1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Special teams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 9, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Does DHB make this team? Yes he's one of the gunners but we now need more of his skills as a receiver right? Good blocker, speed still but...... Brian Allen should be the other. He did a good job last year in that role. Quadree Henderson is a guy that can be the return man they have been looking for. He is also a WR. Hunter is a big target with speed and better hands then DHB but how does his STs skills add up or do they at all? Nat behre is going to be a STs guy also. Allen our draft pick as well and so should Edmund's. Matakevich and chickillo. Adams? Samuels? Conner? Nix of course. Hilton? James? Grimble? Fort? Will fort be here? He is a good STs player. He's not a terrible backup either if he doesn't have to start long term. Many questions for this group and where they fit the roster is a question that has to be asked. Are they able to fit as depth at a position enough to qualify them making this team? :cool:

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think with so many players who off more than just ST I can see DHB being let go. He has been a stud here for awhile but I think we are getting players who can play ST and offer something else. One guy I think could be a player who takes DHB's spot is the FA WR Henderson. If he plays ST well in the preseason I can see him making the team. Also I don't think DHB is alone I could see a player or two getting replaced by some young guys.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If they eliminate kickoffs do you see them keeping a lot of special teams guys Mac?

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    All I ask is please keep AB on the sidelines when the other team punts. Let JuJu or Washington return punts.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's what Henderson brings Heinz. That's why he is here mainly. He's got a lot of return TDs while at Pitt. Both KO and punts, he's also not a bad receiver.

I still think for punt return and coverage thorn. As I said though, they have to be able to play a position too. That is where DHB comes into play as a gunner but is it enough? :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure we can keep DHB as just a gunner....I think we need our next gunner to be the WR who offers the most as a WR because our depth is weak. So who ever offers the most as a capable WR should earn the spot and if he isn't as great a gunner as DHB so be it....we will have to find someone else on the roster who can do a respectable job of it. If we feel DHB is our best option at WR then I say keep him...but the days of basically pure gunner are over. Too much talent available for our roster for that....

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They very well may end up getting rid of kick offs and I think the only reason we seem to get so many opportunities is because we are bad at it. As soon as we establish a legitimate threat teams will stop kicking it to us. So with that being said I wouldn't put too much stock in someone's KO return ability and would focus more on their PR ability because of the reasons above....

8. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I dont think this will happen.
    AB apparently loves to return Punts and is reluctant to give it up.
    I think the amount of times he does it will decrease but i can guarantee you will see him back there again this year.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know about that, last year he seemed to run out of bounds more often than usual. He may be starting to save himself as his career moves along,especially after the injury against NE. I would only use him when we desperately need a big play....IMO.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He had 11returns last year with 10 fair catches. The long of 16 yards and an average of 5.5 yards. Not what he once was at it.

Henderson averaged 13.4 yards per punt return with 3 TDs. He had 4 KO return TDs. :cool:

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I know there is more to the game than stats but this is just a quick look at what kind of value we are getting with DHB, again no disprespect to DHB he is pretty darn good on ST but is the value there? So if my numbers are right we punted 64 times with 2 TB's and 90 ko's with 46 TB's. So 44 ko offs and 62 punts makes 106 att's on ST and if I am reading this right DHB had 6 tackles(3 solo and 3 asst). I know stats are just that and stats don't show a guy doing his job but this is ST's if we have some young players that offer more in other positions and can be a gunner I think they have to be given the spot. The key is they have to be able to offer what DHB does as a gunner. jmo

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I bet my house that DHB makes the team again. All for the same reasons as previous years, he's too valuable to cut because he can do many things well. Washington still has to prove his worth. If he's a bust in any way, suddenly our strength at WR will become weak if AB or JuJu get hurt. I think we'll carry 6 WRs again. AB, JuJu, Washington, Tucker, DHB, & Hunter...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    How many houses do you own? :smiley1: You bet one in the Landry thread too....

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Tucker may be the odd man out. Henderson brings that return ability that gets AB off the field on STs. That will be huge this year in trying to keep him healthy. We need him more than ever to be on the field this year. I also think hunter will be used much more often than last year. He will have to block better though.:cool:

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Where is your house I want out of NY....lol. As for DHB being to valuable at to many things please explain which ones? While DHB has been a very good special teamer like I pointed out above he had a total of 6 tackles in 106 chances, he also only caught 2 passes while being targeted 3 times and rushed 2 times as well. I just think this is the year we give these younger guys a chance who will offer more either in the passing game or on defense and also freeing up 1.3m.

Guys like Henderson, Thomas, Summers(RB and CB) Huguegin, Galambos, Kelsey, Tucker, Franklin and Griffey are all fighting for a spot and can offer more than just ST. Add in the group we just drafted Edmunds, Allen and Samuels and we have plenty of ST bodies that can get it done. I think while DHB has been good this is the year he gets replace by youth. jmo

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    You forgot to exclude fair catches.

Another significant factor that doesn’t show up in stats is that a good gunner will influence the returner. Perhaps he decides to fair-catch instead of return (effectively, a tackle for no gain), stay in the endzone (touchback instead of return), or return to the other side of the field (and potentially into the arms of another player, who then gets credit for the tackle).

I’m not in love with DHB, but I can also see how a lot of ST performance is hard for fans to appreciate.

18. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    Thru the years so many guys with kickoff return potential had not panned out. I think it was more of a lack of blocking scheme ..for some reason guys on our team on ST don't take blocking serious. I'm never too excited to have a midget 5' 8" 100lb WR on the roster ..it's the Dri Archer PTSD syndrome...

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    How many guys do we keep on this unit and how does it play out on game day?

DHB
    Nat berhe
    Fort
    Allen
    Canaday
    Suisham
    Berry
    Henderson?
    Nix

That's 9 players. Two backup OL is 11. 2 backup RBs. is 13. A BU QB is 14. 22 starters is 36. Two backup DL minimum is 38. At least 1 BU TE is 39. We only have a few spots remaining. Edmund's is 40. WR is 41. Corner is 42. 43 if we dress 3 linemen. 44 if we dress 2 NT 45. Hilton is 46. OLB 47. ????? Who sits? That's a lot of STs guys to dress. Does it mean some of these guys actually will play more of a position if needed over who we think will make the team? :hmm::cool:

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  22. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Since I haven't seen PWP responded to this thread, I will speak in his place. I don't know how you can ask this question about DHB, Mac! Besides his game changing speed and his value on special teams, he backs up the TEs, QBs, RBs, and the entire defense. DHB is also the real coach of this team! Seriously though, I like DHB, and I hope he sticks around.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    I forecast my 53 roster every year & get about 90% right every year. This year I got:

DHB - playing the same role as last year
    Nat Berhe - special teams/depth ......he makes the 53 but not sure if he makes the 48
    Fort - practice squad bound
    Allen - special teams/depth ...he makes the 53 but not sure if he makes the 48
    Canaday - starter
    Suisham - starter
    Berry - starter
    Henderson - practice squad unless he beat out Tucker
    Nix - 53 ...he gets a hat every Sunday making the 48

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think fort can go to the PS this year. :cool:

25. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    Oh crap, that's a shame. I see no way in hell he's making the 53. Hate to lose him, he's good depth...