1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody worried about game 1 at Cleveland?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, May 17, 2018.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    OK. I know i'm getting way ahead off myself but it seems as though some people seem to think the Browns might finally have a winning record this year and some are also believing playoffs. It's got me thinking about how Tomlin has more than just a reputation for playing down to the competition. It's pretty factual to me at this point that he does. Could they come out flat and unprepared? It's been know to happen in the past for certain. Bell will more than likely be rusty from his hold out. No Shazier to shore up that middle defense and no MB to stretch the field.

I'm really not worried though and it all has to do with the Clowns passing up on Barkley and picking Mayfield instead. Not gonna say who the better pick will be as only time will tell but if we were facing Saquon Barkley, they could have run all over this Steelers defense that we saw at the end of last season. For that reason alone I thought they should have picked him #1 overall. That team is desperate for a turn around and running the ball down the Steelers throat game one would have been the way to begin it. Instead they went for the popular pick and therefore the Browns won't amount to much again this season IMO.

I will even say that their lack of success early this season will have Hue Jackson job searching by early Oct.

Worried about the BROWNS?

Not me.

Anybody else?

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm worried about getting through training camp without injuries. Physical & mental

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Not worried at all. Ben playing a couple more years means this ain’t the be all season for us so if we get clunkers so be it

4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    First Energy Stadium is Big Ben's house.

5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Think about it statistically.
    Let's say that that the Steelers were 3:1 favorites to win a game, for every game this season (which would be incredible, given the parity in the league).

That means you should expect (on average) the Steelers to lose 4 games this season.
    (You'll still get the fans complaining about how bad the coaching must be, since they lost when they were heavy favorites to win a particular game. Just not favorites to win all games.)

If the Browns play well and pull off an upset in 1 game, I'll only be concerned if the Steelers fail to do well in the 15 18 games after that.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I worry that........... naw never mind.:rolleyes::cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Game 1 last year could have gone either way. They’ll be desperate to get off the losing streak in front of their home crowd and show their fans it’s a new year. Yes I see Tomlin stumbling in on a hot, sunny ne Ohio Sunday and laying down.

I don’t see the stains being a .500 team but they weren’t an 0’fer quality team last year either. They were a 5 win team that squandered late opportunity due to horrible coaching decisions and bad QB play.

Baker Mayfield does nothing for me. Just another overrated Big 12 QB imo. And they should have drafted that DE from NC State to go along with Miles Garrett and his glass ankles. That cb from Buck State might be good but great defenses have great d-lines and they could have set themselves up. Amazing how they could eff up that draft but they did

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No. We, like every team will come out flat because of the limited preseason rules. The Browns, because of new additions, and lack of talent, will be worse.

Unless their coaching staff are idiots, they will not be trying to specifically win that game. They will be working on the long term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I boldly predict that the Steelers will be no worse than tied for first in the Division after week 1. Steelers pull it out 12-0 w/4 FG's. Boz named S.T. P.O.W. This Board is in melt down mode (again!) Real Steel finally takes the Nestea plunge off the edge. Fire Fitchner. Fire Tomlin. Put in that Rudolph kid. Systems normal.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    The reason this is different than Tomlin underrating usual bad opponent is its week 1. It's all they will focus on. But it will still be close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Let's be honest, who's really worried about Cleveland at this point of the off-season?

I'm not, because it's all about team chemistry. If Taylor and Landry are connecting well, then we'll just have another WR to worry about. Hyde may add some skill at the RB position, but overall, the Browns defense isn't something to worry about. But, the biggest question will remain:

Will Mayfield succeed or bust out?

On an extra note, it would be interesting to see the Browns actually do well for once.

12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Not worried but it’s not like we blew out an 0-16 team last year.First time we played them we won a 21-18 game.Second time was a 28-24 win with Ben, Bell and Brown not playing and a first round bye wrapped up.The Browns are due but hopefully not at our expense.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In other news: leveon Bell stops by the rock and roll Hall of fame prior to the game and now wants paid as a rock star too.:eek::cool:

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Way too early to be worried about the entire 2018 Season and nevermind Cleveland.

Very little to nothing has been set in stone for any NFL Team at this point. Let us wait until the end of the preseason as that will yield far greater information.

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Let's add up the logic here. You said we are known to play down to our competition. Although I don't necessarily buy into that concept, I'm not disputing it. You also said expectations for the Browns are elevated this year (to include talks of playoffs), so logically speaking, would should win because we won't have to play down to them this year. There I just solved all your worries...your welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin era Steelers more often than not... do play down to inferior competition. This has been well documented. So the answer is YES... we should be worried about the Browns and other bottom feeder teams in the NFL. It wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers were 1-2 after 3 games... with losses to the Browns and Bucs.

With that said, the Steelers more often than not... play good teams very well, with the exception of the Patriots.

17. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Hopefully not, i will be at the Bucs MNF game.. If we lose any of the first 3 its on Bell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Big Ben is 9 - 2 in Cleveland
    & 11 - 2 in Stinkannati I believe.

19. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Week 1, that won't be in play - I expect TT to be the QB for at least a few weeks. To be honest, our largest worry is not Landry (who they paid way too much for) it is the perennial booze/weed head Josh Gordon. He is probably the most talented WR in the NFL if he can stay straight. He is a monster - size, speed, hands. I hope they have plans for double teams if he starts to get going.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    IT's MNF the Steelers don't lose on MNF so you will be ok

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Gordon's success last season was due to miscommunication on the back end and Mitchell not knowing how to read a play or in the case of one long completion totally falling for PA when he is in center field and not covering the only receiver on the field when he had over the top responsibility and Haden was expecting him to be there. Even in week one I don't think you will see that this time. Bradley seems to be stressing the details like if the formation has 1 WR and looks like a power run formation the rest of the front seven have it while you cover your responsibility and not worry about getting up-field to lay some serious wood.

22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It`s terrible for the Browns to have us game #1. If Mayfield turns out to be good, it won`t be until at least after a few games he starts playing better.

Guaranteed win.

23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    86WardsWay, a haiku would have been suffice:

Sad clowns are the Browns
    Can they turn that frown around,
    with the 'Burgh in town?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Cowher played down to 10 times as many chitty teams too

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This will be a good test game for the coaches on both teams to match wits, fichtner against haley and butler on defense against gregg williams, head coaches are a draw imo.....I think fichtner will match up very well, however I think gregg williams from bounty gate is a better DC than butler and his pressure defenses are more agressive than ours so our oline is going to get a workout against greggs blitzes and secondary play.........

Last edited: May 19, 2018