1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it any wonder why Bell wants max $?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 30, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought there was only one doctor who believed that CTE was real. Now you are saying there are more!? Perhaps you should try explaining this to Matrix.

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I smoked, heavily, for 39 years and was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 1/2 years after I quit. Was smoking the cause? Probably, though I've worked with a lot of different paints, varnishes, thinners through the years. Smoking was the MOST likely cause just like head trauma is the MOST likely cause of CTE.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

Doctors have a saying, "If you live long enough you will eventually die of cancer."

When your cells divide DNA makes mistakes during replication. There is a certain component of the nucleus that goes along and fixes those mistakes but it doesn't catch everything. Over time the mistakes increase and cause cancer. But some people get cancer and die very young while others die of cancer in their 90's. We just don't know enough about genes.

4. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    How many school teachers brains did they examine? If you're only looking at football players brains then you can only find it in football players.

How many of those ex-football players lived in their trucks?

How many genetic diseases come on later in life?

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So the hockey players don't count either?

6. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Do you know any very old people? Do they have trouble remembering things? I'm not talking about alzheimers either, I'm talking about a normal old person, a lady who has been a housewife her whole life and did not play football. We just say that the person is "getting old" but there has to be some change in the brain to make it more difficult to remember things.

CTE might be normal degeneration caused by aging but we just don't know. Study of the brain has a long way to go, so do genetics, and so does understanding what causes this CTE thing.

7. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Where are the house wives and school teachers? When you define your control group to a small section of the public, that's forcing a result.

What if I only examined TV game show hosts for a certain disease? Then I would only find it in game show hosts.

8. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    If you knew anything about how science works you would know that someone makes a claim, other scientists try to verify it. But you don't.

You guys really got into that movie, didn't you? And it was the most boring movie ever but it shows the power that Hollywood has over the uneducated.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In regards to the comment that player's claiming CTE in a grab for money because the
    So if a high level of first responders suffered from post traumatic stress disorders we would need to look at corresponding data among non first responders to see if similar levels of PTSD existed in order to conclude that it is not the environment in which they work that is causing the PTSD but genetic factors or it simply is a coincidence and PTSD doesn't truly exsist.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Here, read the entire study report before you start throwing out your hypotheticals:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nfl-cte-99-percent_us_5977621ce4b0e201d5786da9

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Can we get back to talking about the Steelers?

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    When you only examine ex-football players brains for a disease you are only going to find that disease in ex-football players brains.

And, how many of those players lived in their trucks?

What was the percentage of housewives who have it? They don't know because they only looked at athletes. Normal people don't want their brains removed and sliced up after their death. Athletes do want their brains to be sliced up now because that could be money for their families.

This CTE thing is in it's VERY early stages.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You said in an earlier post that I was older than dirt so...…………...yes!

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's funny. You accused me of regurgitating what I learned from a movie, but regarding CTE, it actually seems like you are the one who only knows what was in Concussion.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Some of these thread have careened to the point of no return

However, I also would like to get back to simply talking about the Steelers personally. :)

That is the sole reason of the formation of TheSteelersFans.com if I recall.

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Good lord this country is screwed

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

In your example, the cause could be the normal result of ANY stress. Or it could be caused by aging. Or genetics. Or some combination of all three. This is why it takes many studies looking at many groups not just one study done by Boston that only looked at athletes. They were trying to confirm CTE is real and in the population other than Mike Webster, not confirm it is caused by concussions. We have a ways to go before there is proof of that.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is plenty of talk about the Steelers. The topic of brain injuries is important as well and it relates to every team in the NFL, including the Steelers. The public story of the discovery of CTE is tied to Pittsburgh and quite a few Steelers have has very public issues with brain injuries, so the topic is clearly relevant.

I'm not just talking about Webster. Justin Strzelczyk also had CTE. Hoge suffered his brain injury when he was with the Bears, but he certainly has a connection to the Steelers. Troy Polamalu faced concerns about his long-term health because he suffered so many concussions before he even reached the NFL. There was also the issue of Hines Ward criticizing Ben Roethlisberger for reporting that he still had concussion symptoms, causing the quarterback to miss a key game against the Ravens. That story illustrates the cultural shift that needed to happen in football to help better prevent and treat brain injuries.

It certainly isn't as much fun as trying to figure out how the defense could improve or how the offense might find more consistency in 2018, but it is absolutely a discussion worth having.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    http://pnl.bwh.harvard.edu/education/what-is/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy/

This summary of existing research suggests a range of non-athletes have been examined, and while there are several variables at play, repetitive head trauma is the consistent one across all areas.

It also suggests genetics may be a factor in why some develop it and others don’t. That’s obviously different to saying it’s genetics alone that causes it - the bangs to the head always play a part, at least from what the evidence suggests at this point.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Funny you should mention that, because a recent study shows that the Stanford experiment was flawed.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/marshmallow-test-of-self-control-may-not-be-correct-2018-5

The original study had a statistically limited, non-diverse sample.
    The more recent study, with a much larger, diverse group, shows that "impulse control" had very little correlation with long-term success, once other factors (in particular social and economic factors) were accounted for.

In particular, the kid from a poor background will take the marshmallow now, because there is always the risk that the person giving the experiment was lying, so the kid could end up with no marshmallows if they waited.
    (There was a strong correlation between how much the kid trusted the tester, and how long the kid could resist "temptation".)

There is a reason for the saying, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm not gonna get into whether or not it's relevant to the Steelers. That's up to the Mods to decide.

As far as you and matrix discussing the topic, thats pretty much a joke. It's pretty much one guy with a bunch of smart ass sarcastic put downs debating another guy who's oblivious to commonsense.

Basically just a couple Jag offs having a pissing contest. you're not going to change that guy's mind. Let him think what he wants.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'll just say this...

All them warning labels and stickers came to be for some many reasons. Just because you own a lawnmower doesn't mean you're gonna lose 4 fingers when when you pop off the catch bag. most people never will BUT it happened enough to warrant a dummy label being posted on the machinery.

23. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

All of the supposed symptoms are based on Mike Webster.

Also notice that they left out the number of cases that did not have CTE. They're saying they've found it in people who have experienced head trauma. How many housewives had it or did not have it? How many football players did not have it?

"The symptoms of CTE begin years or even decades following exposure to repetitive blows to the head..." How many test subjects were followed for how many years to determine onset of symptoms and then after death verified to have CTE? None. They're getting all of the supposed symptoms from Mike Webster.

"At this point the underlying genetics of CTE are unknown." Boom. That's it right there. They don't know and they are making symptom assumptions based on Mike Webster.

The page goes on to explain they are going to test for a protein they think is causing the CTE. They are going to test people "presumed" to have CTE to see if they can see the change in the brain taking place but they need to test other people who are not presumed to have CTE also to make a correlation. Is it in the entire population or is it just in head trauma cases?

24. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    They rigged the experiment. This second time they made comparisons of kids with nearly identical cognitive abilities and home environments. No wonder the results came out the same.

They found that when all of those early childhood measures were equal, a young kid's ability to wait to eat a marshmallow had almost no effect on their future success in school or life.

The first study took kids, any kids, not measuring cognitive abilities or home environments.

The second study took kids who all had the same mental abilities and home environments. That's not diversity. That's rigging the experiment.

That's like saying if everything is equal, then everything comes out equal.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush? So you're a one marshmallow person then?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Forget about football, fans, teams, coaches and commissioners opinions. I can't believe that we just stopped caring about the human beings. Did Ryan Shazier teach us nothing? It's a sport and they get paid big money to do it, but when it's all said and done .... these are human beings that deserve some empathy. Especially, after bringing some happiness and bragging rights in our pathetic lives

• Agree Agree x 1