1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Weak side was really weak. UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, May 22, 2018.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In today's Asked and Answered Lab's replied to a question about Hargrave and his ability to play NT in the Steelers base defense. The question was basically saying he wasn't Casey Hampton. Bob answered about how the whole defense was bad against the run and then casually slipped in the fact that Hargrave was hampered by a back injury the whole season. Did we know this?

So basically they had Tuitt with a weakened left side and arm and Hargrave with a bad back probably unable to get leverage he needed in most cases. So is it surprising that they were getting blown up by a big offensive line?

Also what does this say about McCullers when your starting NT is playing injured and the backup can't even get a hat on game day? I'm impressed both Tuitt and Hargrave played but maybe they should have rested more as well.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Alualu and Walton are more than capable as backups. McCullers will be out the door by final cut downs imo. With Alualu probably spelling Tuitt more than Hargrave, that left the NT pretty thin. An injured Hargrave was better than a rested McCullers.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Alualu played some NT in Jacksonville. I put it on the coaches for not sitting Hargreaves and not using alualu instead. Walton could have playedDE then. Hooks could have been brought up too.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Wtf was wrong with dan?

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Alualu was playing well last year, and agree he should of played more. Especially if they knew that Tuit and Hargraves had some injures. :facepalm:

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    They really did not have any viable option for Hargrave outside of McCullers at the time. Within the same vein though, some of us wanted the "Shade Tree" to perform well. That did not turned out as planned.

With the likes of Greg Gilmore and Joshua Frazier, the "Shade Tree" has run out of time. I will not be surprised if he is not out by the second week of the presason. He is just not capable enough to perform the traditional role of a 3-4 Nose Tackle.

Within that same vein though, something tells me that Joshua Frazier is more than just a mere Nose Tackle should Greg Gilmore pan out as L.T. Walton is due to hit the Free Agency market next season. If Gilmore does end up making it to the practice squad by the end of the Pre-season, that just might be "all she wrote" for L.T. in 2019.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Leave it to our crack pot head coach to not recognize and sub players in. I am tired of this.

8. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    He apparently (1) has no talent and/or (2) he is a giant pu$$y. Either way, he needs to be gone. We don't have the luxury of wasting a single roster spot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    UPDATE:

Tuitt revealed today he played entire season with torn left Bicep

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is ridiculous. Of course he recognized it. He simply decided that the team was better off with those guys at less than 100 percent than the inferior players coming off the bench.

That tells you just how bad McCullers is at nose tackle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    My primary reason for guarded optimism regarding the defense is the hope that Tuitt and Hargrave can return to the players they seemed to be in 2016 with a return to health in 2018.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thorn, Im disappointed, you don't read all my posts :lolol:

Back injuries are tough to overcome, I hope he can stay healthy this year because he is a force when he is. There are some good film breakdowns of him from last season where he was very disruptive. Maybe on BR, don't remember.

I think most of us suspected as much. His play just dropped off too much from 2016 for him not to be hurt.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I want to see Tuitt earn his money. Same with Hargrave , Same with Bud, Same with Artie. Same way with Sean Davis.

Or lets find somebody that wants to play at a high level all the time.

14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I want to! For some reason they insist on not calling me?

15. Rawsteel73

Rawsteel73 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    so 2 of the defense's best upfront guys injured most of or all of the season and led the league in sacks. I almost dont have any worries for this season

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. As did I.

Some people might forget this aspect but bicep injuries did Aaron Smith in too soon. Let us hope Tuitt does suffer that same fate.

I still believe Tuitt can become a rock solid defensive lineman. Staying and maintaing health, as cliche as this sounds, is the first step.