1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 11, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have our one year rental but beyond that I think it is very unclear.

Ridley
    Toussaint
    Conner
    Samuels
    Summers
    Franklin

Conner coming off of knee surgery. Ridley a vet that ran well for us. Fitz a vet that can do different things well. Samuels that can do many things well. Franklin that is a pretty good RB in his own right. Summers I know little about. Randy fichtner will use the RB in many ways including nix the FB. Does Conner bring that type of ability? Do we go a different direction now with RF at the helm? He had deangelo Williams at Memphis and we know what he could do. Which of these guys could fit that role going forward for us out of this group? I think we take a good long look this year at a couple and more so than in years past. We are to the tipping point with Bell. :cool:

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it's gonna be Bell,Conner and Samuels getting the nod as the 3rd RB. I know in your roster prediction you had Samuels as the 3rd TE. I don't think they go that route and like to keep 3 legitimate TEs either Grimble or maybe McGee beats out Grimble. He wouldn't have the physicality the others provide...I could also see Samuels making the 53 as a WR ,but he played a low % of snaps as a TE, so I believe it comes down to RB or WR....the rest of the bunch will either be PS or probably a phone call away.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It won't matter, we will never see these Rb's. Tomlin will run the wheels off of Bell and no one will see
    many carries. Thanks Coach T

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Obviously.....

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would also like to see Bell, Conner and Samuels as the top 3. If Samuels is less than advertised I would go with Ridley. I liked how he ran last year.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The only problem is .if Ridley is 3rd he will never see any carries. Like Wardismvp said Tomlin will run the wheels off if Bell. Samuels will see more snaps than Conner as the 3rd string because of his versatility and not so much as a pure RB. That's my feeling anyway....

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I hear ya cluckin big chicken, I'm just saying if Samuels falls flat on his face in TC/preseason (I don't think he does) I would go Ridley as the 3rd over the other guys listed. Mostly because I don't know much about them.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh for sure Ridley...what'd you think I was gonna say Toussaint :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was thinking Samuels would only be in consideration for RB but here's a short interview where he says teams would view him as a true RB and 3rd down back. Steelers mentioned as a team showing a lot of interest (this was pre-draft)

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018jaylensamuels.php

10. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    If you still need an RB next year Oklahoma State has another guy...

11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Bell Conners, Ridley Samuels a TE gets bumped.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I did have Samuels as a TE in name only. He's so Swiss army knife that he could fill many roles but for roster sake I listed him with that group. I think with nix and Samuels that could eliminate that 3rd TE roster spot. No matter where we list him, he will be used in different functions.

Franklin is a guy I'm keeping an eye on. He and riddley. I'm not sure Conner makes this team this year. If Bell doesn't sign a contract this position may get an extra player kept around for next year. One thing is for sure, this is a pretty nice stable of talent at this position.:cool:

13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Which one can we stash on the p.s without fear of losing? I would say Franklin because no one knows of him. And, is Connors still eligible for the p.s?

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I wouldn't say no one knows about this kid. I'd use him instead of stash him. He may have gotten a little overlooked because of all the RB talent in this draft but he is a very good one. The Steelers were aware of the kid during the draft process. I for one was very happy with our scouting department this year. Our draft and UDFA signings this year were very good. :cool:

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You're the one who said it but now I think your forgetting how Tomlin uses his RBs. Bell rarely comes off the field and now if they don't plan on resigning him you can expect even more overuse. If Conner is healthy and he should be ,he will be the 2nd RB if not I can see Ridley. The reason I think they keep Samuels as the 3rd RB is because he will get use everywhere and anyone else at strictly RB won't. I also think we are forgetting the fragility of McDonald and I fully expect them to carry 3 legit TEs. As they are important in the run game. Any of the other RBs listed above not named Samuels and Conner and maybe Ridley would be relatively safe on the PS or a phone call away....great RBs aren't easy to find but the average guys are a dime a dozen....

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If it's Bell's last year then they should run the wheels off of him, those backups can't produce like him.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t think Connors is PS eligiable. He has to have been active for 8 or less games in one season and I believe he had 14 last year.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One is a bruiser and the other ... more of a scatback

20. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Last year was an anomaly, we got lucky Bell could play all 16 games. I have no confidence that he can do it 2 years in a row. I'd use the hell outta him this year because if it's up to me ...this is his last year. He's a drama queen who wants too much money & his attitude really suck. If Bell think he's gonna put up the same numbers with another offensive line with his unorthodox style of running ...good luck. Plus you'll need a competent QB to get you the ball in the air ...good luck with that too. Mike Wallace would agree, you think??

21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Bell isn't coming back. I'd run the wheels off, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    How do we know what we have behind Bell if we don't give some of theses Rb's some meaningful carries?

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We'll have to ask mr owl cause we ain't seen it yet. Kids been over used since day one when healthy and not suspended.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So what your saying is Tomlin wants to see how many " licks" LBell can take....

• Like Like x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

Mr Turtle knew that ****, he just didn't want to say. Owl's a chump....

• Like Like x 2