1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Le'Veon's Absence Will Help Us See Life Without Him in Preseason

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, May 16, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm not on the get rid of Le'Veon Bell bandwagon. I think the Steelers are blessed to have one of the best backs in the league now. Not only running the ball, the guy is 2nd in receptions behind non other than AB where we are lining him up against cornerbacks with him winning the battle. He is a centerpiece to our offense and has been critical in moving the chains and scoring touchdowns.

So I don't think you truly can 'replace' players like him. Players like him, Shazier, Polamalu, etc.. you can't truly 'replace' these people IMO.

With all that said, the younger running backs will have an opportunity to play.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...samuels-hopes-to-answer-the-bell-for-steelers

I'm excited about the Jaylen Samuels pick. I really don't get the whole "he doesn't have an identity or position" thing. The guy is obviously a tailback. I guess we could run some double RB packages with him either as a fullback or halfback. I don't see him as a tight end at all although they ran him at the position periodically. It sounds like the guy might even be able to play the slot receiver (of course this is yet to be seen in the NFL.)

We do seem to have some good depth behind Le'Veon. I don't think we have a lot of game changers like Bell, but we have guys that can make plays and help score TDs.

so It'll be interesting to watch in preseason how these guys play.

I think a lot of eyes will be open to how much Le'Veon really adds to our offense. I don't think a lot of people are appreciating what the Steelers have right now with him.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    According to the Steeler Depot guys Samuels hardly ever did much PassPro, and obviously Levon excels at that...

Still I would love to be deeper at the RB position, If LevBell goes down RB is going to be a HUGE weakness on this team. My hope is Ridley, given the chance, actually turns out to be VERY good #2 RB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't get all the hub bub about Bell not playing preseason. LaDanian Tomlinson never played in the preseason and he turned out pretty good!
    IMO, Bell is a game changing RB the way Barry Sanders was, or Tomlinson, Marcus Allen, Emmitt.......... Do all you can to keep him. He's asking for way too much money though............

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    LT did practice with the team though during training camp. So he was getting reps and the team was used to him running. With Bell not showing up till after camp is basically done it is more difficult to get used to what your #1 back is going to do in the offense vs your #2 and #3 who will be taking most of the reps. I'm sure that was a huge factor to why the offense started so slow last season.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep. It took until the Lions game... which was half way through the season for the offense to look legit and play to its potential. If the Steelers pull that crap this year, I can see 3-4 losses in the first 8 games. They got lucky last year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I couldn't care less if he missed preseason if (1) he hits the ground running at 100% in game 1 because last year he didn't and (2) if he wouldn't act like a petulant child the entire preseason drawing attention to himself. Act like a damn professional for Christ sakes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think it's a great point.

See what Conner and Samuels look like. As was mentioned,,somebody really needs to come through in pass pro.

8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    As long as he holds onto the ball, he will prove very capable.

"Le'Veon's Absence Will Help Us See Life Without Him in Preseason"

No it won't. Preseason proves virtually nothing - it's a hodgepodge of so many various level of players, you learn nothing from it, for the most part.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He won't be ready until 4th regular season game just like last year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I don’t think Bell missing camp pre season means much, I think his drama and me attitude however does. Social media and sports reporters just put fuel to the fire and it becomes all everyone talks about meaning the focus is not on the right things. Bell is a great back and has every right to negotiate his contract however his professionalism is a 0 and for that I say good riddance after hopefully helping us get 7

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    True. Ladanian practiced with the team but, are scrimmages with your own teammates the same as preseason "games?" I agree that Bell is hurting everyone by not coming to practice.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It's huge not practicing especially with a new OC. There will be changes made to the offense. They may not be huge changes but there will be changes. He will not be part of that and yes it will make a difference.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Even great players have to get in to game shape.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    It’s called being in sync with the rest of his teammates!Last year he pulled that crap and didn’t really get going until the 4th or 5th game!This year will be even more difficult with a new OC!I can see not playing in preseason but at the least go to practice and get into a rhythm with the team!It’s not all about you Le’Veon no matter how great you are!Grow up and be a team player for your most likely last season with the Steelers!

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We've already seen life without him. Injuries, suspensions and hold out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Adrian Peterson never played a game in pre season either, but being with the team during camp helps getting in shape in the weight room, running wind sprints, going through pre game warm ups, practicing with the team, lifting in the weight room with team mates, getting mental reps in the class room all of this prepares them for the regular season and most of all it builds team chemistry, and friendships, Bell will miss all of this and will just walk in off the street get a weeks practice and will spend 3 or 4 weeks shaking off the rust like he did last year, only a very selfish person does this...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    How many Rings does Peterson have?

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The same as Bell, none, of course the vikings never had the skill players on offense to compliment AP like bell has had either...

19. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Maybe they were always a bit shy on Team Play.. To much Me Me Play... Ben has that issue on 3rd and 2 - Get the 50 yarder.. Not the first down.

20. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bell is a cancer on this team. Everyone can be replaced, so dump him and start over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    It wasn't that long ago that we saw postseason life without bell or Antonio brown, and big Ben still kept us afloat... we will be ok so long as the defense patches up the leaks on their side

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    One. His wife gave it to him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    And last preseason, too. Nothing to see here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think Conner and Ridley have shown to be decent 2nd running back options. Who knows about Samuels. Out of all the positions on our team, running back is not one of mine for this year at least.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Good points, and the media should take every shot at Bell for this little warm up exercise in the regular season where he's not producing. If he thinks he's good enough for practice, he better demonstrate that on the field coming out the gate.

He has the choice to do so, but also has the responsibility to deliver. No excuses when you're demanding pretty much double the leagues highest RB salary.

The media and fans should criticize him heavily publicly if this is the case. Warming up is for practice and preseason. Choose not to participate and take the heat when performance is lacking.

• Agree Agree x 1