1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers biggest blunder in off-season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I've been saying this ever since the draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2778455-every-nfl-teams-biggest-mistake-so-far-this-offseason

1. Ryan Shazier's tragic neck injury made inside linebacker one of the Steelers' biggest needs going into the offseason.

Though there were plenty of tackle machines available in free agency and a strong, athletic group in the draft, the Steelers came out of the offseason with only Jon Bostic as a replacement for Shazier.

Perhaps the Steelers have future plans for veteran safety Morgan Burnett or first-round pick Terrell Edmunds to drop into the box and play linebacker in a few subpackages. That would help negate some of the speed and versatility lost in Shazier, who was among the NFL's fastest and most reliable coverage linebackers prior to his injury.

Bostic revived his fading career with a 97-tackle season in Indianapolis last season, but the Steelers going from Shazier to Bostic would be a drastic drop-off in the middle of Pittsburgh's defense in 2018. Not doing more to add help at the position could come back to bite the Steelers.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The steelers are very high on Tyler matakevich. He was a 4 year starter in college that had over 100 tackles a year. They also picked up Mathew Thomas. They still have Keith Kelsey, Matt galambos, LJ fort who are more NFL ready than those strong athletic guys you speak of because they are not a guarantee. These guys have at least a year in our program already and fort even longer. This to go along with bostic.

We get its not the picks you want but it doesn't mean you are right. They do this for a living. I know none of these guys came in and stopped the jags last year in that game so they must be hot garbage according to you and your thinking. We get it they might have messed up one play also which too puts them in the not worthy category for you.

All this is really getting tiresome. Is there anything you like about the team you say you follow?

Oh and by the way the 3rd round pick offensive tackle that these blundering boobs picked looks like a pretty smart move now that Hawkins went down. I guess some late 3rd Rd. Linebacker could have filled in that spot though. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    images (1).png

Biggest blunder? Not locking up Juju''s bike to a long term deal.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Are you the alt account of RealSteel?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Nah, that’s TTF.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    If any of the leftover guys from last season were worth warm spit, how come they brought in and STARTED a guy who was not on ANY team (not even practice squad), coming off a severe knee injury (and played like it; did you see him try to run to tackles on sweeps?) instead of playing any of the guys you mentioned (except angry Red who was hurt)? I already said I have some hope for Thomas (so much for claiming I never have anything positive to say). And I had no problem with them drafting an OT, I just had a problem with them not finding ANY pick to take an ILB. And this article supports my view, being they called the Steelers not getting a better ILB in here the very worst move of their entire off season. Boom. Smoke that turkey dog and click those heels.

Maybe they will get lucky and Red will stay healthy all year or Thomas pans out. But that still won't prove their decision to do so little to upgrade ILB was a prudent move.

7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Actually it would. It means that their talent evaluation was spot on and used draft picks in other areas of need. A general manager can’t look at just the needs for the upcoming year. If he doesn’t look at the big picture(2-3 years) then we become the browns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

So...

You described your own raw emotions I see. Not sure what you wanted me to do with such information but any sort of information is still information.

As such,

[​IMG]

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with Bostic...He had a good year, Without have many good players around him

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He is average at best, though that still makes him a big upgrade over what they had after Shazier's injury. Inside linebacker is still a significant weakness with Bostic and Williams there.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Over and over and over and over and over and over.

And repeatedly quoting someone else’s thoughts.

I’m surprised some of the more literate members of this board haven’t declared plagiarism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wanted them to address the ILB position as well more than they did. But Bostic might be the answer. We have more talent on our defense than the Colts and he might be even better. Remember James Farrior, James Harrison, or even Jerry O if you want to go back. We didn't know what we had but they played pretty well.
    Let's see what shakes out at the end of this year and see what direction we go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh I really want to Jeh. It is the equivalent of a bite from a bug; obnoxious.

However, the reason I have not quite yet is due to the fact that I am more intrigued to see how far this can go. Sure, the squeaking does become nauseating for certain. Sometimes though, there are certain noises that can create some interesting satire.

Within that same vein, as I said, the proverbial "Gold Bond" is capable of wearing off. Key though is to keep said hydrocortisone cream stocked in the proverbial "medicene cabinet".

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    They got rid of two of the guys they tried, Spence and moats and replaced them with bostic and a healthy matakevich. They did play fort, and Kelsey and galambos were rookies on the PS at the time. Then there is the Thomas addition so I'll raise your turkey dog to a bratwurst and the heel clicking is all you Dorothy.:smiley1::cool:

16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Biggest blunder was not moving up in the first round to get Rahsaan Evans.They tried by trading Bryant to the Raiders thinking that 3rd round position plus their first round would be enough to move up high enough to get him.Nobody bit as they tried and the Titans get the prize!Evans in my opinion has the most upside of any linebacker in the draft and would have filled the ILB position we sought after in the first round.After that fell through I felt Edmunds was a reach in the first round and could have been picked in the second.Not saying that he won’t succeed as he has hybrid written all over him but I really wanted Evans!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dirty Red. He will start this season and Edmonds will also be in the mix.

18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I don't think the roster we have today is going to be the same starting roster we have on week 1. It's a little premature to be crying about what we did and didn't do in the offseason when it's still the offseason.

19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Ummm, when you have a real shot for a ring, you better fill in holes of your most immediate needs or you're a fool.

20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    No it's not. It's sports. People have opinions. I hate the mentality of "you can't comment on a draft until 5 years..." crap. Fans are allowed to make predictions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Farrior was already a well-established NFL starter, a better one than Bostic. The only question was his move from playing outside linebacker in a 4-3 to inside in a 3-4 with the Steelers.

Olsavsky never started 16 games in a season. In fact he only started more than eight once and he wasn't very good.

Theoretically, you can use Harrison to justify anything, but you just don't have guys you pull off the scrap heap turn into All-Pros very often.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The saying is you wont know what you have in a draft until 3 seasons and its true.

Of course you can speculate before that but doesn't amount to :poopy:

(and that aint ice cream).

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Bostic had more NFL starts than farrior in his first 4 seasons. The stats are not really night and day different. I think bostic will work out well.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh... Mac... you should know by now.. :lolol:

Some forum members have quite an immense nugatory upon these aspects called historical evidence, analysis, and information gathering.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He presented one statistic, starts, which proves absolutely nothing. Also, nugatory is an adjective and you used it like a noun. Perhaps you should work on that.