1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben Not Happy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, May 5, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    That is a non sequitur.

3. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    How so? You seem to be evaluating skill based on round taken, no?

4. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Sorry, my bad. I meant to say..

Dobbs was taken in the 4th last year, this in the 3rd. IS there really that much of a difference? But I kind of agree with Ben. we could have used that 3rd pick on a ILB, TE or RB.

What I meant was it was not that much different than taking Dobbs last year as far as not helping the team this year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Yeah not cocky at all if people hear how he says it.

Skip to about 3:10 and people can hear how he's talking.

The guy is confident in his own abilities but that's not being arrogant and cocky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    The Steelers existed long before BB. They'll exist ling after him too. Get over yourself

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Completely agree we've been spoiled with good Quarterback play for a while. People forget the Kordell Stewart/ Tommy Maddox/ Neil O' Donnel, etc Very nice what we've had with Ben, and it is his job.

As for Washington at WR to replace Bryant, look for him to contribute more and to have an immediate impact. He is better than Bryant overall. Wait and see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The thing is Ben never criticizes who they draft in any round but it seems odd since they drafted MR in the 3rd he thinks they wasted a pick, he didn't say anything about what we could have used that 4th pick on last year for another need, truth is he didn't feel threatened by dobbs but he does with the MR pick, I think he wants his buddy LJ to be his replacement and he still does in my opinion....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So, you guys would rather take an ILB with a mid round grade than a possible heir apparent, franchise quarterback with a first round grade? Rudolph, if he pans out, could be helping the Steelers compete for Super Bowls for the next 12-15 years, long after the mediocre and hypothetical ILB has retired and gone out to pasture. Quarterback is still far and away the most important position on the team and ensuring the long term viability of that position is of the utmost importance. I don't understand the criticism of the Rudolph pick given his overall value in the third round. Glad some fans don't run the Steelers draft.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Good article. The difference is that Ben mouthed off to the media and threw the Steelers FO, Mason Rudolph and Josh Dobbs all under the bus in a sense. Malone didn't remember Bradshaw expressing that he felt threatened in any way and I had forgotten that it was Maddox's agent that spouted off and not Maddox, who talked to Cowher behind closed doors. And Bubby was always spouting off about something, lol. I've had a couple of days to reflect as well and I still think Ben looks like an immature juvenile and passive aggressive girl with some of his comments. He just needs to shut up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ahhhh Bubby! Remember when Bubby Brister refused to go in for Neil O'Donnell in the 4th quarter of a loss? My Dad had a shirt he used to wear that said, Bubby's Bucket Brigade "We don't mop up for anybody". I always thought that was a classic.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL! Love it. Brister was a great example of a quarterback who had all of the physical tools but was lacking from the neck up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Ben has definately earned a little leeway but i dont agree that the job is his until "he" doesnt want it.
    Again would you have kept Favre when you had Rodgers waiting there in year 4?
    Green Bay knew what they had and Favre was not ready to retire even though he was an icon in Green Bay.
    In 3 years if Ben still wants to play but the Steelers see that Rudolf is ready for greatness then i have zero problem with the Steelers moving on from Ben even if he still wants to play. Thats the nature of the game!

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You know its not just Ben speaking out that has you bothered, its that he feels that way at all and the article points out that it is natural.

Bradshaw is a baby too. "Why wont he hug me, why wont he love me". And you know what Im talking about!

16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    If it wasn't for Ben we'd be the Bengals. He's been the leader of this team for some time now...and he's been one of the best QB's in the league for a long time. I think his opinion matters. He's got a perspective of team needs and wants that we as fans don't have. If the FO wanted to ignore those needs or maybe they disagree with Ben as to what is most important...then it's understandable why he'd be pissed. who wouldn't.

17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I appreciate all that Ben has done for the Steelers but that doesn't mean I think he is particularly likable, because I don't. He comes across as a raging ******* most of the time, tbh. Maybe that is a good trait in a QB. If so I can handle it as I have no interest in being Ben's friend anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    The funny thing is if you watch that video of Mason getting the call from Tomlin on draft day...you can see the disappointment in everyone's faces . Do you think he wanted to be drafted by a team with a HOF QB with no intention of retiring in the next 3 years? He had to be hoping for a chance to compete for playing time. Basically the steelers are going to give him 2 years of learning the system... year 3 the steelers will know if they want to move forward with Mason or go after another Qb. History shows most 3rd round QB's don't end up being good NFL starters. I get why Ben thinks this was a totally wasted pick. I can't say I disagree but our FO has usually done a good job drafting . We have a system of looking to the future on draft day if we don't think there's a player available to help us now. It appears to me that our FO did not like this draft class as all.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Rudolph ain't no Rodgers though :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    A LOT of assumptions here.

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    There are assumptions with every draft pick. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Eh you never know. I personally never expected Rogers to be that great. Thought he'd be another bust.

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, but even Bradshaw had enough sense to keep his mouth shut about the Steelers FO and their draft picks while he was still the starting quarterback and one of the most important leaders of the football team. Ben’s being ridiculous. When he retires in 5 years or 2 years or tomorrow he can mouth off all he wants. For now he needs to be focused on team cohesiveness and winning another Super Bowl or two, not being bothered by some unproven rookie who he perceives as a threat.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Could you share that video, because I never saw it. All I saw was a video of Mason hearing his name called, and there was palpable relief from a quarterback and his family who expected his name to be called much earlier.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft...s-being-picked-by-Steelers-in-the-third-round
    On NFL Total Access, he was asked to name some coaches he would like to play for and the only name he gave was Mike Tomlin.
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/31/mason-rudolph-would-love-to-play-for-mike-tomlin/
    He went on to explain he enjoyed Coach Tomlin's visit at Pro Day and he saw him as a player's coach. I think his only disappointment is that he believes he is every bit as good as the five QBs that went in the first round and he fell to the third.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    On one hand this is kinda example of Tomlin and FO not being honest with players but on the other it's understandable given Ben's will I won't I play next year drama. He did it to himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1