1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it any wonder why Bell wants max $?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 30, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    So only football lives matter?

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your characterization of him as lacking common sense is fair. While I haven't been entirely polite, I have engaged in a legitimate discussion of the issue. I can't force him to pull his head out of the sand, but I can post accurate information to counter his foolishness.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently not.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben told reporters that he would have been at every OTA if the coach had wanted him to.

Here is my reaction .

tenor.gif
    [​IMG]

5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Once again, you are completely missing the point.

Not everything was equal.
    One eats the marshmallow, the other waits to try to get two.
    That was the whole point of the study: with everything else being equal, does the patient kid end up better off (later in life) than the kid who doesn't wait? And the answer turns out to be "no".

You are the one complaining about impulse control and temptation, and referenced the study as justification.

(BTW, the first study only took kids who were living around Stanford. That is not diversity.

The second study took a wide variety of kids, but then only made comparisons between kids who started with similar mental abilities and environments. That's apples-to-apples. They didn't make any restrictions on where the kids ended up.)

When a player is given a back-end loaded contract with little guaranteed money, they are usually cut before they can get the big money (aiming for two marshmallows, end up with less than one).

6. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    You are talking about Ben... in a Bell / brain-dissection thread.
    Thread hijack in progress! :hijacked:

7. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

If I make things equal, then conduct a test, then the results come out equal, how is that a test? That's not a test.

People are not equal. Some are tall, some are short, some are smarter than others (remember class ranking in high school?), some are reckless, some are afraid, some are athletes, some are clumsy, some are musically talented, some are artistic, some are mathematicians. Everyone is so sensitive about saying that someone else is better but we all know that some people are just better at certain things.

Maybe impulsiveness goes along with poor intelligence? One study isn't enough to know for sure but the first study attempted to find out. The second study could not find that out because they avoided disimilar mental abilities.

How is the first study diverse when all the kids came from around Stanford? They couldn't exactly fly in kids from North Korea but they should have conducted the tests in many schools instead of just at the university.

Players are usually cut before they get big money? The good players don't get cut unless they are some kind of trouble to the team and now with all the guaranteed money it doesn't matter as much whether they get to the last year of their contract or not.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    DA167E16-A7F9-422C-945B-F71FF6BA7CFF.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  10. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Let the cancer go. If I were paying him that kind of money and he did whatever he wanted to do, he would be gone and I would have written that in his contract. No show for camp you go. End of your Steeler career. Now we look for someone that is willing to be a team player.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Did nobody ever tell you not to bite off your nose to spite your face? That's exactly what the Steelers would be doing by cutting Bell loose at this point. Maybe it would have made sense at the start of the offseason. Then they could have redistributed the money and either signed or drafted a running back to take his place.

Now, it would significantly weaken the team for 2018. Like it or not, if they want to make a run at the Super Bowl in 2018, they need Bell.