1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should AB be quiet about Bell missing OTAs and camp?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, May 25, 2018.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Le’Veon Bell should tell Antonio Brown to mind his own business
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 24, 2018, 9:46 AM EDT

The man who likes to say “business is booming” arguably should be minding his own business.

For the second straight year, Steelers receiver Antonio Brown is publicly imploring Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell to show up at a time when Bell isn’t even under contract with the team.

“Well, the first rule of getting better is showing up,” Brown said regarding Bell. “You can’t make anything better without showing up. So I think if you show up, I think everyone will understand where you want to be. That you wants to be here not just this year but for years to come. Come out here and show up, show you want to get better and show guys you’re serious.”

Last year, Brown waited until training camp to begin a public campaign to cajole Bell into showing up. The comments emerged as part of what seemed to be an effort by the team to get Bell to sign his franchise tender or risk the ire of the fan base.

Ultimately, Bell’s absence traces to the team’s decision to use the franchise tag for a second straight year. If the Steelers think he wants too much money, they should have let him hit the open market and signed him to a new deal once he realized that he had overestimated the demand for his services.

Instead, the Steelers restricted Bell’s ability to leave. And the chosen device gives Bell the ability to stay away until Labor Day, if he wants. It’s his only leverage, his only way to get the kind of long-term deal that he thinks he deserves.

So if Brown has concerns about Bell not being there, Brown shouldn’t be publicly (or privately) pressuring Bell to show up, where he’d perhaps tear an ACL. Brown should be pressuring the front office to take care of Bell the same way the front office has taken care of Brown. Twice.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Nope, Brown is absolutely right.I wish Ben,Cam, pouncy, and anyone else who fancy themselves a leader would do the same. Show up, shut up and play and Bell will get his deal. If he is worried about injury just remember they left the wrapper on Harrison all of last year. Show up take part in team building, let the young guys get their reps, stay healthy and ready

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto, Brown is showing leadership. We need more of this.

And Florio is 100% wrong on this being Bell’s only leverage. Holding out gives him no additional leverage. He has zero leverage.

I do agree with the tear an ACL part.

Personally, I’m not sure if I would show class and work with my team to better myself and the team, or would the fear of potential injury be too heavy? I have no problem with Bell’s decision if it is injury fear based. If for any other reason, I believe he is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    For the good of the team Bell show show up for all team OTAs and camp. Practice makes perfect and for him to not show up for practice just hurts the team as a whole. If I remember last year it took Bell a coupe of regular season games to get in playing shape and rythum. He is not a team player, he is a me me guy and what team needs a me me guy, he needs to get in harmony with this teammates. Hard to believe a player can just skip all this team activity when making millions to play football , not only millions but the highest paid running back in the league. Yea, Bell is a great back but his antics just hurt the team as a whole..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelers5895

steelers5895 Member

May 1, 2018
    YEP! Keep his mouth shut. A player should stay out of calling out other players who are fighting for every penny they can get. Its not his business and that is crossing the line.

how many of you fans would like your fellow employees calling you out if you were trying to negotiate more money from your employer? you are doing what is best for you and your family and who are they to chime in

no different here!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just the guys whose money is dependent on how the team performs that includes Bell. For the record at this point Bell isn't fighting for anything. His salary is already determined, right now he is holding off signing his offer sheet so that he isn't required to be anywhere and looks like he holds the high ground when in fact he looks like a petulant child.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How is holding out going to get him one penny more?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think its good when team mates come out and challenge each other. AB is right of course. That's not how you get on the good side of the organization or your team mates

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Its not.. He is just making matters worse for himself. He is struggling to understand the bigger picture .

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m guessing it’s showing his displeasure at getting the tag rather than a long term deal.

I wouldn’t look for too much logic in Bells actions though. Not that is made public, anyhow.

11. Jmos3

Jmos3 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Watch the actual interview and you’ll see this article chose only one part of it.

Here’s the full interview:

I think AB did a great job in this interview and said all the right things. He only offered advice. He didn’t call him out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AB wants a ring! LevBell getting into camp increases the chances of that...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AB is trying to be a team leader. Bell is trying not to be a team player. The CBA allows for the tag. Sign it and come to work. I hope our other backs light it up. I like our rookies. :cool:

14. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Millionaires quibbling with billionaires...don't care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What if Anthony Chicalo blows out his knee in OTA,s?
    If Bell signs and shows up and Blows out his knee he still gets the 14 million?

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good question. How does an injury settlement work? Ditto the tag? I believe I read for the 5th year option on Dupree his salary is guaranteed in the event of injury.

Edit: Based on a limited search, NFL contracts typically are not fully guaranteed in event of injury. But, apparently this can be written into the contract. Therefore, Bell could come back on a 1 year contract with guaranteed money if he and the Steelers agreed.

17. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Brown is right, Bell is being a b!tch, as usual.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    There is a reason AB got the big contract and why Lev Bell has not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I guess my point is that there are several guys on the team who are on one year deals that would be in trouble if they're injured. Those guys are making peanuts compared to Bell yet they are there. Bell's money is guaranteed and a lot.
    Seems silly to me.
    They need to change the deadline on when the tag has to be signed to before training camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I am getting to the point, I would trade Bell. P'rolly never happen at 14 mill. He is either going to have a good year and leave or have a chitty year and leave OR, get hurt leave rich and sign elsewhere and for 8 or 10 mill a year. Sooooooo as they say in Mexico, PEACE ON HIM.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Florio is a moron :facepalm:

AB is the perfect player to send Bell that message.

Wow, totally clueless.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    AB is one of the leaders of this team. He is a Super Bowl win away from probably the Hall of Fame. Damn right he should talk about what could take any focus off a Super Bowl title run. Bell is being unreasonable. The NFL is a hard cap league, he is currently the highest paid running back in the NFL by a considerable amount. He wants an unreasonable number. At this point, he is going into his last year as a Steeler, after this, you tell him go find 17 million elsewhere.

23. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011

Exactly. Florio is a complete fool. Can’t stand that idiot.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The rap giant just wrote a new one called "The big picture is 17 mill yo"

Yo, The big picture is 17 mill yo ain't gonna get it from them Steelers yo they gonna pay me 14 and I will hold out yo hopefully they don't make me pee in a cup yo...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bell will never see 17 million per year from any team. It's like someone asking for $30/hr to run the soft serve at Dairy Queen.

• Agree Agree x 2