1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd man out, Dobbs or Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Confluence, May 9, 2018.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    While I agree with you saying he had a great season I disagree with you as to him being a normal back up. Yeah he had a very good season in 2013 but what happened he came right back the following season proving he is just a back up. Then moved onto STL and KC where he still showed he was just a back up until this season which was pretty good. Matt Cassell had the same thing happen to him, one good season don't make you an above average back up.

My point was this season there were a couple back ups who had good seasons in Foles and Keenum and with the NFL being a copy cat league I can see LJ getting and offer or two at the least.

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not true, if you put Dobbs on the PS then next year after we lose LJ he would become our #3 and have a guy who knows the system. Ben getting older and more prone to injury imo this is very important to have guys set up to back him up. We don't know what we have in Mason so to be able to have another QB with experience is pretty good.

As far as everyone complaining about a wasted draft pick no way. First off a draft pick is no sure thing and nobody knows the health of any player. Also if you think Dobbs was a wasted draft pick than what do you call picks like Holba(6th), Golson(2nd), Grant(4th), Archer(3rd), Ta'amu(4th) & Gibson(4th)? Nobody drafts these guys with the intent they will fail but if you don't take a chance you will never know. For all these "wasted" picks there is a AB, Beachum, VW, & MB later in the rounds that are pretty darn good picks. :smiley1:

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    That wasn’t a serious question,right???

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely no one.

You might want to freshen up on the practice squad rules.

7. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I was being sarcastic in defense of Dobbs and trying to temper Mason hype. But I did not think that before you get signed to the PS you get cut and another team would pick him up. So my bad.

Also, I like Rudolph. And its exciting to see that he is going to be with Washington because real OSU fans believe that there was something special there. It was a spontaneous post that I did not think through.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :smiley1:

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe the Steelers draft a QB in the 2nd round next year to really push the competition.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben's head would explode.:cool:

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s big enough.

Actually, in 2006 it was apparently too big for a motorcycle helmet.

Sorry, I’ll go sit in the corner now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Brady's head did explode, with their 2nd round QB that had to be shipped to SF.

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I partially think you're right. Dobbs could be another, Dennis Dixon, Geno Smith, or RGIII. He could also be another Deshaun Watson. What then?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Spartacus

Mar 6, 2012

Jones is not a lock, the guy hasn't improved in the time he's been here. He's a turnover machine. Jesse James has been more productive then LJ, albeit in a different position, and he has to earn his spot every single year. Why not Jones. Just because a player has more experience doesn't make him better. With Landry we know we have a career backup, we still don't know what we have in Dobbs. Don't tell me Dobbs hasn't shown much cause neither has Landry.

15. Spartacus

Mar 6, 2012

Has Landry Jones shown anything special? My faith is not in any one player. My faith is in whoever can get things done, regardless of experience.

16. Spartacus

Mar 6, 2012

Things LJ can teach Rudolph:

1) How to lock in on a target.
    2) How to wait for said target to get open instead of throwing him open.
    3) How to deliver the ball late.
    4) How to be mobile.
    5) How to under throw a pass.
    6) How to throw behind the receiver.
    7) How to throw a bounce pass.
    8) How to hold a clip board.
    9) How to get Ben Gatorade.
    10) The Art of the turnover.
    11) How to beat the Browns on the last day of the season.

17. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I bet my house Dobbs is the odd man out. LJ is guaranteed the #2 & Rudolph is guaranteed the #3 because they think he's actually a #1 who has fallen ...& his traits are similar to Big Ben. I was hoping Dobbs could be the next Kordell Stewart, he had 2 or 3 shining moments in preseason last year ..but he basically sucked, couldn't consistently move the chains. Dobbs only chance to make this team is from an injury....

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ..........and after all that....he's still here. I was talking more of the mental aspect and procedures of how we do things. Trust me I'm not that high on LJ but apparently the coaches see a lot more in him then we the fans do ,because after all those bad things you listed......he's still here. Don't be surprised if he's still standing at the end of camp again,that's all I'm sayin.....

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :facepalm:

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :roflmao:

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Everyone keeps saying Dobbs hasn't shown anything well please tell or show me the chances he has been given. As a matter of fact Golden threw more passes last season than Dobbs.......1! I am not saying Dobbs over LJ but to be honest the only ones that know what Dobbs can do or can't do is the coaches. jmo

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Jones is better than Dobbs right now. Long term, neither one is an answer as anything more than a backup. Given that is the case, Dobbs will be the one who is cut.

In another post, you suggested he could be another Deshaun Watson. You really are kidding yourself. He doesn't have Watson's physical tools and he certainly hasn't shown any of the ability as a passer that Watson has at the college and professional level.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dobbs is more athletic than Watson. I dont know why people act like Dobbs is a scrub. He was SEC Offensive Player of the Year in 2016, posted 3,781 total yards of offense and joined Dak Prescott and Tim Tebow as the only SEC quarterbacks in history to record 15 passing TDs and 10 rushing TDs in multiple seasons.

I've often thought he could give us what Watson does but have been waiting to do a side by side film breakdown before making that claim. Get to it one of these days.

24. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Dobbs had just about all of last pre-season. We couldn't move the chains. To be fair his offensive linemen, guys who didn't make he roster, didn't give him much time to do anything...

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Exactly he didn't play with the 1's or vs the 1's. Preseason if fine but it isn't fair to compare Dobbs in preseason to LJ in regular season. That is why I said we haven't seen what Dobbs can do since he didn't even throw a pass in regular season. Like I said Golden had more passes than Dobbs last season.

• Agree Agree x 1