play again?

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What are you basing that opinion off of?

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    NFL Football is the most physically demanding professional sport. ILB is one of the most physically demanding positions in NFL Football. Odds are against RS from even playing again... much less playing at the same skill level where he left off. Not saying it's impossible, but highly unlikely considering the type of injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He's on a mission. At first I thought he was announcing retirement but he's moving foreward towards his goal of getting a hat again on game day. That's his desire and his goal alone to achieve wether we think it's smart or not. I wish him the best. If he makes it all the way back on the field... That's great! If he doesn't quite get there but can atleast enjoy life free from assisted movement That's great just the same. I'm sure he'll find himself content either way it unfolds. People with drive and good hearts usually do.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Why settle for simply walking? Why not aim high? It's not like if his goal is to play again that it will somehow negatively affect his chances of walking normally again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Watt, I’m not attacking you here so please don’t take it that way. You tend to have a pessimistic look on a lot of things. I tend to be fairly optimistic. I’ve found my attitude works for me and in general, for the most part, good things come from that attitude. I achieve my goals even when others don’t think they are “legit”. What’s wrong with him being positive? Why should he set a low goal in his mind?

12. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    First of all, don't take how I post on an NFL message board as how I live life. That would be a big mistake. But with the Steelers, I am more negative because I know them so well; it's not as if my realistic view, which can be viewed as negative, impacts, in any way, the success of the team - or lack thereof. Now, if I were coach, that would be a different story, but, alas, I am not. I find it a little bizarre that some feel that if THEY keep a positive attitude towards the team, it will somehow impact the team itself in a positive manner. It will not. It is irrelevant. However, I don't knock people who prefer to always stay positive of all things Steeler, if that's what floats their boat. And when I do offer a critical take, I want to be wrong.

With RS, if he needs to think he will play someday to motivate him in his rehab, then by all means, dream the dream and shoot for the stars. And I would never tell him, directly - either face to face or on twitter - that his goals are unrealistic. The only downfall of him thinking he will make it back, is he will be disappointed, or perhaps crestfallen, when it doesn't materialize, but it is his choice.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well said!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Seriously?

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I'm about as optimistic as anyone on this board, but with the injury he sustained, odds of him not playing are greater than the odds of playing. I don't believe you have to be a doctor to understand that. I will be praying he beats the odds and is able to play the game again (even if it weren't for the Steelers)!

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think I'd ever be able to watch him play again without being concerned that each hit could be the one that leaves him paralyzed. I know it can happen to any football player, but how would he not be at least a little more vulnerable? Also, I wonder how much he could change the way he plays. Shazier has always hit with his head down far too often.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think if RS ever makes it back on the field the new helmet rule will eliminate his head down habit, he may even be the reason they made the rule:

NFL's new helmet-hitting rule is in place, but will it have the desired effect? ... The NFL announced Tuesday it had ratified the rule, which is to result in a 15-yard penalty and a possible ejection whenever a player lowers his head to initiate contact with an opponent.Mar 28, 2018

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

[​IMG]

19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    RS whole game is based on speed.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think there is any question that Shazier's injury was part of the reason for the new rule. I'm just not sure it would be so easy for him to change the way he hits.