1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The picks we will lament not taking

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 22, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    So we drafted Terrell Edmunds in the 1st. I maintain he will pan out as about a 3rd-round player. He will help bolster the D but will also get toasted more than a 1st rounder should. (Yea, I'm speculating, I get that. But who is to say I might not be right? And we shall see.)

So, looking at who we passed on for him, I feel the following would better serve the team.

1. Rashaad Penny - We could have moved up to ATL pick to get him. It would have been cheap. Mark my words, our RB unit is thin, and we know Bell is gone next season. We should have made a move to replace him now, especially considering he will suck the 1st three weeks from being rusty, just like last year. Penny would be the safeguard to a lost season from the RB situation. Also, adding new blood at RB would diminish the negative vibes Bell will be putting out there. The message would be loud and clear: You aren't bigger than the team, we will succeed without you. F off. He would also boost our KRs from worst to first.

2. Sony Michel - For all the above reasons, plus we would even have to move up. We will be depressed watching Michel run all over as this season when we play NE. Odds are, Bell will miss some games, in addition to the 1st three weeks when he will be rusty and below average. And all we have to turn to is Conner - who will promptly get hurt himself - Croissant, who shouldn't even be on an NFL roster, and a 7th round pick. Dear God. I can't imagine Edmunds offering so much production that he will be more valuable than having a legit threat other than Bell.

3. Justin Reid - If we did go RB round one, we could have got Reid, who will prove to be a much better player than Edmunds. He was more highly regarded by NFL scouts, without question. He has 4.4 forty speed, 6'-1", 207 lbs. He is rated as an "instant starter" while TE is rated as "could be a starter some day." Unlike TE, Reid can cover well and has solid instincts, which TE does not and that means everything at this level.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You seem to have Edmunds as a pure Safety where I think he will be down in the box more often than not. They seem to have a few guys now Allen included that can switch back and forth from a hybrid LB to a SS. My guess is they are going to try and make the QB figure out on the fly who’s going where and who’s coming. Could be a lot of moving parts. That could be great that could be horrible. Also I could be way off but I’m just looking at the players we have on defense and that’s what I’m coming up with.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Watt, you are assuming a lot before you have seen our players take the field. We did pretty good I believe.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It makes no sense to draft a RB in rd 1, he wouldn't play that much this season anyway. Seattle reached for Penny, nobody had him going in the first round he was projected as a third round pick or later. Michel has been reported to playing with a knee that is bone on bone, no thanks. I agree about Reid, I would have been okay with the Steelers drafting him.

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't see the lack of depth at running back that you do. Conner, Ridley, and Samuels as the new addition in addition to Le'Veon Bell. I like where the Steelers picked up Samuels.

I'm glad they didn't go RB with the first pick but went to something on defense they think will improve us for next year.

With that said, I really liked Shaquem Griffin. Watching tape, he's not just a feel good story. The guy can run sideline to sideline. Thought he'd be a good addition on the inside, but I didn't have much confidence the Steelers were looking his way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Penny will be a good back in Seattle. I'm not shocked somebody jumped on him. But if people are calling Edmunds a first round reach wouldn't you say the same about Penny? In your scenario people would have said the Steelers traded up in the first round for a 3rd round back.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    As for Reid, turns out he would have been a reach in the 1st also.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I take it the whole "point of emphasis" moniker does not apply towards your views Wack?

I also take it that aspects such as historic context, circumstances or objectives are nugatory the same?

No sarcasm for either question. I truly do wish to know the answers to each.

9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I sincerely hope you're right.

10. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    First of all, thank you for the new word, "nugatory." I never heard that one before but I like it. I had to look it up, no sarcasm.

And as far as considering "historic context, circumstances or objectives," I do. And considering such, I'm not sold on TE as a 1st round pick. As I already stated, I think they would have been better off taking Reid in the 3rd. That's all.

11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    But we could have got him later.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Okay then. Now I ask you this;

What basis of evidence would constitute as appropriate to state that Justin Reid would have been the better choice?

• Like Like x 1
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You’ve been whining for a month about reaching for edmunds, but think the Steelers should have reached for a rb? Not just reached for him, but traded up as well?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelers5895

steelers5895 Member

May 1, 2018
    they all could be great but that doesn't mean they would have for us. RB was not a priority, not even close. Bell will sign this year and if he is gone for 2019 we will draft his replacement then. we will lament trading Bryant

15. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    "Watt Wack, post: 569359, member: 2575"]So we drafted Terrell Edmunds in the 1st. I maintain he will pan out as about a 3rd-round player. OK, so Terrell Edmunds equals Dud Dupree.

Justin Reid - If we did go RB round one, we could have got Reid, who will prove to be a much better player than Edmunds. He was more highly regarded by NFL scouts, without question. He has 4.4 forty speed, 6'-1", 207 lbs. He is rated as an "instant starter" while TE is rated as "could be a starter some day." Unlike TE, Reid can cover well and has solid instincts, which TE does not and that means everything at this level. Solidly with you on Justin Reid for all your reasons and he is intelligent.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    It's a fair question. I would say based on looking at vids and considering what scouts feel and considering how and why the Steelers miss when they do.
    Let's see how this all plays out; maybe the RBs will stink and Edmunds will be a multiple pro bowl player, starting with his rookie season. Let's see how it unfolds. Maybe Reid will be a terrible NFL player.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Alright then. Now that I have your response, quite a bit to dwelve into here.

To begin, how a draftnik scout feels versus how the Steelers college scouting team and BLETSO Team feel about prospects is the equivalent of comparing the weight of bronze to the weight of gold. They are two seperate entities and one has far superior knowledge and resources at their disposal than the other. Their assignment is to collect any and all information regarding that prospect to determine if that player would be a fit with the Steelers. In comparison, the other scouts uses the resources availables to them to construct an opinion that is not only informative but entertaining towards a massive audience of either viewers who have interest in listening to their opinions or their own peers.

Two, many of these "scouts" often admire to attend to the "hot takes" of the draft; prospects namely. This happens every single year; the biggest names and the supposed 'underdogs' either are at the top or rise to the top of many NFL Teams leaderboards. For this season and, as much as I love these two players, both Derwin James and Leighton Vander Esch fits these examples to the proverbial tee; James one of the "hottest takes" and Leighton Vander Esch the classical "underdog to stardom" Cinderella story. This, yet again, generally is a showcasing of entertainment to appease the masses within the medium; draft fans namely.

Three, and most important of all though, Pittsburgh's shortcomings have nothing to do primarily with what some draftnik or a collective group of draftniks stated. Those shortcomings are due to the principles of what the NFL Draft was, has and will always be; a crapshoot. For example, Jarvis Jones was a bust seen far and away. The jury is still out on both Bud and Artie while T.J. Watt appears to be coming into his own. There really is no "correct" algorithm, equation, chart or any form of science to ultimatley "win the draft". No team is perfect at it; Pittsburgh no less. The whole point of the draft is two key area's. The first is building for the current time. The second is building for the future. Teams that generally elect to heavily favor either or either wait too long for their draft classses to develop or the draft class itself develops too fast and the team has to get rid of them due to cap restrictions.

However, in terms of the Steelers track record, his successes far outweigh his failures. They have drafted all types of contributional personnel towards hoisting Mr. Lombardi six times. From quality depth to quality starters to even Hall of Fame Players and perennial All Pro's, Pittsburgh has been as good as any team in the league. They are second only to New England for a reason since 2000. Kevin Colbert and the Rooney's adhear to the principles and fundementals of team building without adhearing to the current conventions. This is how Pittsburgh has been successful for so long and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

With my rebuttal now complete, I ask you these two questions before I conclude:

Given the immense amount of emphasis on communication and tackling in addition to versatility this offseason, how would Justin Reid fill this void when he was not considered the "Quarterback of the Secondary" at Stanford in addition to his tackling being a concern; two major areas of emphasis that are ignored all together no less? For that matter, in what capacity would Justin Reid perform given the fact that his best position is a position in which we already have a near identical clone of him on the roster in Sean Davis (high emphasis on near identical)?

I do wish to hear your response. :hi:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Justin Reid dropped because of the pass interference rule that the NFL said they were going to call so much more and tighter this year. Reid is well known by teams as a grab first defender. So no he doesn't cover well when the flags on him will start flying. :cool:

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Look at me!!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You pretty much nailed. He’s basically our very own Alex Jones.

22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Seriously , Reid ??? Not only did the steelers bring him in for a formal interview but he was also passes over by every team twice..... Wasn't he drafted in the 3rd rd???

Is it possible the Steelers know ore than us?

Also, if you're doing a ..... Redo... Why go after a RB??? We got Samuels in the 5th.... I two years he'll the "The Steal of the of 2018 Draft!!!

Cajun

23. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Stupid phone!!!! Typing errors

24. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    His native intelligence allows him to take advantage of the rules and to avoid problems with tighter rules. He is not your average dumb jock. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Never said he was. His play has shown his tendencies to be a grab first defender though and that lowered his ranking by many teams. Now couple that with the league changing how they call PI and defensive holding and it makes him look less desirable to many teams. He's not alone by any means and many players already in the NFL will pay a price for this type of play this year. :cool: