1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it any wonder why Bell wants max $?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 30, 2018.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Agree, I ten to believe if there was interest it would've happened. Cleveland for sure wouldve **** the bed in getting it done though me thinks.

2. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Too many hands in the pile... Teams agents players rules etc... I really do think if a team showed genuine interest that it in no way couldn't be a bang bang process. We do supposedly know that he poo poo'ed his agents interest last off season for a good deal so who knows.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would imagine San Francisco may have been a bigger player personally than Cleveland.

Big money to offer, a young, exciting quarterback and an offensive line that is ascending and in dire need of a rushing attack with the assets to acquire one?

Why not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Agree just had to throw in Cleve over the division rival thing and the fact that they would've botched it somehow like the AJ thingy

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Possibly!

Then again, what John Dorsey showed me during the 2018 Draft also indicates he is far more unconventional than I gave him credit for.

Given his background, I was so sure he would have selected a Quarterback first and Bradley Chubb next.

.... He got one of two correct at least.

6. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    He had a job as a football analyst but he said "It wasn't for me," so he left that job.

Can everyone else just quit their job? Sure, but then they would be struggling to make it, right?

Most people don't get their dream job. They take whatever they can get and deal with it.

It's classy to ridicule someone with CTE? CTE can only be determined when the entire brain is cut into very thin pieces so, when did he have that procedure done?

So I'm supposed to feel sorry for someone who made millions in nine years and got caught trying to sell cocaine and then went on to a football analyst job but for some reason didn't like it and they spent all their money, probably on drugs, and now they are broke so they claim that they have football caused CTE?

No sympathy. Get a job, maybe a paper delivery route or mowing lawns.

7. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Yeah, I know, but it's football. It's a sport. It's a tough sport at times but it's still a sport. And the way camp is now there's no more hitting.

And they guy went to prison for selling cocaine. He's not a hero. No one owes him anything.

He's about 39, he can get a job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    No one asked you to feel sorry for him, but a complete lack of any compassion for a guy going through a rough patch ain't very evolved. What happened to you to make you so angry? And, ummm, the guy had a series of concussions and now exhibits signs of CTE. It doesn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How come no one gives a crap about head trauma and CTE in boxing? Do people only care when there are deep pockets?

10. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    All he has to do is get a job. Instead he is trying to use the CTE excuse to try and get free easy money from the NFL.

What made me so angry? Lazy criminal freeloaders who sell drugs and want hand outs because they don't want to get a real job.

He had some concussions? Who didn't? I crashed my bike once and was out for 20 seconds or so on the sidewalk. Everyone gets headaches. Everyone over reacts at times. Everyone goes through tough times. Be an adult and go and fix it in a mature way which is to:

GET. A. JOB.

Chik-Fil-A says it will pay people $17 an hour now. What's wrong with that?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Bell could have probably made 50 million dollars or more playing for the Steelers but apparently he wants about 80 million or more cause he thinks he may run out of money some day. Cry me a fricking river. I basically live paycheck to paycheck as do tens of millions of other Americans and he wants people like me to fund his elite (or possibly go broke) lifestyle. Obviously, he doesn't know who his customers really are, nor does he care. Tell me how many Steelers fans out there will purchase his jersey prior to game 1, if at all this coming season.

I purposely did not buy my son his jersey several years back cause I could see the writing on the wall with him. Obviously he is the I that is in the word team and will probably show rust again at the beginning of the season just like he did last year when he skipped out on all preseason activities. BTW, My son fully understands why I didn't get him the Bell jersey but he really loves his AB jersey.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Bell has at best 3 years of current productivity level. The choice for the Steelers then comes down to do they lock him in for say 15 larger or at the end of next year let him go. Guess that depends on next season.

Since the Steelers have been historically hold to their guns, I do not see them caving in. Somewhere along the line, I think both sides will compromise. Bell can say whatever he wants but the driving force here is his agent. His agent will get paid no matter what, and I think his agent might just say that taking 13 or so is the best deal he is going to get.

I really don't think that any team would sign him long term, say for 5 years at 17. He has mileage and those teams know it too.

Now, if he wants to play superman and hold out and then move on, so be it. I'm happy if the Steelers genuinely try and get a deal done. You can't make the horse drink. Hopefully, someone close to him will bend his ear and advise him wisely and hopefully he will listen.

rutan

13. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    I will admit than high schools don't teach students the one thing that is most critical to success and that is how to manage money.

They should teach students how to balance a checkbook, teach them about how interest works, about how to buy a car, how to buy a house, credit cards, various wages for jobs, how to do an EZ tax form, how to prepare a resume, and they should practice job interviews. It should be a mandatory class that they should have to take as a junior or senior.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Funny, I thought this was the job of parents?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't know these days, but there was a time when the answer would have been none.

16. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Do you think they're doing a good job at it?

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Some. Just like anything else

18. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Dude, I agree with you more than I disagree. But I don' think we took as many hard hits as this dude.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

If he has CTE, your little 20 second laps of consciousness isn't even in the same universe of what he is suffering from. Which from the sounds of that article, he does. Degenerative brain disease can make even working a chick fil a difficult task.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

You guys really fell for his act, huh?

How come Franco Harris doesn't have this CTE? Or Lynn Swann? Or Jack Ham? Or Greg Lloyd? Or Jack Lambert? Or Dermonti Dawson? Or Mel Blount? Back then there wasn't the protective rules and players got hit harder and a lot more.

I know Mike Webster was messed up but it should be all of them, not just one or two out of hundreds who have this CTE.

Jamal Lewis just wants easy money from the NFL.

It's all pretend.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Mine did

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If I was in his position, I'd do the same thing. At the end of the day, it is your life. You have to take care of yourself and those around you.

With that said, I would have skipped the rap song preaching about it. I think that shows an immaturity on his part and doesn't help his case. Plenty of other more important things to rap about that can make a positive impact with his influence.

Someone will pay him the big money he wants on the free agent market. I think he'll realize though that he has a lot of fringe benefits in the Burgh with our O-line, Big Ben, AB, etc.. He could be making bank right now with endorsements but is ruining his image in the burgh with his antics.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Green font? You're kidding, right? Please tell me you are kidding.

No, Bell doesn't deserve some ridiculous salary in relation to the other running backs in the NFL due to the risk of CTE because every player in the NFL faces that risk. But to dismiss the threat is foolish at best. CTE is a very real concern and hiding behind ignorance of the topic helps no one.

24. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

My posts are not in green font so I don't know what you are talking about.

CTE is an excuse to get more money. Could concussions cause damage to the brain? Sure, but how come every NFL player doesn't have it then?

Here's what happened, Mike Webster went crazy, probably from taking too many steroids. A doctor wanted to become famous and discover something new so he examined Webster's brain and found damage. No one had to examine Mike Webster's brain to know he was a messed up guy and likely had brain damage. Statistically some NFL players are going to go crazy as they get older.

So the NFL is scared because this could shut them down. It could shut down all football, college and high school and pee wee. So the NFL is paying the families off to keep them quiet. Once other players found out about it they "suddenly" have CTE too.

Look at this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

All of the players on the lawsuit are nobody's. They played a few years and didn't get paid many millions so they are "claiming" CTE.

How come the NFL super stars are not on the list? How come Dermonti Dawson doesn't have CTE or Jack Lambert or Jack Ham or Mel Blount or Lynn Swann or Stallworth or Barry Sanders or Terry Bradshaw or Troy Aikman or Theisman, Elway, or Mike Ditka?

If CTE is caused by concussions it should happen to every single player.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just some of the names that jumped out at me:
    Terry Hanratty.....hmm, sounds familiar.....
    Dan Pastorini
    Frank Pollard
    Roosevelt Potts
    Rickey Hunley
    Mark Rypien
    Leon Searcy
    Plus Junior Seau's family has their own lawsuit against the NFL.
    Nobodies, indeed!