1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd man out, Dobbs or Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Confluence, May 9, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Like it or not, the Steelers are influenced by ego protectionism. Since they are selling Mason as a "first round value" he won't even have to compete. Even if Dobbs and Jones clearly outplay him, they won't budge, as that would be admitting the "new toy" wasn't a genius pick. And, they will be be slow (but not ironclad) to admit Jones wasn't a wise re-sign. So unless Dobbs just lights it up on an undeniable level, he is odd man out. But he could, we will see.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe Dobbs gets a phantom injury and gets IRd.....hmmmm.......that gives them the best of both worlds. Jones is in his last season anyway,that gives MR the chance to learn from LJ because Ben sure as hell isnt gonna mentor him ,then we get rid of LJ and we have Ben,MR and Dobbs for the next couple years....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Quite honestly, if anyone ends up under center other than BB, we are basically the Bengals or worse. Maybe even the Browns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Long term maybe but as a team that's competing for a SB we may need someone to step in to win a couple games and a team with that mentality should be looking to who gives them that best chance. I think they feel as of right now that's LJ and unless MR or JD proves otherwise ,I think LJ has the inside track...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Pretty sure Foles just won super bowl MVP......Anybody out there think Landry has equal talent? I SURE DONT!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Trade Dobbs for a 7th rd pick or release him.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I put on my tin foil hat, and suddenly this became very clear. I’m putting a C note down in this bet.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Like it or not, the Steelers made this very clear last year.

If they liked Dobbs more than Mason, they would not have drafted Mason. Mason wasn’t brought in to to compete against LJ.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not necessarily. Dont think its anything more than they had a high grade on Mason and he was there in the 3rd.

Fact is, they have two unknown prospects for succeeding Ben. You're only lessening your odds of finding his successor by jettisoning one prematurely.

Think people are making way too much out of having a back up QB. Theres always one you can sign at a moments notice if worse comes to worse. Ben has played nearly 2 full seasons back to back. He doesnt play sandlot football anymore and no, I dont expect him to under Fichtner either.

Its hilarious to me the abuse Jones takes around here and now the Steelers cant live without him :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But, for what ever reason, the Steelers have shown a strong belief or loyalty to LJ as a backup.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is true but they are also up against the clock. His contract is up next season.

Surely Mason or Dobbs would be capable of winning a game or two if needed this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Funny part will be when the season starts and we only have 2 quarterbacks on our roster, Bumblingberger and Mason. :huh1:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What I think is going to happen is Dobbs gets cut and put on the practice squad, maybe they try to trade him but I am not sure there is any value there.

This is my opinion on these QB's I ask myself(yeah I also answered) a few questions based on my opinion:

Can LJ win a game if Ben goes down for ONE OR TWO games...........Yes

Can we win in the playoffs and even SB(Foles situation) with LJ.........NO

Can we win ONE OR TWO games with Dobbs............IDK

What is a better long term deal........Dobbs & Mason

We are a win now team so in all honesty we need a vet back up but I don't have faith in LJ but to be fair I thought the Eagles were done last year and I was wrong there. LJ is in his last year and is costing 1.9m where Dobbs and Mason would cost less and we would have for a few more years. If we cut LJ someone will pick him up for sure but if we cut Dobbs there is a good chance nobody picks him up. If we lose Ben long term I feel Mason could be the best option so why keep LJ? Again just my opinion...

What I think will happen is we will keep LJ and it will look like this Ben, LJ & Mason. :smiley1:

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A lot may remain the same but a lot will change with our new OC. LJ has been with this new OC from his start, he probably knows his thoughts and style better than most. They worked closely because LJ was the backup. Dobbs had one year but probably retained a lot with his mental capabilities. I'm not sure the rest of the league feels Dobbs is a must have player. They have some tape of LJ doing some good things. He has some experience in the league which means a lot.

Dobbs will be IRed or PS material for a season but after the preseason. LJ will play little this preseason so these other two can get seat time. I think the Steelers like their shiny new toy and will want to use him. Dobbs has the mental capacity to learn quickly as we saw his progression last preseason. His physical abilities were never top rated even coming out so I think he can be hidden for a season on the PS without much interest. If he's taken then we have options. We will see how he does early and that will determine a lot. This is a good problem to have though. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Landry Jones will be the backup QB to Roethlisberger in the present and Rudolph from 2020 and on. Jones is the Steelers "Don Strock." Learn it. Live it. Love it. Accept it. Move on.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Thats a name from the past, a 13 year backup at miami that I always thought he could have been a starter and I even wanted the steelers to trade for him..

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This year maybe but not having that 5th year option on MR changes a lot. LJ strock didn't have a great deal of interest the last time he was a FA and he hasn't done much since to change that. I think it depends on how much money he may want to stick around as MRs backup for the future. Many things will change after this year.:cool:

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    dobbs suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    mac I am not disagreeing with you but I feel LJ's stock may go up and here is why. the NFL is a copy cat league so now everyone will be looking for the next Nick Foles, I am not saying LJ is that but we have seen it many times before. Teams will over pay or reach due to things that has happened in the past and Foles winning the SB as a back up might raise the stock of other back ups. jmo

20. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    We're not getting rid of our backup QB that has years of experience. We're lucky to have him.
    If Ben goes down Landry gives us a legitimate shot of winning half of the games he's in. Would we like it if he could win all of them? Sure, but then that would make him a starter and not a backup and we wouldn't be able to keep him. Which is exactly what may come back to haunt us with the Rudolph pick. So, Dobbs is gone and can get on with his life's work in the astral field. We keep our back up Landry and Mason will compete with him, and as most here hope, unseat him out of that position. Depending on how that goes he would then start competing with a 1st round HOF QB!

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is far from a sure thing, especially with that defense.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Foles had been an NFL starter. In fact, he had one great season as a starter during his first run with the Eagles. He was not a normal back up.

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    For those who are worried Dobbs might get poached from the PS ,remember in order for a team to claim him they have to put him on their 53. That's a decent sized commitment for a young QB that would have to come in and learn a new system. I'm not saying it can't happen but we've had our worries about players before....that's all I'm sayin'

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd also add as Bob Labirola has stated in the past that when Dobbs is cut or resigned to the PS will be at the end of camp when almost 1200 players will be out of work. Which means one or several of the other 31 teams would have to value Dobbs over quarterbacks currently on their roster, in their system, or who the have worked with. Also this is a quarterback we are talking about not someone like Brian Allen who was a freakish physical specimen but very raw. Someone they could stash on the 53 man roster and have play special teams while he hones his craft. If you are putting Dobbs on your 53 man roster he is backing your guy up and you are hoping to never have to have him play so in essence a big risk to poach off the PS and short yourself a player that can contribute

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If Dobbs is the odd man out and I'm sure he is, there's no point putting him on the PS. NFL teams rarely do a good job developing QBs - it's really become a sink or swim league. Trying to develop two will be nearly impossible. And if by some miracle you do develop Dobbs then what? Rudolph by pedigree will be the future and will be allowed to fail repeatedly before they give up on him. Dobbs will have little trade value, since he won't have shown anything to anyone. Do the kid a favor, cut him and let him try to latch on elsewhere.

It stinks that they wasted a 4th rounder last yr, but they did. Time to accept it and move on.