1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie Camp news

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by turtle, May 11, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, I’m a grump about the internet. Too many videos. How am I supposed to screw off in boring work meetings if the source is a video? If it’s a written article, I can pretend I’m doing something work related.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    put the video in closed caption :shrug: :lolol:

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You have grossly over exaggerated my technical ability. But, I will Goggle this. Thank you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Liked the Edmunds pick then. Love the pick even more now after hearing that tibit.

Leadership in a young and untested but tremendously immense potential latent caliber secondary by a rookie no less? Yes please. Add in Tom Bradley and Edmunds and the secondary is definitley something to watch in OTA's; Training Camp especially.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Video I saw of Edmunds showed some curious coaching going on. Tomlin sit down in the box near the linebackers with Butler watching in the background possibly on the sideline.

Also Edmunds says Bradley has a lot of info on his board. Not going to be dumb players in that secondary

8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    OK, from NFL Network report.....

- Edmunds was in great shape, better than most.

- TE was loud the whole time, seemingly showing leadership.

- NFLN reported that although drafted as a S, it will be likely he will see time at ILB. (Must be something to this, we keep hearing it.)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    These safeties being used as hybrid defenders??? What a revelation!!! Where have I heard that before???
    You believe NFL network but not mac daddyo? :smiley1:;):cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah it's not really new ,they experimented last year with Gay and they clearly brought Burnett in to assume the role as well. The rest of the league has been doing it well before us....ever since Seattle hit a homerun with Chancellor everyone has been trying to copy it. We've been hearing about the hybrid SS/LB for years....

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    troy was this many years ago for DL. we have employed the 3 safety look before and wanted to use it more but didn't have the horses. the man corners help this along and we had way too many zone corners. DL said many years back that we needed to start looking for corners that could play more man coverage but they just didn't materialize. what he really wanted was corners that could do both well. then add the 3 safeties and you would have had the defense he really wanted to run. it started here with him and not butler. this hybrid was experimented with by DL because we had troy. it was towards the end of troys playing days though and he wasn't the troy of old by then. still good but the injuries were taking their toll by that time. ike was aging too. i do think we have the horses now to do it, if butler can put it together with bradley. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    ???

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As I been saying I watched the exact same transformation as a High School Coach . The Offenses started spreading out and using more and more packages the only thing Defenses could do is get more Rovers and Monster Men on the field . We couldn't find enough talent and started looking at WR'S or Fast TE'S to try and convert .The NFL is doing a similar thing already and it will become more common each and every season as long as the trend continues.
    The 2 spots the NFL is looking at will be WR'S with poor hands or poor route running that still have the height,weight, and speed combo needed to be a flex defender and QB'S who also have the same traits but may not be NFL QB material.

The Steelers should have tried to convert Sweed,Goodwin, and DHB. Our Safety play has been so poor it is easy to project they could have been just as good and I contend much better IMO.

15. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Bradley can coach him up and improve any technique flaws he may have, I dont care about what scouts say about him in college, that can all be changed at this level.....

• Like Like x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

This.

Before even the likes of Seattle becoming the supposed "Face of the NFL" for employing and deploying such a defensive tactic, Dick LeBeau and Troy Polamalu were the progenitors of what was to come. The league began to catch on by 2013 and it became the "new normal" by 2015. Since then, sub package defenses are the "new normal". The league can thank both Troy and Dick LeBeau for that though.

As I see it, Terrell Edmunds feels a lot more of a callback to those glory years of the 2000s than anything else. Furthermore and, unlike Troy, dare I say that Terrell is more ready for this "new defensive era" than Troy was when he came out of the University of South California 15 years ago. Terrell has the pleasure of enterting a league embracing and systematically evolving the principles and fundementals of sub package football. Troy was literally ushering in a new age for all defenses in the NFL in addition towards laying the groundwork for what was to come.

One final caveat to this "Terrell Edmunds was a reach" narrative:

Troy was also considered a "reach" by most, if not all Steelers fans; many even decrying for Kevin's immediate termination after the conclusion of the 2003 season if I recall perusing that history correctly. Look how that turned out. Not saying Terrell is a "slam dunk Hall of Fame" pick but let us observe what he can do first before laying out a premature burial for his career.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That video makes my dog’s cat look dumb. That is correct. My dog has his own cat. The dog was a stray I took in. He brought a cat with him. They are best friends.

Go Yinz Stillers n’ at

• Like Like x 1
  20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Polamalu being a reach in terms of being a player. His concussion history was troubling and in those days you didn't trade up for a Safety. If anything, the trade up for that position caused the most grief. Safeties just weren't valued like they are now.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    WR Marcus Tucker is liking the new WR Coach Drake and Edmunds is loving the detail oriented teaching by Coach Bradley.

• Like Like x 2
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    News of 2 signings following their rookie camp....

WR Damoun Patterson from Youngstown State
    OL RJ Prince from North Carolina. 6'5" 311 experienced on the inside.

2 players will need to be waived to accommodate the signings.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Jake Rodgers was claimed off waivers from the Texans a week or so ago too. He was in our camp last year and was released after the final cuts. He was a falcon 7th round pick in 2015. There will be some guys to look at for sure on the o-linemen. Looking for that Swiss army knife. :cool:

24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Pretty interesting:

Patterson was one of the best deep threats in FCS last season. He hasn’t been terribly productive in college but his game is built around his speed. He’s able to get behind defenders and could find himself a spot on the NFL if he can work on crisper routes and more consistent hands.

25. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018

Didn't know where else to put this. Seemed like as good a place as any.

• Like Like x 2