1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pump the brakes on Rudolph worship

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 10, 2018.

1. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

2. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    How much game tape have you watched of Rudolph?

I bet not even a single play.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What does that have to do with Bradshaw?

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand what WW is saying, although I don't believe anyone is "worshiping" Rudolph. He's got a lot of proving to do at this point. He's a rookie that's never taken a snap in an NFL game. He's done NOTHING at this point. But, man, does he ever seem to have the IT factor and appears to be a very studious and heady player. He's a very polished young man and says all the right things. We'll see what he looks like in the pre-season. I was excited about Dobbs last year but honestly, he looked absolutely lost in most of his pre-season action. You can normally tell pretty early on whether or not a player, especially a quarterback, has command of his team, of the playbook and is not confused by the defense. Dobbs was overwhelmed and did not seem to have the IT factor. Neither did Landry Jones early on but he's developed into a capable backup. I think we're all hopeful that Rudolph develops into much more than a capable backup. We're hoping that he's the next great Steelers QB. But he's got a lot of work to do first. I'm looking more forward to camp and pre-season action than I have in a long, long time!

5. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Or not....

[​IMG]

6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Well he was a third round pick so supposedly the 5 qb’s drafted in the first round graded out better by most scouts.As a value pick in the third round I think it was an excellent choice and time will tell how he stacks up against the qb’s taken before him!I think most of us don’t worship Rudolph by the posts I’ve read but think it was a good choice on a value and need basis.If Ben goes down or suddenly decides he’s done with football I have no faith in Jones or Dobbs being capable of being an everyday starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round behind 6 other QBs. The only one I have heard of or simply remember is Chad Pennington. You can draft em 1st or last, compile strength/weaknesses, watch film, or simply have a gut feeling about them. But at the end of the day, until they hit the field and actually play, every pick, every round is simply a gamble.

All QBs have weaknesses, it all depends on how they react to fixing them, who is doing the fixing, and having a group of guys who adjust to using the strengths.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers drafted Tee Martin that year well before Tom Brady was picked. What do you think would have happened to Brady had the Steelers taken a flyer on him in the 5th round that year? Would he be the GOAT and first ballot HOFer that he is now under Cowher and Tomlin?:hmm:

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My concerns are born out of these 3 things.

1) System QB
    Bulk of his snaps are from shotgun and runs an up tempo spread attack designed to exploit single coverage. Can he stand in the pocket and go through his progressions when the first read isn't there?

2) Plays against teams that offer no defense.
    Even by college standards, defense is pitiful. Big learning curve going to pros. How will he deal with complex coverages? Throwing into smaller windows?

3) Comes from a conference that hasn't produced many successful NFL QB's
    Recent Big 12 QB's to go to the NFL: Mahomes, Geno Smith at West Virginia, Vince Young and Colt McCoy at Texas, Andy Dalton and Trevone Boykin at TCU, Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State, Landry Jones and Sam Bradford at Oklahoma, Josh Freeman at Kansas State, Graham Harrell at Texas Tech, Chase Daniel at Missouri and Bryce Petty and Robert Griffin III at Baylor.

Things I feel good about.

His arm, the weak arm complaints are nonsense. His intangibles, seems to have the IT factor. Natural leader and seems football smart. In another post, someone linked a white board segment he aced. Big boy too, built like an NFL QB. 6'5" 235 Lbs.

I know everyone wants to see Dobbs cut, I think thats a mistake. Better to diversify then put all your eggs into one basket. Let these two compete and the better man win. I do not rank a BU QB higher than finding your next franchise QB. Also, having Jones on the team presents a problem for Mason being the number 2 if Ben is to get hurt. Demoting Jones to #3 would not be a pleasant situation. Jones would absolutely be #2 out of the gate but lets say Ben gets hurt in the second half of the season, they may want to see what Mason can do by then. It just creates a difficult situation keeping Jones around, especially when he is on the last year of his contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Our new OC was very successful with a spread offense. Hmmmm. Spread QB. RPOs being highly used in the NFL these days? Sounds like a win win situation. Might be a great future marriage.:cool:

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im too lazy to look it up. Who are the teams successfully running spread offenses? Still have to be able to line up under center in the NFL, go through your progressions.

I laughed when Chip Kelly was going to take the NFL by storm introducing college ball to the pros. That worked out great.

Color me skeptical, Mac.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    But, but, some said he would be the next in line to start? He will be starting on the practice squad this season unless teams will be breaking down the doors of the practice squad for his services :rolleyes:

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Kansas City, Philidelphia, Dallas (late season), Carolina, Tampa Bay, Seattle and Houston are the teams I can ponder currently.

There are more teams that run RPO based concepts but at this moment are not coming to mind.

Just woke up to Blast. :lolol:

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The eagles and patriots to name a couple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_offense

i think you are confusing the read option with the spread. the steelers run a lot of the spread offense.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-it-cant-run-from-spread-offense-qbs-anymore/

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81e1f8a7/Playbook-The-Steelers-spread-offense

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...pread-philadelphia-eagles-doug-pederson-wentz

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...b00966-ec33-11e7-8a6a-80acf0774e64_story.html

chip kellys style is not the only form of this blast. fichtner ran it quite well and made deangelo a star with it. that offense at memphis put a small school on the national scene with the big boys. he did it with a lot less qb than what we have. LJ, dobbs, and MR are perfect fits for his style. we even use it with ben. :smiley1::cool:

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben is a first ballot HOFer under Cowher and Tomlin :shrug:.

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    True. And he was a fairly highly touted first round draft pick coming out of college. Brady was an afterthought and not that many picks ahead of Mr. Irrelevant. I just wonder how he would have fared and been developed in the Steeler system. I'm sure that eventually his talent would have been revealed, but the the Cowher/Tomlin/Steelers way of developing him would have been different than the Belichick/Patriots way of developing him and who knows what path his career would have taken. :shrug:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im talking about running it exclusively like Oklahoma St did. I know we run spread although I dont know what percentage we do. NE runs it the most at 80% but I dont think anyone is going to mistake Mason for Tom Brady. He can go through all his progressions, he can glance at a defense and know exactly whats coming and audible into the correct play. As far as I know, Mason doesnt call plays in the huddle, doesnt have to look past his first read, doesn't have to throw receivers open. Lets not compare spread offense in college to pros.

Can Mason do these things? Maybe but he hasnt had to and thats a big learning curve. Theres a reason the list of QB's coming from the Big 12 havent done well in the pros. Maybe the NFL is trending the way of college ball but its not there yet.

By the way, ASQ, I said successfully. You could have limited your list to Eagles ;)

Also, Wentz came from a pro style offense I believe. Big advantage.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You sure did.

The aforementioned teams that I listed have had success using RPO based offenses. Granted, not to the extent of the Eagles winning a championship if that is what you are implying but those teams have had success doing so.

After all, the term "success" csn have more than one interpretation. :)

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I forgot Panthers won 11 games, Ill give you that one too :lolol:

Cam was created in a lab to run that offense though. Perfect for it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I believe it's a lot more here than not BF. Of course we haven't seen MR run it yet. I also said future marriage. If you read the highlighted quote I put up about Philly it will start to make some greater sense and even show you that we have been trending towards it for a long time. We also have a plan it seems with fichtner even more so in this direction.

Let's look at who we drafted and what they bring to this type of system. Haley out, a spread wizard in. I do believe this is by design to get away from this traditional pro style offense as you are saying.

Our new OC is the start.our backup qbs are also a start. A WR from that system was added this year. Jaylon Samuels is the key to that do it all type FB/RB/WR type player that is so versatile in this type of offense. Our two big12 QBs are also pretty well versed in this spread style offense and under Randy fichtner may thrive. LJ may even be kept because of his familiarity of it.

Maybe it's just me but I see this team with a plan and the wheels of that plan are starting to turn. On both sides of the ball no less.

This is not your father's Oldsmobile. It's early but I believe we are setting up for the loss of Ben and a different offense and direction which really has been happening for awhile now. We allowed Haley's version to play out. We will allow Ben's to play out too.

I don't think we will see the same old trend under fichtner as most are thinking. This hasn't been touched on much but I have been saying it for awhile now. Just like our defensive hybrid changes that so many have been whinning about. You all should listen to what Mac is saying sometimes.LOL. the times they are a changing and I'm giving credit to the coach and front office for quietly having a plan.

I think we will like it. Blinders off, look around at what's going on, embrace it and enjoy it. Steeler football is alive and well going into the next decade. The wheels are in motion.

:cool:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Gotta love the off season. Arguments over totally trivial subjects... such as QBs who have never taken an NFL snap and how they are either gonna be busts or HOF candidates. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    better than thinking the window has shut. sell the team if we dont win it this year. since we didnt draft a HOF LB we will never win again. :superstition::cool:

23. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Hess? :hehehe:

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    In my opinion, the window has shut. We had a good 3-season window to win #7 from 2014-2016. All of that was squandered with either unfortunate injuries to key players or bad coaching. They were/are pretty much done for the near future after losing to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game, last year. 2017 was a mirage/illusion. Steelers were nowhere near as good as their 13-win record. The Jacksonville playoff game proved this.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I can see another 13 win season in 2018. The offense is that good. They pulled out a couple or 3 wins that should have been losses. Now if we can get a few stops on defense this year, we will be SB contenders.