1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben Not Happy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, May 5, 2018.

1. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm not criticizing Ben for feeling however he wants to feel. I am criticizing him for creating a media story for his teammates to deal with when he could have avoided it by not being a dick in his response. That was apparently too much for Ben to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Remember, the Pats have drafted several QB's over the years. Every time someone is signed or drafted, it is another players replacement, yet we don't often hear guys whining about it the way Ben is. It's just ridiculous. Like I said earlier, show me another top QB who acts the way he does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Okay on the bright side....

Maybe Ben will be motivated to crush the teams he should now, if he is looking over his shoulder...

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I gave you a bunch of examples of QBs who act the way he does. Eli pouted when he lost his consecutive games streak. The Ravens are experiencing it. Hell, the other three teams with aging stud QBs who really have to be looking at QB in the next two years didn't even bother drafting a qb to avoid the circus.

And the whole Garapolo situation was a ****show. Aging stud qb, 3rd round drafted qb nearing the end of his rookie contract and showing all of the signs of being the next stud qb. And, from all of the news reports, Tommy boy forces them to trade him. I don't know if you read about it last season while Garapolo was leading a cruddy team to a 6-0 finish, but it was all over the news.

And I guess I'm sick of everyone saying "but the Patriots". I really don't give a crap. Don't use the one outlier in a league of 32, and then leave out key details to make your point. The day I have to say "well, the Patriots do it better" or "why can't our coach be more like Belichek" or "why can't our QB be more like Tom Brady" is the day I become a Patriot fan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hush your mouth.

No need to get crazy now. Talk like that is going off the deep end. Become a patriot fan, Huh. Do we have to have an intervention?

:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok I will pipe in now lol. It is a big deal I don't know about you but my phone gets about 3-4 updates a day the last few days about Ben not being happy. This isn't a bunch of message board guys talking it is people covering the NFL and the Steelers.

What I don't understand why is it the Media when it comes to Ben but yet not Bell. The same thing happened with Bell and everyone wanted to jump on him. Yeah Bell is asking for a lot of money but last I check isn't Ben the highest player on the team and double what Bell is making? Glenn not trying to turn this into a Bell vs Ben thing just trying to point out there is more than one squeaky wheel on this team.

I don't hate Ben and I don't love Bell but fair is fair the Media IMO has blown both these up and while both players should have taken the high road they didn't and both have to pay the price from the fans cause it comes with the job. :smiley1:

7. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Front office needs to tell Ben to do what they are paying him to do and let the front office do there job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Guess you missed the part where I said Ben needs to keep his mouth shut.
    The Bell situation is not even comparable. Nice try though.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Nope didn't miss that and it wasn't a try just pointing it out.......

11. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Imagine the madness if the Steelers took Rudolph in the 1st round.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That was back when Ben had the whole God complex thing going on. A lot of stories back then about him being a dick.

He seems much more affable now.

I thought Ben could have answered that question with more tact, cringed when I read it but seeing all the hate directed at him is ridiculous. Bens not worried about Mason taking his job, he feels like many of us felt, that those 3rd rd picks could have been put to better use.

I keep hearing about Mason being a first rd talent, yet he wasnt taken until the 3rd. The evaluations for Mason are all over the place, Ive seen one that says he could be a good back up. Back up! I have no idea how Mason will do, evaluating QB's is the hardest position IMO. He looks like an NFL QB but many of QBs that looked the part failed miserably.

I never would have taken him in the 3rd. I get why they did but Id have preferred a different direction that rd.

Like I said in a previous post, Bens mistake was voicing what so many other people were thinking, not for feeling the way he does.

I agree with Steelcity_NB and hope Ben has reached out to Rudolph and squared things away. Hopefully they are laughing about all this.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    As usual I blame a lot of this on the media but that is their jobs. I feel Ben could have done things a lot different and really do we know exactly what was said and how it was said? I am with Steelcity and Blast as far as hoping Ben and Mason are having a good laugh about this.......

15. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    July 28, 2017.. Enough Said. Ben shut up..

Roethlisberger told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he’s not willing to commit to playing past 2017.

Roethlisberger’s announcement in January 2017 that he was contemplating walking away from the NFL came as a bit of a surprise

“I’m going to take this off-season to evaluate, to consider all options,” Roethlisberger said in an interview on a Pittsburgh radio station. “To consider health, and family and things like that and just kind of take some time away to evaluate next season, if there’s going to be a next season.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The Steelers are covering their butts. They liked this kid as an option if Ben was going to go, so getting him in the 3rd was like icing on the cake, instead of having to use a higher pick. Ben should have let the team know for sure he would be around and not be back and forth on the retirement fence. As they say, once that talk starts you already are. Ben may be feeling they are forcing his hand to a point but really they are preparing for when. Ben needs to prepare for a season and get the team where it needs to go. It's not up to this team to have all pros at every position so Ben can skate to another SB win, he has to do his part too. It's been 10 years since Ben took us to the promise land. The team is not building for just Ben to win but the franchise, and Ben better come down off his mr.franchise high horse and figure it out. They won championships before him and they will after him. I think that's why he and Bradshaw butted heads. The they can't do it without me mentality. Get your self in win shape Ben instead of coasting into the season and living on what I have done and being lazy about his off season approach. There is a new gunslinger on the stage coming to town, whatcha got left cowboy? Maybe you better get to work franchise. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    What a sucky story.

"It was in sixth grade. We at were at a 'Hoops for a Cure' thing at my high school," McConnell said. "He was getting bombarded left and right, so I completely understand."

Doesn't give any details about it though, and says "I was a little petty and rooted for [a team in the AFC North] and then I reverted back to [being] a Steelers fan. I was a Cincinnati Bengals fan for a little bit."

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree....like you said the evaluations were all over the place and I know they had interest but a part of me thinks maybe they were gonna wait until their second 3rd or even later but their were rumors Cincinnati was going to take him so we beat them to it. They might of been willing to lose him but not to a division rival so they grabbed him. I don't remember who might have been available after MR and before Chuks and I'm afraid to go back and look to see if there were any quality ILBs, RBs or any highly rated guys still there....

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually Ben told the team right after the playoff loss to the Jags he wanted to play 3 more years, the only time he talked retirement was after the loss to the Pats in the AFCCG after the 2016 season.

23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't think this story matters to the future success of the team. Rudolph and Dobbs seem squared away mentally to the point where I doubt either is impacted by Ben's comments. Ben certainly won't be negatively effected by the attention. But I don't at all agree with the people who are criticizing the media for reporting on this. Ben is the one who created this story, not the media.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He absolutely said it would be year to year at one point. Tomlin said he takes that talk of retirement seriously. :cool:

25. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Just some guy named Aaron Rogers. Is he any good?