1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coaching

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jun 1, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What many of us have been talking about for several years here, now the players are talking about. The DBs are talking about Bradley's knowledge and style of teaching the details and Hargreaves talking about what Dunbar is teaching. He says many things he didn't know. The WRs probably haven't gained as much as what Mann had taught but they still have an extremely veteran coach in Drake so it's probably a push. I think these additions are going to give huge rewards to this team finally.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Bradley for me no question.

I believe that people will have a change of heart when the secondary showcases considerable improvement down the stretch during the season. Of course there will be growing pains but the lessons learned will be vital for what is to come when the second half of the season commences.

As for Dunbar and Drake, I had no concerns about them anyway. Coach Mitchell will be someone to watch for certain. I would imagine he is there to keep Tomlin "in check" so to speak.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Do you think there is a chance in a few years, if MT retires that John Mitchell would get the head coaching job? His age is getting up there. :cool:

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Put a post out titled “coaching” and I see someone going ballistic with hatred and negativity. Just saying.

:scared:

5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Let's just get it out of the way...All the coaches suck, they don't know what they are doing, they should all be fired, they don't know how to manage the clock, no idea how to make in game decisions, they don't show the right expressions on the sideline during games, they are too friendly with the players (no discipline), and their mothers dress them funny...except Munchak, he is pretty good! Did I forget anything?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Atta boy.:lolol::cool:

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And then there's...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Makes you wonder what the hell took so long? Could it be that we are too cheap to pay better coaches or painfully slow to react to firing coaches who aren't getting the job done or both. I do agree the new hires look a lot more promising then what we had in place. IMO coaching from the top down has been a major part of hindering us from reaching the SB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    From all accounts John Mitchell is a no B.S. kinda guy/coach. He may have wanted to step down as he is getting up there in age, but they found a nice role for him as the asst. HC. He will be the "bad cop" to Tomlin's "good cop" approach. Maybe the team did see the need to reel the players in on the discipline side of things and it will be easier for Mitchell to do it since that's his nature anyway. Added bonus, Tomlin still keeps his players coach reputation.
    I just wonder if the Bryant trade was one of Mitchell's first initiatives...

Why it took so long for Lake?? who knows...Perhaps it was the minimal growth shown by Burns and Davis that finally did him in. Lake never once developed a draft pick (maybe Lewis but he left/got injured before he could sustain any success), most of our starters were FA pickups or trades. Just be glad he's not here now.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Mitchell has been the assistant head coach for quite a while now. :cool:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yea I knew that. Guess I meant more as his primary role.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry just because he is a no BS kinda guy doesn't make him a effective coach anymore. Personally I think his teachings and techniques are outdated and the performance of our DL especially against the run and in the playoffs sealed his fate. Almost always "the voice" gets old and it's time for a change. I highly doubt he had anything to do with MB I think you are giving him and his title too much credit. We all know the Steelers are a class organization and we handled both the Mitchell and Lake situations with that same class...
    I really think it's their way of letting Mitchell go graciously next year....like Mac said he already basically had the title of Asst. HC but I think they went out of their way this year to make it seem like he was getting a promotion. I just don't see him having a prominent role or impact and would be surprised if he was around past this season.....all IMO but to me a very likely scenario.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No. Sadly I do not.

As I have stated multiple times before, in all likelihood, two outcomes;

1.) Munchak becomes the new Head Coach.

Or

2.) Another Early to mid 30s person steps in to become the Steelers Head Coach.

Currently, I do see option one over two. However, all of this and more can and likely will change over time.

14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Idk.....Munchak is 58, Don't see him " taking over " at age 60, or older

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Did Mitchell's coaching title change? He's been around through Tomlin's tenure in Pittsburgh, hasn't put him 'in check' yet.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It did. He and Blaine Stewart are the only assistant coaches on the team; Blaine being the assistant coach.

John Mitchell is the Assistant Head Coach. His responsibilities range from overseeing current/former players towards giving said players and current coaches advice from either on the field and off the field as well. Essentially, think of him as a form of "public relations manager" for former/current players.

While this does not sound all that impressive, having both Mitchell and Stewart handle the personnel aspect of the game will allow Tomlin to be more direct in his approach towards preparing for events such as Training Camp, the preseason; the prologue to the 2018 NFL Season soon thereafter.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    OK didn't know if you knew that turtle.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The word around the Steel City is that the players have tuned coach T out. Not showing up for ota's
    Leaving OTA's early. It will be interesting how he runs camp this year.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The players are singing the praises of Bradley and Dunbar. This defense will be better by subtraction and addition. Very excited to see it work. :cool:

20. Abraham Powell

Abraham Powell Member

Feb 15, 2016

21. Abraham Powell

Abraham Powell Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Yes, to everything you said sir.

22. Abraham Powell

Abraham Powell Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Bradley is our best offseason addition. Like Mike Munchakish

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    60 really isn't that old for a coach. He's been in the NFL consistently as a player and coach since the early 80's. Plus he's a PA product. It would be an easy transition. Perfect fit.

24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Heard that about the Patriots, too. Hell, their qb and te not in camp. ex players criticizing bellicheck/the patriots way. bet their message board is a wreck to get rid of him.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In all seriousness, it is good to see the Steelers taking the Chuck Noll approach to coaching by hiring teaching coaches. It worked pretty well as Noll was assembling his staff in the 70s.

• Agree Agree x 4