1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pump the brakes on Rudolph worship

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 10, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    last year means nothing this year. just like the trivial off season talk of players never taking a snap. trust me this season wont happen exactly like last season just because it happened last season. last season means nothing. the faces have changed. maybe its our rivals turn for the injury bug. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Not with the upcoming schedule. NFC South, Jags and AFC West will be brutal.... especilally the road games: Jags, Raiders, Saints games will be tough to win. The ceiling is at 10... floor at 6. It will probably be somewhere around 8-8, 9-7. Steelers record in Denver is not very good, regardless of how good or bad the Broncos are.... and the Bucs game has an underachieving, ill-prepared Tomlin-choke job written all over it.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I can see the patriots having a tougher season start than we have, they open against the texans with a healthy watson at QB, and watt and clowney bringing big pressure on brady, then they are at the jags the following week with no home field advantage going against a tough Dline and secondary thats going to give brady a ton of pressure, then they are at detroit going against their former DC patricia who knows how to defend brady and his offense, they could easily be 0-3 after their first 3 games and put them in catchup mode for the season, 0-3 sounds good to me.....

4. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    0-3 would be nice for the Patriots, but they always seem to find ways to win. Even if they started 0-3...they have plenty of divisional games remaining vs. Jets, Dolphins and Bills who offer little to no competition. It's like they play the Browns 6 times a year... and sometimes it's 7 when they actually do play the Browns. I can see Patriots going 0-3 and then winning 13 straight games, home field throughout playoffs, #1 seed. :facepalm:

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree the Patriots have resilience and an easier division, but let’s not overlook that they were far from dominant last year for much of the regular season, despite the typical pundits narrative.

I see more of the same next year.

6. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Not sure if the Steelers have the coach that can win them number 7. If it werent for Harrison ignoring the play in SB 43 and Holmes and Ben going Shaq and Kobe on that last drive, Mike Tomlin probably is #1 on the list of most wins by a coach without a title category going up.

He doesn't have the skillset to adjust. He just doesn't. That is a big part of football the later you go into the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My guesstamation is ceiling 14 wins, floor 10 wins. Big Ben has the tools & will power to carry the team late in games (if his skills don't fall off a cliff this year). Also the horrible defense can only get better. (barring injury it can't get any worse can it?)

8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I have hope the defense can improve, but I'm not counting on it. Bostic and Williams at ILB will have to produce in defending the run game and currently, Steelers only have 1 consistent OLB (Watt). There are no guarantees. I don't see rookies on D other than Edmunds contributing much this year. I don't think Edmunds will start. Davis and Burnett will get a majority of the snaps at Safety with Edmunds filling in on nickel and dime packages.

Also, Steelers are one injury at ILB away from the disaster we experienced last year. We only have 2 proven ILBs on the roster. Hopefully, some of the unknown ILBs on the roster will step up.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    we go 16-0 and lose to the giants in the superbowl 17-14 from a dez helmet catch lol

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

We have no idea ultimately, like no one does for the other guys either. The Steelers got another high potential QB with a 3rd round pick.

He can work on some of the issues listed, such as mechanics (he has too wide of a stance at times). Fixing this will help him put more heat on the ball.

The guy can also get stronger with his 6'5" frame which will help velocity on throws. As for being a system QB, he does a decent job going through progressions, looking off safeties, etc.. So he's got a good head with making decisions.

There's a lot good about this pick.

One thing I like about him is that he's in to win the game not to try and not lose it. Good pickup in my opinion in the 3rd.

11. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I love Rudolph. I think it was a great pick with solid value for where we are. He has a great opportunity to learn behind one of the best and shouldn't crap the bed if he has to start.

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    has there ever been a really good big12 qb? lol

13. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Sammy Baugh

If you bend the rules a bit

• Like Like x 1
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Steve Grogan, Kansas State

1. Steve Grogan is the forgotten man when it comes to great New England Patriot quarterbacks. Most think of Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe right away, but Grogan also had a productive career for himself.

He played 16 years for the franchise, completing 52.3 percent of his passes, throwing for 26,886 yards and 182 touchdowns. He is third in franchise history in passing yards and second in touchdown passes. Grogan was also a solid athlete, racking up 2,176 rushing yards and 35 rushing touchdowns. His rushing touchdown total is fourth in Patriots history.

Grogan was selected to the Patriots Hall of Fame in 1995.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Wasn’t Aikman as well? Could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Troy Aikman. QBs don't win 3 rings by accident.

• Like Like x 1
  17. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    It was his destiny... Just like it will be Mason's destiny..

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And if Mendenhall doesn't fumble in the SB, they might already have #7 :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Awesome line, defense, coach, RB... lol but yes aikman was great

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Oklahoma then UCLA.:cool:

21. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    You mean if David Johnson doesn't miss his blocking assignment.. Mendenhall does not get run over.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Legursky.;):cool:

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Both :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018

Techniques are learned. All QBs work on technique, all of them. "Overstrides" is a technique issue. Driving lower body as well.
    Velocity is distance over time, so timing and placement dictate that, not velocity per say. Main issue with QBs who cannot throw fastballs is deep-post routes between closing safety and trailing corner down the hash. That's something that can be fixed with better timing too, but there are limits because those are slower developing routes.
    Mason's strength is throwing field-side outs, so I am not sure where that complaint comes from. Those are all about placement and timing. Ball can be thrown as the runner comes out of stem. And he's done that.
    Mason had 489 attempts last season, and that is not a lot. That number is very good, it's not too high. He is not a volume passer, so I do not think he needs volume to stay on schedule.
    I don't think he defaults to off-platform throws. He sometimes defaults to second or third read, which are often in the flat, and then those have to be off platform. So he goes to second and third reads, the rest is irrelevant. He can't worry about platform if the ball needs to come out.
    Decision making and ball placement dips for all QBs when they are being chased.
    Inexperienced as roll out passer is the same thing as saying inexperienced at taking the ball under center.
    Ball will come out wobbly at times is a comment that can be made for all QBs.
    His receivers benefited too. You can say Ben benefits from his receivers, but his receivers benefit too.
    Mason had 5 fumbles last season on 489 attempts. Josh Allen had 5 on 270 attempts, Rosen 8 on 452, Darnold 12 on 480, Jackson 9 on 430. If that's the knock, the others should not have sniffed first round.
    No offense asks a QB to go through many progression. The goal is to get the ball out quickly on first read, and the same is true for the NFL.

Bottom line is all QBs need to work on techniques to get the ball out quick or with timing and placement, complete the passes and score The measure of that is their performance, and Mason was tops in this class, and tops historically.
    He compare to Ben and Peyton Manning when they came out. If you look at Ben's college stats and Manning's college stats, they are early similar to Mason. not many QBs over the years were able to produce that, and those that did were good QBs in the league, excellent.
    Compare Mason to Ben and Manning in college, and then compare othes, like this: ATT/TD (under 14.5), ATT/INT (over 34) , ATT/SACK (over 16). You will find not many QBs meet those standard coming out, and those that do are usually great. That's why imo Mason is historically great QB prospect.

25. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    On paper (we all know lots can change) much tougher than last year.

Twice Browns, Ravens, Cinci - 4-2 let's say.
    Jags, KC, NE, Bucs, ATL, Panthers, Chargers, NO, Raiders, Broncos....5-5 wouldn't be surprising. 9-7 a real possibility.

• Agree Agree x 1