1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coaching

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jun 1, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    no worries my friend, i knew he had the position in title but I really thought it was a "gesture" by the Steeler FO to placate a long time coach ala Russ Grimm (although Grimm had the playing pedigree to compliment). I really had no idea what that title meant and what the position had responsibilities for. Thanks to @AskQuestionsLater for describing some of those....

I still maintain he is the disciplinarian part of the HC side and would like to see if he has other interactions. All the malcontents are gone imo, except Bell, who has financial disagreements. That's out of his hands imo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    like Pouncey said, Ben doesn't need to be out there throwing a 15 yard curl. I'm OK with it. Some of the vets dont need to be there. And it probably helps the young players, rookies, and UDFAs to get the extra reps provided by some of the starters not being there.

As to the tuning out part.... I've read report after report that NFL veterans respect MT and would love to play for him. I'm not in the locker room either, but the team (FO, Colbert, Tomlin, facilities) are continually rated above average. There is no duct tape on the workout benches lol.

My main point is the structure in place is top notch. Period. It takes two to tango. The players have to buy in as well. Financial demands are a separate entity imo driven by agents and ego. Very tough for MT to reconcile that.

I feel ya, Wardismvp, we all love the Heath Miller types, hell I had him as my avator for several years on here. The chess pieces are changing. That's all I got on that.

3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't think coach T even will think of retiring Mac. Think he is only 48 now. I retired from the Marines when I was 47, that is only because you could only do 30 years then. If it wasn't for that I would have 52 years in LOL. Can'r believe I been retired for 22 years

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    but dont you still go and teach some there sarge? you could probably still whip them new recruits into men sarge. :smiley1::cool:

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You don’t look a day over 68. :smiley1:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

its not just the player chess pieces that have been changing. coaches and long time scouts are or have retired so they are being replaced. that part of colberts job doesnt get the same press but it's an important cog in the wheel. :cool:

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin might 'retire' the same way Bruce Arians and Dick Lebeau 'retired' from the Steelers.

8. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Haha JEH thanks I'll be 70 next month

9. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    With their position coaches I think they’re too loyal to a fault!Former players with the team generally has not worked favorably with the Steelers.I’m sure Lake is a great guy but that doesn’t translate to being a great coach!I loved Porter as a player but same thing here!The new additions will definitely be a positive!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't go teach Mac but, most folks who knew me back then or newer enlisted leaders still call me Sergeant Major. When the younger Marines hear that, they usually disappear hahaha.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    My bad Sarge. I thought you still went to the base and did some stuff from time to time. You earned that rank and should be respected for it my friend.

You still shooting on tue.? Did you try the Smith's?:cool:

13. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep Tuesday at 1600 every week. Shooting partner has a .380 body guard. I shot it. Like it but I have 5 Bersa's two .380's and three 9MM. Also have a browning .380 auto, Wife said I got enough pistols LOL. The sights on My .380 CC are too low for my old eyes but all others are good. Don't tell my wife but I am thinking about grabbing a S&W 357 wheel gun

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Players on just about every team skip OTAs, they're voluntary :shrug:.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Check the Taurus and the Smith before you decide. Much of the S&W wheel guns came from Taurus. They were once owned by the same parent company and the technology was shared and not all was from the S&W side. Both are like twins but one costs a bit less. Model 65 are twins. Check them out if your range has them. Go Stillers. < there keeps this talk official. :lolol::cool:

16. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    IMO Tomlins time here is almost up. Where there’s smoke there is fire and all these reports of him not having his room under control is about the worst look a HC can have. And let’s face it he has never been known as a great Xs and Os guy or in game adjuster. If he doesn’t have the players respect anymore what the hell is his value here. Cheerleader I suppose.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Same thing was said about Cowher. Regardless of our opinions of Tomlin...he's here to stay as long as he wants to coach. No amount of bitching and whining on a message board is going to change that. Fact. Truth.

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I will Mac. Thanks. GO STILLERS

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If the Rooney family has proven anything, it's that they aren't nearsighted-thinking people. Unless your name is Art Rooney ll, you don't know what the future holds for Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So just because the Steelers have always been loyal it means they cannot change with the times. Players are different today than even 10-15 years ago. Way more money plus social media. If the coach has lost the room it’s time for a change. Or we can keep watching us lose to lesser opponents and not winning playoff games.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The old saying that you are as good as the people around you holds true here. MT has some good people around him. The defensive side is adding but not quite there yet. :cool:

22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I become a Kimber ( 9mm and .45, the 9mm is my carry, and Sig Sauer (9mm) man my self. Love their pistols.
    But own several S and W's.
    I would like to get a Taraus Judge. Something cool about shooting a .410 shotgun shell out of a pistol.

I knew I liked you guys Steelers and Pistols fans.

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Isn't he about 5 months late on this? I had to check the date on this story and would have sworn it had to be from January!

24. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    No, it probably won't, just when people stop buying tickets....now that will change things. We aren't there yet, but a few more seasons fraught with MT infamous lack of focus and discipline....

25. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    5 months old or not, he is right on the $.