1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Ben could have done this coming out of college?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, May 10, 2018.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Watch out, Ben. You've got a pretty sharp guy as your possible heir apparent.

Man I absolutely LOVE this! One of my criticisms of Ben is that he didn't spend enough time in the film room. I think he's gotten better over the last few seasons but I think part of that may be that he's just seen every defensive alignment hundreds of times now.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...y-steve-mariucci-2018-nfl-draft-steelers-news

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    There's no player I scouted more over the 2017 season than Rudolph. I read everything I could about the guy because before Ben said he was coming back a 1st round QB seemed like a legitimate option.

I think Rudolph is immensely talented on the field. But even moreso his intangibles and character are off the chart.

I truly believe we got an absolute steal in round 3 with this one.

And I think Ben knows it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Ben did not state much about Dobbs; far less so than Jones. Clearly he did not see that "something" he does with Rudolph.

Rudolph on the other hand? For Ben to even speak out on his thoughts and feelings regarding Rudolph indirectly gave me all the information I needed.

Then again, consistently pressing the proverbial "barrell to the head" tactic likely caused this selection. Within that same vein, I believe that, even if we are not accounting for Ben's previous comments upon pondering retirement that Mason Rudolph was going to be the choice in the end anyway.

Cannot wait for OTA's as this year will be the most intriguing than in years past.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Ben can ultimatley blame himself for being consistent the whole "possible retirement" narrative. Granted, the likes of Todd Haley did not assist in his frustration but ultimatley, how one conducts themselves reflects on that individual; this case namely Ben.

Given his statements about possible retirement or similar statements as he has in years past, he brought this upon himself. He forced the Rooneys hand and the selection of Mason Rudolph is the ultimate result.

Whether or not Ben accepts this is irrelevant. What is relavent though, is how the Steelers operate; attempting to win now but prepare for the future. The "win now" aspect appears to be approaching its final stages with Bem. The "future" aspect is to be with Mason.

That being said, I do believe that, should we reach the "Stairway that leads to Seven" this year, number seven is likely going to be gone.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Guys, one reason Ben spoke out more on them drafting MR could be:

1.) They used a 3rd-round pick on him - a round where very good players can be found. Sure, there are examples of good players found in any round, but more are found in round 3 than 4th and later.

2.) He is one year older, window closing faster so using a 3rd round on a player who won't help us win in next few years is more notable to him.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ......I can see it now ,on the evening on 11-18-18 against our arch enemy Jacksonville . BB takes a punishing hit knocking him out of the game,Tomlin turns to MR......Rudolph with your mind so bright....won't you lead our team tonight....all of the other teammates ...all shout out with glee....Rudolph the 3rd round steal Q B....this game wil go down in history....

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We know why he spoke out, its just a debate on how big of a idiot he looks for saying it.....this team needs to know when to stfu...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Regardless on what was stated by Ben, here in lies the most common based denominator that, for whatever reason, is getting lost in translation:

Benjamin Todd Rothelisberger is not the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is but a component of the team's history; 84 years of it in fact. He is not the Franchise. He will never be. He is the "Face of the Franchise" within this current iteration but nothing more than that.

When Ben elects to retire, the Rooneys will be greatful and thankful for all he has done. Within the same vein however, they must also preserve and protect its future by investing its future towards the "next one".

This is why the NFL is a business. Furthermore, this is why the Steelers have won more than any other team since the merger. They do not "load up" for one season. They do not "knee jerk" or become enamoured with "hot takes". Most importantly though, they do not mortgage the future.

They build for not just the current season but also for their future as well. They invest their franchise within the draft and build the team based off of whom they have. That is how the Rooneys operate.

In short? The Steelers will be moving on from Ben regardless of circumstances. They have acquired their future in Rudolph. Time will tell if he is the "next one" but given the Rooney's track record, Mason has all the tangibles and intangibles to be the "next one" as I see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    good stuff, I always love those segments. Especially when your team's new QB prospect kills it...

• Like Like x 2
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't care what Rudolph can on a whiteboard, I know one thing he can't go 13-0 as a rookie if given the chance like Ben did :shrug:.

11. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Cause he doesn’t have the defense Ben had. Without it D that first Suoer Bowl against the Seahawks we los as Ben was atrocious.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you, a rational thought from someone who did their homework rather than letting others do it for them. As opposed to blindly believing others and starting multiple posts to proclaim it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Mason is very impressive in the interviews that I’ve watched. Ben will not last forever. I’m glad we have an option now just in case he’s needed.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And superb leading up to it. Which they never make it to without him.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And the irony is that Todd Haley has assisted in helping to prolong Ben's career and maintain his health given the kind of offense he ran. If BA's Barnyard Ben offense had remained in effect, Ben may already be retired!

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014

lol like a middle schooler that is getting insecure a younger, more attractive kid likes his girlfriend lol

17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014

Exactly.

SAmmie Coates
    Dri Archer
    wheaton
    sean spence
    Curtis brown
    mike Wallace
    bruce davis
    matt spaeth

lol jk haha

• Like Like x 1
  18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't even care about all this Ben-Mason stuff. I hope Ben leads us to 7, and I hope Mason leads us to a couple beyond. I like the what I have seen of Mason, and all the fringe stuff I learn about him makes me like him even more. As for Dobbs, I hope he develops into a Charlie Batch. He might be Mensa material, but I doubt he will ever be pro bowl material.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And the chiefs traded two 1st round picks and a 3rd round just to move up and draft mahomes, did anyone run to the media to complain about the 3 players they could have drafted with those picks, we got the player we wanted with our 3 pick which is absolutely none of Bens buisness, and mason wont be hanging out at bars chasing skirts and getting in trouble like ben did after we drafted him..........

20. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I must say Mason will be number two on the depth chart, and if Ben does get hurt which I hope not, this kid will do better than Landry or Dobbs. I know Ben says he wanted help with the draft of guys that can help right away but again if he gets hurt this kid will win more games while Bens out than Landry or Dobbs so he will help the team in theory.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    He won't be Ben, brady, Rodgers, brees, rivers, Wilson, Dak...

He will be better :D

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Without Roethlisberger, the Steelers don't get there. He was good during the regular season and great in the three AFC playoff games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    saved that td run back when bettis fumbled too. Ben had that fire, he just ran out of gas in the superbowl. Our defense had his back.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Excuses, Rudolph will sit on the bench for at least 3 years.

25. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I think Ben realizes that the NFL is a business, if he goes down and Rudolph comes in and performs well... the same thing that happened with Maddox could happen with him. Hence his comment about did the Steelers draft Rudolph and plan on trading him (Ben). We all know Ben has some drama with him. Him acting like he wasn't coming back for '17 was probably a reality check for the Steeler's office. We all know the Steelers dont let players bully them but so much.

I dont know what the Steelers are planning but to me it looks like they are preparing for life after Ben. I dont know a lot about Rudolph but everything I read and hear sounds like he is the real deal.