1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on draft and Steeler football

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TOMSTEEL88, May 14, 2018.

1. TOMSTEEL88

TOMSTEEL88 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    well first off I don't listen to the critics on players drafted . Seriously Mel dork kiper pencil pushing geek along with rest of these morons never played a down of football . I just sit back and wait and see how they perform at the NFL level . Now for our team I want a Lombardi trophy now so here's my wish list this year . We get homefield throughout playoffs and face NEW PUKELAND in the AFC championship and beat the living hell out of them and with seconds remaining in game we see bob a$$hole Kraft and his dork son crying then we go on and win SUPER BOWL

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Defensively, we are better than last season and have come a long way since 2015. The addition of Terrell Edmunds will allow Keith Butler to go nuts with the near limitless level of defensive options now at his disposal. Look for a more flexible, versatile and diverse defense.

Offensively, I think we will pick up right where we left off. Pittsburgh's offense goes as far as Ben takes it. Whether or not he is more "motivated" remains to be seen. I like the addition of James Washington myself. His second gear is the most awkward one I have ever seen but he is capable of flying past people and is difficult to bring down. Jaylen Samuels, for me, will have a role to play but not entirely sure what it is though.

Special Teams remains much of the same for me. No need to detail that further.

As I said, the Steelers floor this season is 10-6 and our ceiling is 13-3. My belief is that the record will be 12-4.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Injuries will determine what the final record will be. They always do.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    hahahahahhahahah, dork son!!!!

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This is the thing I see interesting about the Edmunds pick:

Edmunds:

Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
    Weight: 217 lb (98 kg)

Shazier

Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
    Weight: 230 lb (104 kg)

I can't help but wonder if he can put on enough weight to truly have been the ILB we drafted, we just don't want to admit it at this point.

6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I seriously hope you're right. But I have visions of watching Edmunds racing behind a receiver as he gets beat repeatedly on double moves going deep. And there is little to reassure us with our other starting safety, as Davis seems to get toasted in coverage as well.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I understand your concerns Watt. As do I understand the concerns of others. It is not so simple to trust and entrust a rookie towards such a immense responsibility.

Ryan Shazier is no longer with us for the 2018 season. The only major secondary member we have is Morgan Burnett. Most importantly though, Sean Davis is still the unknown at this point. There is ultimately no guarantee that the dime defense in addition towards what else Keith Butler has in store will yield the results many of us seek.

Within that same vein, I know that, ever since the closing days of the 2015 season, Keith Butler and Mike Tomlin have both collectively made strides and attempts to implement a defense that is versatile yet effective all together. The likes of Robert Golden and William Gay were not the ideal personnel to run the dime defense; hence its cease of use after the mid point of the 2016 campaign. The 2017 campaign was due to desperation after Ryan Shazier was lost. Now that we now possess the ideal defensive back in Terrell Edmunds, we now have the pieces in place to effectively run not just the dime but other formations as well.

Best of all, should anything happen to him and to ensure another Ryan Shazier incident will not bring the defense to its knees, Marcus Allen is a rock solid contingency plan as he also is well equipped to handle "dime 'backing" duties.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would not advise doing so. That would be catastrophic.

Keep him as is. Pittsburgh needs Terrell to complete the "Dime Package Initiative" in order to become a more diverse defense.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think your mistaken.

10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Shazier was up to about 237

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hm? Intriguing.

Care to explain?

12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I have explained in several threads, we will continue to have problems with power teams

AKA Jville, Rams, Eagles, come 2nd half those 240 pd rb's and 300 lb linemen are going

to run over your 215 pd lb.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I have. He was drafted to replace Ryan Shazier. Said it a few times already in other threads. He already is splitting duties between the secondary and ILB. And reports are stating he brings leadership and has picked up the playbook. Of course it's only rookie camp but already looks promising.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We still have LBers capable of playing against power teams. We don't draft just to counter one or two teams either. I don't think Edmund's was drafted to line up as a conventional ILB in our base 3-4. We have bostic, red and matakevich for those situations. Our safeties should be able to help out in the run game though. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Hybrid safety Deone Buchannon is 6-1 215, he is an elite hybrid:

Yes, the transformation of strong safety into a linebacker has less to do with addingsize to the secondary than adding speed to the front seven. A linebacker — still willing to be as physical as any other linebacker — but built like a safety can help nullify the matchup issues that speedy running backs and slot receivers, or giant tight ends, present to the secondary.

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/31/...linebackers-safeties-cardinals-deone-bucannon

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I wanted buchannon back then too. I went around with many on here that he wasn't a first Rd. pick and sure enough that's where he went. Speed kills on defense and we will see a much better defense because of these picks. Troy was the original. They don't have to line up in the middle to create havoc either which is the best part of having these types of players. They can come from anywhere which confuses offenses. :cool:

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I also have explained the rebuttal to this counter argument as well. Using one formation would also be catastrophic.

The Dime Defense is not the permanent fixture for Keith Butler. The reason it has been continually brought into discussion is due to the fact that Keith can now employ and deploy it more efficiently.

In short? Keith Butler now possess a much greater arrary of formations he can use at his disposal; the dime defense being one of them. Of those of course is the formation that is supposed to counter specific run formations in the 3-4; namely either Hargrave or Joshua Frazier.

18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    No one is questioning that we haven't improved our back end, yes we are going to play multiple defenses.

But when the rubber meets the road you better be prepared to stop it and we have seen against power backs Fournette, Ajaia

that they usually run right through us. FACT Jville laughs at us.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason this offseason has been predicated on two key components;

1.) Communication. Knowing one's assignment is one thing. Knowing the assignments of others is another. Ensuring that everyone is in place to execute their assignment is key. For example, while a player knows his gap assignment, he must know his fellow teammates so that both players can maintain their gaps and not head for one gap overall.

2.) Tackling. Form and discipline are essential. One canmot possess one attribute without the other. Both equate to what we call "sound tackling". The better the form of the tackle and the discipline of the player, the better the overall stoppage of play.

Both of these components go hand in hand when facing any smashmouth offense; Jacksonville or otherwise. Executing the assignments and having "sound tackling" can nullify any rushing attack. The more negative plays a smashmouth team has, the more inclined they will be to pass; a one dimensional offense as a result.

As I have stated before, the emphasis placed on this offseason and heading into the draft has been more to just merely improve the run defense but the defense overall. I believe it is a fact that we are much better than last year already and cannot wait to see the fruits of labor during the preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I hope you're right, but this team has the habit of falling in love with physical skill and mistakenly thinking they can "coach up" a player who has coverage ills and don't realize some things can't be coached. They fell in love with Edmunds' physical skills, but you can't teach instincts...you just can't, and this kid seems to lack them. He gets toasted in coverage and takes bad angles....just like Scott Shields and Anthony Smith.

21. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I am at a loss on how and why this team seemingly cannot teach this. It seems to never get fixed; Mitchell, Davis, Jones, etc. just keep missing tackles they should not and it never gets fixed. All these shoulder tackles without wrapping up. It's so embarrassing.

22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Gimmee a D with players like Lloyd, Farrior, Woodson, Lake, etc. and none of these mystery/tricky Ds are even needed. What we need is better players. No "new age" alignments will fix anything if we don't have the skill out there.

23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Smoke and Mirrors is what we will end up playing. It doesn't work.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Blame the CBA. Almost no padded practices. Tackling isnt a Steeler problem its a league wide problem.

Its why I have my doubts that Bradley can fix it.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The offenses have changed. The rules have changed. You better change with it or you will be left behind. Sure all great players but this isn't your father's Oldsmobile anymore. Things change. Offenses change and defenses have to change with them. :cool:

• Like Like x 1