1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it any wonder why Bell wants max $?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 30, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you still not get how flawed your premise is or are you just too stubborn to concede well after you've lost the argument? It's one of the two, and I'm really not sure which is worse.

That you think knowledge of CTE comes only from one doctor just proves how little you know about the subject. The NFL even acknowledged the link after desperately fighting against it for years.

Now you think you can evaluate another man's cognitive functions by watching him on television for a few moments. You really are reaching stunning levels of ignorance and delusion. No, you don't know that Hoge doesn't have CTE. You are so lost here that you are don't even realize how little you know about this topic.

You also want to slam an entire profession in your desperation to discredit me. Sorry, the ad hominem attacks aren't going to cut it. You are losing badly here and you don't even realize it.

Journalists understand how to research a topic, either to fill gaps in their knowledge or to support what they already know. You clearly have no idea how to do any of that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No I didn't.

4. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    You say concussions could cause CTE but they also might not in some people. You magically arrived at this conclusion only after I pointed out that most NFL players don't have CTE.

My post #49. Could concussions cause damage to the brain? Sure, but how come every NFL player doesn't have it then?

5. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Have you ever heard of the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

This psychologist Walter Mischel conducted an experiment in the '60's and '70's. He asked people to bring in their small children and they would put the child in a room alone. A lady would walk in and set a marshmallow on the table and then tell the child that when she left the child could then eat the marshmallow but if the child could wait 15 minutes the lady would bring in another marshmallow that the child could eat.

Some of the kids waited the 15 minutes, some couldn't wait and ate it. Mischel kept track of the kids over the next 30 years. The kids who could not wait 15 minutes had more problems with drug addiction, had worse SAT scores, spent more time in jail, and were less successful than the other kids. Later on Mischel conducted brain scans and found out that there were observable differences in the way the brains worked between the compulsive kids and the savers.

Some people can't control their impulses. They think they can just do what they want to do and they never consider long term consequences. They can't resist any temptation.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you really not see how absurd this statement is or are you just trolling?

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    There are some posters on this message board like that!

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Without a doubt! :lolol:

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You have posted no information of value on this topic. To be clear, nothing you have posted has shaped my views regarding brain injuries in any way. The only influence you have on my posts is my attempts to shape them in a way that might break through your willful ignorance. You really have to stop trying to take credit for knowledge you don't have.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I can't stand surcharges at ATM machines.

11. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    CFS

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I like turtles!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Care to try that again? Better yet, just walk away and leave the conversation to adults who actually don't want to swallow crap the NFL doesn't even bother trying to shovel any more.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Care to try that again? Better yet, just walk away and leave the conversation to adults who actually don't want to swallow crap the NFL doesn't even bother trying to shovel any more.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This thread has gone from debating Bell's contract to debating about a very serious neurological issue. I find this intriguing.

On that note, do people really believe CTE cannot be developed through repeated head trauma? :hmm:

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Hell with Bell's demands AND CTE. I wanna know what CFS means?!?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't people. It's one person, and I do wonder if he is just playing games.

The discussion of brain injuries, especially CTE, is an important one. We've got plenty of threads about Bell's contract, so don't think it's such a bad thing that this thread got lost in a tangent.

18. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Can't Fix Stupid by Ron White.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  19. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    I never said that. What I said was we don't know what causes CTE just like we don't know enough about many genetic diseases. Mike Webster had CTE but most NFL players, even players from the 60's and 70's, don't have it and even heavyweight boxers like George Foreman don't have it. So, that is proof that there is more to it than just concussions. There is a genetic factor and it's more probable that it's entirely genetic, like ALS. Lou Gehrig didn't get ALS from sliding into bases. He was born with it. Science just doesn't know enough about the brain, our understanding of it is still in it's infancy.

You all jumped on the CTE bandwagon way too quickly. Why do football fans would WANT CTE to be caused by football? If it is proven that concussions cause CTE, you know that would be the end of all football, right?

You saw a movie and you figure it has to be real because it was in the movies. And the doctor who came up with this CTE, he really made a name for himself. Science doesn't work that way. It takes time, years. It takes confirmation by others and RELATABLE evidence. Right now, there isn't any relatable evidence. Mike had a messed up brain. It could be ENTIRELY genetic and likely is ENTIRELY genetic because MOST football players DON'T have CTE.

If CTE is caused by concussions, ALL or at least MOST NFL players and ALL or MOST boxers should have it and they don't. That right there is proof that it's not caused just by concussions. Could concussions be a contributing factor? Sure, but we don't know enough yet to say one way or the other. It's speculation at this point, not proof.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Let me give you another example, if I asked you whether smoking causes lung cancer you would probably say "Yes."

There are people who start smoking at age 16 and by age 28 they are dead from lung cancer.

There is a man I know who started smoking at age 15 and smoked his entire life and died two years ago at age 90. He died of cancer but not lung cancer.

So, does smoking cause lung cancer or not? Yes, or no? Just answering "Yes" is giving a simple answer but it's not entirely correct. Genes play an incredible role and we just don't know enough about them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In keeping with the above, and I’m not really arguing one way or another:

Years ago I saw a research study involving rats. Some were given smoke, some high fat diets, some alcohol, etc. sure enough, they died from cancer, heart disease and liver problems. Funny part is they all died at about the same age, and at about the same age as the ones kept healthy. It was as if there was a defined age at birth and the body just broke down on schedule based on whatever was an extreme, if any.

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Gotcha. Thank you.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Researchers from VA Boston Healthcare System (VABHS) and Boston University School of Medicine looked at the brains of 202 deceased American football players. All told, the researchers found 87 percent of the players to have CTE, a degenerative brain disease commonly found in athletes and military veterans with a history of head trauma.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You're right, then. I really should stop trying to fix you.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is a risk factor. There are multiple risk factors for lung cancer. You really should stop posting as if you understand these topics when you clearly do not.

• Like Like x 1