1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd man out, Dobbs or Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Confluence, May 9, 2018.

1. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    12) How to roll up in fetal position and take the 15 yard sack.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So does ben.nowadays. just like Tom Tom. That's actually pretty smart to live and play another down. :cool:

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Eli, peyton, and brady are the kings of the fetal position..

4. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    But not every pass play, at least look down field.. Jones is lame..

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No the fetal position keeps him from becoming lame.:smiley1::cool:

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Whatever you say, man. :rolleyes: LJ wasn't drafted to be the next Johnny Unitas. LJ has won games in the NFL... while Dobbs has never step foot on the field in a regular season game. The odds are stacked against Dobbs making the team, regardless of our opinions on Dobbs' and LJ's abilities. If Dobbs can prove he can move the chains more consistently than LJ... then I'm all for cutting LJ. It's not likely to happen, though. Dobbs will get some snaps with the starters on O-line, AB, JuJu, etc. We'll see how he does.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't know why people act like a rookie who needs development (mid-round or later draft pick) will never improve beyond where they are after 3 months of preseason practices. (Just being able to focus for a full year on strengthening and not be distracted by college will make a difference.) LJones after 3 years was leaps and bounds past what he was like his first preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Belichick's head did not explode but some of his brain cells did during Super Bowl LII.

Then again, I suppose sticking it to both Brady and Kraft was worth losing a few brain cells for.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Agreed.

It's pretty clear who's going to the practice squad here, if he clears waivers. I expect a team to pick him up actually.

I like Dobbs. Think he's going to make some plays in this league. I'm not sure if it will be with the Steelers though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not that I doubt his value but Dobbs getting signed by another team would mean that one of 31 other teams will have to like him more than guys they drafted, signed and had in their system through out OTA's, mini camp, training camp and preseason. Now it could happen, Josh Maruo comes to mind but again he was a guy that could see spot duty through out the season on the Cardinals squad and get reps. Dobbs would be relegated to holding a clip board and running a scout team. Given he has already started doing community outreach stuff with Moats and others it seems to me he would be more likely to stay in Pittsburgh rahter than try to catch on with someone else.

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good points, and I actually hope that you are right.

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012

No, I'm really not kidding myself. Looks pretty similar to me. 2017 Combine Numbers

Year Name College POS Height (in) Weight (lbs) Wonderlic 40 Yard Bench Press Vert Leap (in) Broad Jump (in) Shuttle 3Cone
    2017 Joshua Dobbs Tennessee QB 75.25 216 29 4.64 33.0 122 4.31 6.75

2017 Deshaun Watson Clemson QB 74.13 221 20 4.66 32.5 119 4.31 6.95

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012

I never said he was drafted to be the next Unitas. You say he's won games in the NFL, sure he has, try three. Two of those against the Browns. You say you're all for cutting LJ if Dobbs outplays him, but when you start your comment with "Whatever you say, man" you said like an LJ homer.

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    People like to hate on Landry Jones. The reality is, he's a lot more stable at NFL QB then the other two options.

Dobbs made some good plays in the preseason last year. He also made some horrendous plays.. which I guess is expected from a rookie.. but case in point. on our Superbowl contending team no way the Steelers Front office is going to be choosing Dobbs over Landry Jones.

I guess he could light the world on fire in preseason, which would be nice but unlikely.

Look for Dobbs to be placed on the practice squad if he clears waivers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm not a "LJ Homer"... I'm a reality homer. Realistically, it's a long shot for Dobbs to beat out LJ. Just the facts.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The only fact is Dobbs will have an opportunity to win the last spot.

Jones is a 29 year old QB that has hit his ceiling and on the last year of his contract.

Dobbs is 23 and has much more upside at this point.

Not the lock you think it is for Jones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    LJ has never started enough games to find his ceiling, he's has played well in beating the cardinals and a couple of wins against the browns, his ceiling is still to be determined and if we dont renew his contract which I think we will attempt to do, with the high demand for QBs he will get his chance on another team, and thats just a fact.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Even if you believe that, hes going to be 30 next year. Hes done in this league. His ceiling is a BU QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    And drew stanton is 34, hoyer 32, McGown, fitzpatrick and others are way over 30 and still backing up in this league, 30 isnt old for a QB..........

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're missing the point. He's never going to be a starter in this league. Not at this juncture.

I didn't say he was going to be out of the league next year, just that all he will ever be is a back up QB.

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    You dont know that and that has been said about a lot of QBs who went from backup to starter, meaningless words at this point in his career.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, you are kidding yourself and you clearly don't understand what makes a good NFL quarterback if you think combine numbers alone make a valid judgement. By all accounts, Tom Brady had a lousy combine.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Actually it's funny. Look how TERRIBLE he looks at the combine.

Looks like I showed up. :cool: Goes to show how much all of that can not matter at all.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, combine cant tell you who will have a better career or compare football talent but absolutely tells you who is more athletic.

Athletic ability doesn't always equal success on the football field though.

25. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    Running fast the wrong way is way worse then being one step slower and running the right way.. See Dupree.