1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben Not Happy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, May 5, 2018.

1. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wish Mason would have said they did get someone that could help this year. If Ben can't win with this team as is then maybe the problem isn't the team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    I could be wrong, but it looks like the FO might be addressing locker room chemistry as well as talent in this year's draft. Demeanor and character-wise, Washington and Rudolph couldn't be more different than Bryant and Roethlisberger.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Exactly my point.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yet here is the same guy that eluded to his retirement last year and made additional comments that maybe he does not have it anymore lol
    What is the organization suppose to think about his comments and lack of commitment.

5. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Ben is the one who made this a deal at all. Stupid, immature comments from our "team leader."

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    While I understand where he's coming from....some people just shouldn't be allowed to have a mic anywhere near them. Every time he goes on that radio show he says some asinine ****. Very poor leadership but par for the course for this team....starting with the HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Some people really digging deep here. Can't believe that people are so gullible to fall for this media pot stirring.

Should Ben have kept his mouth shut? Yes, but dang this is not that big of a deal.

Some serious Big Ben hate going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I finally got around to listening to full clip and I’ve got no idea why some of you are so amped up over this...unless you’re all just reading the out of context quotes and being led around by the nose by the drama loving, muck stirring, click bait media.

Some sports journalists/commentators...whatever ...are worse than a gaggle of gossiping old women.

This isn’t reality TV or a soap opera - it’s football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, there is some hate, although to be fair, I do hate the man (from what I know, which I realize is only what I get the chance to read). I treasure the wins Ben helps the franchise get, but I truly can't stand him. Although we could be in for some lean years, when Ben leaves, it won't break my heart. The man doesn't have a humble bone in his body. He's not a leader whatsoever. He's a crybaby who expects to get his way all the time.

Besides, there's no digging involved. Ben can hate the draft picks all he wants, but he needs to keep his comments in house. What other star QB's act the way he does? I can't think of any.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Your right its not a big deal .. Just slow news days .. Keeps everyone excited haha

• Like Like x 1
  11. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Then he should have been mad his entire life, since he his only a tad above homely. ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I never claimed it was a big deal, but the comments certainly do nothing to help the team. You'd think a guy so worried about the team being competitive would take some simple steps to help that out. I'd suggest by starting with just keeping his mouth shut if all he is going to do is whine.

And people love to blame the media but the media would have absolutely nothing to work with on this if Ben didn't feel the need to whine to them

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I hear you brother!

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agree. It's hard to believe that some people are duped by this nonsense.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    When you make posts like this and have a profile picture like you do it's obvious you are blinded by your hatred of Ben. Hard to respect your views or opinions when you can't be objective?

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Some of you complain about Ben whining to the media, but he's human just like the rest of us. He has the same fears as any other person. Heck I'm not helping anyone to take my job either. Just because he can throw a football really good doesn't mean he's Super human emotionally.
    Plus he didn't call them up to "whine" He was asked a question on his weekly radio show and answered it.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There is substance to this though Glenn and trying to pass it off as slow news day, media making a big deal and so on doesn't mean that he isn't worried about his job. Just look at his history. When he was first drafted Bettis wrote his number down on Ben's notebook, said call me anytime. That sticks with Ben and he passes that on doing the same for rookies drafted after him. He has never showed anything but a good attitude towards any QB they have had the team. He has shown that he is reluctant to give up that starting role when it is clear that he is not able to function at even 80% so it is something that he is very protective of but might not acknowledge that he is. This past season he has them put the young guys lockers next to his so he can impart what it means to be a Steeler to them. Then we get this crap that started as jokes, and I'm not worried about my job, oh I'll just point at the playbook. If there is no substance why is this so completely out of character with how he normally handles rookie Qb's or new QB's or anything. SO yes he is worried about his job and yes there is substance to this story and honestly he should just stay quiet

18. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Actually I am being objective. Get your vision checked.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Here's the quote.
    Regarding Rudolph telling reporters it wasn't up to Roethlisberger to mentor him, the Steelers' starting quarterback said, "If he asks me a question, I might just have to point to the playbook."

Ben was responding to mason saying it wasn't up Ben to mentor him. I'm sure there was a bit of sarcasm in Ben's response.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    My vision is fine. I had a creative response, but I'll just stick to the discussion.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That was one comment out of several he made including the questioning of the pick, does nothing to help the team win now. sorry for Jones and Dobbs it is just some strange goings on for it to be a non story.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He questioned taking a guy that probably won't play anytime soon. legitimate criticism. Heck the majority of the fan base has suggested we should be in win now mode since BB is probably only around for a couple more seasons. Big Ben shouldn't have said that out loud and he's gotta be smarter than that, but i can totally understand the way he feels.
    With that said I personally really liked the pick. My hunch is things will settle down and those two will get along just fine.

23. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, your first point is not valid at all. Actually living very close to Rock Hill say within 10 miles, I can tell you he and his family are tickled pink that he was drafted by the Steelers. Of course, if Ben continues his 5 year old impersonation, that could change. As I said in another thread, South Carolina and the immediate area around Charlotte is a hot bed of Steeler supporters. They are as popular as the Panthers down here and there has been nothing in the papers to indicate any displeasure.

Secondly, I am sure he would have liked to go to some bum team for a chance to compete and say, get drilled repeatedly. Or, he could be drafted by arguably the best franchise in the NFL and sit behind a HOF QB. Competitor? Sure. If he was not, then no matter how good he is, he ain't gonna make in the NFL playing for anyone.

The fact remains that Ben is the cause of this whole mess in his mind. He is the one who has said repeatedly over the last few years that he wants or is thinking of retiring. So, given his history with injuries and the very fact that he himself has indicated more than once that he is close to retirement, what is the organization supposed to do? Wait until the dam actually breaks or prepare for any breaks now. The organization took a leap when a top flight QB was still available in the 3rd round.

What did it really cost the Steeler's anyway? Not a first or second but a third round pick. A pick that might be the future.

Finally, you do not hear Brady bitching about the Pats poor defense do you? Brady wants more offensive weapons. People that will help him score. Ben should be pleased that he got a great replacement for Bryant who was only one puff from sitting for good.

Ben needs to worry about getting the ball in the end zone, period and stop worrying about the defense or anything else. He should actually be elated that he now has an understudy that he could pass the torch to in the near future.

Personally, we need this. Next time he throws 5 int's and folks start chanting for Ma-son, it might just make him focus a little better. Right now he has a job that no matter how poorly he plays, he will never get benched because there is no talent at QB 2 and 3. So, he has it made. He is living fat, dumb and happy.

Instead of being a leader and the teammate to look up to, he is acting like a 5 year old.

rutan

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Henderson, Nevada I think. I remember a write up about him working with local high school kids in that area during his second suspension.

25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Out of the top 6 QBs in the draft, only two were drafted by teams with established, Super Bowl winning QBs. One of those, Ben, made some, well, honestly, unwise comments, and the draftee did everything he could to defuse the situation. The other, by his own admission, won't make any comments, and the best I can get out of interviews with his replacement is "Hur hur". Honestly, Jackson was my black horse pick for the Steelers in the first round, but after watching interviews of him, I understand why he scored a 13 on his wonderlic, and am glad we didn't pick him.

The media was going nuts for months before the draft about how Eli would react if the Giants drafted a QB i the first, and they didn't draft one. The Chargers, with an aging QB, passed on QB. New Orleans, who has an even older QB, passed on QB. The Patriots, who have an even older QB, passed on QB til the seventh round.

A stud QB has to have an ego. Like Flacco or hate him, his ego was damaged by the Ravens taking Jackson. He's a SB winning QB. He knows what happened to Favre, who if you don't remember played at a high level for two years after being replaced/released. So does Ben. So do Eli, Rivers, Brees, and Tommy Boy. Hell, Payton wasn't enthused by the Colts drafting Luck, and he had some of his best years after joining the Broncos, including a SB.

Do I agree with the things Ben said? Nope. Do I know why he didn't make the same comments when Dobbs was picked, or Landry Jones? Yep, cause he was younger, they were not as talented, and he didn't see them as a threat to replace him. Do I know why he was upset? Yup. Just like everyone on the board would be if they were asked to train their replacement when they believe they were years away from retirement.

I have been a Steeler fan since Franco's Immaculate Reception. I've lived through two Hall of Fame caliber QBs and a lot who weren't. Bradshaw had an ego, Ben has an ego. No one wants to look their mortality in the face. I forgive Ben, and his what I believe are unwise comments. Because I know that ten years from now, I will still be a Steelers fan, if Rudolph is the face of the franchise or not. Twenty years from now, with a qb who is probably now in diapers, I will be a fan. Hopefully, thirty and forty years from now, I will still be a fan.