1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben on why he speaks freely

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 15, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Stumbled across this. Kaboly asked him this question in an interview on why he is honest.
    Sorry its so big! Weird site, wouldn't let me copy and paste.

[​IMG]

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    No worries on the size. Great find! :)

Within that same vein however, as much as I appreciate his honesty, there are still specific aspects one can state towards a medium without degregating nor attracting unnecessary attention; this whole "Mason Rudolph Crisis" among them unless the original report is out there somewhere and I cannot find it.

For me, I do not mind at all on what Ben states. How he states his comments though, is another aspect all together for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    He would be well served to learn how to be a bit more tactful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    What kind of insight did he give us on MR, other than he wished they never drafted him and LJ could mentor him, ben stuck his foot in his mouth and now he calls it fan insight......

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have no problem if he wants to be honest and give us fans the life blood we crave. However he has the opportunity and the ability to use that platform in a way to better the team and he isn't doing that with his honesty. There is an opportunity to say to Bell, while I understand where you are coming from and that you have a point but you need to be here, I need you here . You know start leading with those honest words.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think this kind of stuff has always been around the NFL (all sports for that matter), and unfortunately social media and access amplify what any athlete says. Even if a fan heard something in passing while being a spectator, you can bet within minutes it is all over the internet, and moments after that it is fact. Strange world we live in!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    He knows exactly what he's saying and its impact; it's not like all he is doing is just saying the truth and there are unforeseen ramifications. When he said "Maybe I don't have it anymore" and "I have to take some time and think about if I am coming back" he knew damn well how those things would be reacted to. But I'm fine with it. If I had to deal with that f-ing idiot Haley for all those years, I'd be rocking the boat too.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im fairly certain he has indicated that it is better if Bell is in camp. Not a 100% sure though.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Me indicating to my wife I'm taking the day off to go to Star Wars.

"Honey I'm thinking about taking the day off next week to go to the new Star Wars movie."

Me calling my younger brother, older brother and nephews to tell them we are going to Star Wars next week.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Being honest and blurting our what ever blunders into your head are two different things. You are allowed to think before talking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Even more of a reason not to say dumb ****,I'm sorry ....

13. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    There is such a thing as middle ground.I appreciate his honesty but it’s not like he has turrets syndrome!Think about what you are going to say instead of just blurting out what pops in your head!He’s a veteran leader on the team and should act and speak like one as the young guys look up to him.That statement about drafting a QB in the third round made him look immature and vulnerable!He’s the QB for the next two to three years so why does he view Rudolph as a threat instead of leading by example of what it takes to be a successful QB in this league.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Youre assuming he sees Mason as a threat instead of taking him at his word and that he felt there were players available that could help them now as opposed to when he retires.

Hes not the only one who felt that way and I believe thats what he was actually upset about. Mason is not stealing Bens job, thats laughable and Ben knows it.

He still shouldn't have said it though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Because he's big Ben and he feels he needs to chime once an hour.:smiley1::cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I’m not assuming as threat now which is laughable but a QB the Steelers think could be that guy to eventually take over when Ben’s finished.Just by Ben’s statement he sounded offended the Steelers would draft a QB who by some scouts graded out as a low first round or high second round pick.Sure, there were players out there who maybe(not a certainty) could of helped the Steelers immediately and they had a chance to do that in the first two rounds where chances are higher to be an immediate positive impact with the team( not a project who could take time to develop).I know Ben’s still playing at a high level at 36 and a future hall of famer who has a few years left to help take us to a Super Bowl.He’s not immortal and with his recent antics of threatening possible retirement I don’t blame the Steelers for drafting a potential replacement down the road.He sounded immature in his statement and it came out to me by his words he was kind of insulted!Dobbs or Landry are not the answer for the future and he knows that also!

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And now, the end is near
    And so I face the final curtain...

Ben knows that this spells the eventual end of his time in Pittsburgh. He will finish his contract out, possibly getting a 3rd year. His drama has created the situation stating after the Cheats loss 2 seasons ago that he might retire, and then I will assess it year to year, to after Rudolph was drafted " I'm playing 3 to 5 more years". After a awhile as much as a player has helped this franchise you have to take a look at the whole picture. His blathering is the situation, and i'm glad they drafted Rudolph, and not some reach ILB on a panic mode (they drafted a hybrid in the 1st in Edmonds that will see more time at ILB) in the 3rd that might be cut or practice squad fodder.

If he stays somewhat healthy my prediction is he will play for another team after the 2 or 3 years here, cashing in one more time on a 2 year deal. This would give 1 to 2 more years before they have to pay Rudolph.

Ben just needs to shut up and add to his legacy. There are no excuses this season. This Offense is a major powerhouse and I feel the defense has added pieces to become a force, hell just canning Mitchell made the defense better. Only time will tell, but its on Ben as it should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Well if people are honest, they'd realize that the media has been much more 'dramatic' then Ben Roethlisberger.

People can say what they want, the media can run with it like they always do,

But it's up to the PUBLIC to be able to be smart and read between the lines.

Ultimately what Ben said is no big deal, but that doesn't get a story for the media.

19. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Well I guess we’ll agree to disagree. IMO, he came across as a whiner. The glaring need at that point of the draft was an ILB and all the top guys were off the board. Even though he may not realize it, the Steelers will go on after he is gone.

I would rather he said something along the lines of “Mason looks talented and like he is an intense competitor. I look forward to seeing what he has in camp because we have some good guys already that like to compete.” He would look like a leader instead of twisting words that Rudolph said and crapping on the organization for the Dobbs pick. Ben is in it for Ben, that much is clear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He speaks freely because he's old and just doesn't give a crap. Kind of how like my grandfather used to be and how my 83 year old mother in law is. She's a real treat when you take her out in public.

21. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I actually enjoy Ben's honesty. It's why he's so great!