1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you realize our starting D backfield...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 30, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    ...consists of three first round draft picks (Haden, Burns, Edmunds) and one second round pick? (Davis)

Come on, that unit should be lights out. (Unfortunately, Davis, Burns and Edmunds may all have been reaches though.) If you stack a unit with 3 first rounders and a second rounder, it better be top shelf, or you're probably in trouble. You HAVE to cash in on picks that high, or you become the Browns.

This is the year that our backfield goes from a liability to a strength, and, if not, heads need to roll.

2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Any unit on the team (or any team) usually needs time together, in order to perform well.
    (Part of the strength of the Steelers OL is the stability of the years working as a unit.)
    If the backfield remains intact come next year, I think they will be even better than this year.

Will agree that the team will need them to not be a liability this year, despite all the new players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The secondary has a lot of new parts this year, hopefully they will jell quickly & become a strength.
    Stopping the run is still our biggest challenge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The starting line up hasn't been determined yet but your guess at the starters is a bit off base. In their base 3-4 alignment the most likely starters barring injury at this point are Haden and Burns at CB, Burnett and Davis at safety. In nickel situations I think you will see Hilton in at slot corner and blitzing off the edge. In the talked about dime coverage you will see Edmunds or Allen as a third safety in the box replacing an ILB and covering the short to intermediate zone with Davis and Burnett providing over the top coverage or deep middle.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is this maybe why Carnell Lake “retired”? Can Bradley take us to the next step? Or were they reaches? It’s going to be interesting, hopefully fun, to watch it unfold. I’m just hopeing the growing pains at the beginning of the season don’t cause us to miss the post season.

6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    If your first round pick isn't playing as a starter (other than QB sometimes) you FAILED at drafting. If TE is worthy of a 1st round pick, he should be superior to anyone else at his position, these days. 20 years ago (or 40) maybe not, but in this day and age, your 1st round pick better be playing or he was a poor pick. So yes, the starting backfield should be Burns, Haden, TE and Davis - it doesn't matter who plays in the nickel or dime.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    So you are saying that Heyward is a failure? He didn't start until his 3rd year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Or timmons, or Troy, or Ben, or burns. :cool:

9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    If I recall correctly, all four ended up starting as rookies - not week one, but DID end up starting year 1.

Also, even only going back as far as Timmons and Troy, the league was different then; now teams feel like they need production out of rookies, look at the Saints last year: a lot of rookies contributed. It's a different game than it used to be.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You're right, and, yes, if drafted today in the 1st round, he would be expected to start sometime in is rookie season. Look around. Teams usually bank on their 1st rounders starting in year one (except some QBs, but even they are starting in their 1st year these days).

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I posted a while ago that I think the secondary will be a strength this season.

I think the defense overall will be better than people think.

IF... they eliminate the big plays. I think no Mitchel and moving Davis over plus the addition of Burnett and Edmunds will go a long way to cleaning that up.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

So Troy Polamalu now constitutes as a failure? Fascinating I had no idea he did fail.

Care to explain where this First Ballot Hall of Famer went wrong in his career?

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The big plays is the key. Much of this will have to do with Bradley.

Is he capable of simplifying communication to a point in which the secondary can easily call out specific tendencies and offer counter-measures towards those issues?

We shall soon see.

14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You don't realize 2003 was a lot different than 2018? Seriously? And 2003 was still Dick LeBeau era - where no rookies played for the most part, although TP did get playing time as a rookie.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh I realize these aspects perfectly.

What I don't realize is how one excoriates a first round pick in spite and despite the fact that there are a multi arrary of circumstances? Dick LeBeau or otherwise, as you stated, a first round pick that does not start is a "failure".

If we are applying that term to all first round picks drafted by Colbert then we need to apply them to every player; circumstances being irrelevant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I read something on Steelers Depot that Bradley has simplified things for the secondary, hopefully we won't see those breakdowns like last season.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    FYI: Tim Lewis was D coordinator in '03. LeBeau didn't return until '04 season.

18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No way Burnett DOESN'T start..Very good player, and our key free agent signing...We signed him for a reason

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. I don't see Edmunds starting unless there are injuries.

Also, I don't think Davis was a reach, though lack of progress last season was disappointing.

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Generate a good pass rush and that unit will become much better in a hurry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree he may not officially start but we play that sub package defense so much now that he will consistently be on the field. :cool:

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like the poster above said, Burnett will be playing. That is the Steelers prize FA until they sign Hendricks LOL.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    PWP will argue then he is the “starting” nickle back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Wasn't this the same point about the o line a few years back?

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    All I know is if our defense sucks with this many 1-2 rounders then butler has to go.....

Review more tape because Rooney won’t fire him lol