1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben Not Happy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, May 5, 2018.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sure it does affect Ben, but part of being a professional is, well, being professional. Part of that is knowing when to be vocal about something and when to keep your thoughts to yourself or at least within the organization behind closed doors. Ben has to decide whether or not he's going to put a lid on this drama, or allow it to become yet another distraction on a team full of distractions. It's up to him. How many Super Bowls have we won since the drama queens have been running the team? Zero, and that's in spite of having arguably the best talent in the league, at least on offense. Ben needs to get a grip and just keep his mouth shut. If he doesn't want to help the kid, fine don't help him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Landry Jones will teach Rudolph how to play QB in the NFL. :cool:

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If it makes anyone feel any better, Flacco is also unhappy. He was attending a Ravens draft fest the day of the draft. They asked him about Lamar Jackson. His response: "I'm not going to speak on that.". In hindsight maybe that's what Ben should have said.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Very happy we have Rudolph and not Jackson! Hope I feel the same in 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Mark Kaboly is wrong if you ask me. Ben has had the best offense in the last couple of years and still could not win it all. Losing Bryant seriously is not going to make or break Bens championship. Get it done and stop moaning for christ sakes

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’ve read the reports but not heard the original quote.

The pointing to the playbook bit sounds like it could be a bad attempt at a joke - Rudolph says he doesn’t expect a mentor, Bens saying that means he’ll have to point to the playbook - but difficult to tell what the tone was.

Either way, I would have hoped Ben would have learned how to act in public by now.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If people look at an actual breakdown of Lamar, they'll see this guy does a good job of reading defenses, moving in the pocket, good mechanics, with an accurate strong arm. He looks down field and can extend things with his legs. I think he's going to be lighting it up in a couple years.

With that said, I'm glad we didn't pick him up in the first but got Mason in the 3rd. Mason needs to work on his mechanics/stance (which will improve both his arm strength and accuracy). Both QBs are poise in the pocket when faced with pressure with Lamar being even better. Aside from Josh Allen's size, mobility, and arm strength, this guy has no poise in the pocket and is erratic when things don't go perfect. Believe the Bills will be disappointed taking him so high. My prediction for the bust at QB out of this class.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ben was apparently chuckling when he said he was going to point to the playbook. Which I interpret is an affront in response to Mason earlier stating he wasn't going to depend on Ben to learn but take the initiate himself... or something along those lines.

Mason's response to Ben, IMO is much classier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with this. Lamar is a great athlete who plays QB as opposed to a great QB who is also a great athlete. There's a big difference between the two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    OK. Here is a guy who wonders whether he still has it after throwing 5 picks last year. Who has repeatedly talked about retiring over the years and then has the nerve to criticize the Steeler's organization for drafting a QB who has the ability.

So you thought last year was filled with drama? The king of drama has started the year off in fine form. Ben the ever drama queen strikes again. This is nothing new but it is really getting old.

IMO, the true Pro would have welcomed an understudy. Someone to eventually pass the torch to. Funny, I don't remember the Bus dissing the Steelers when Willie Parker came on board. Funny, but I don't remember Tommy Gun being upset that the Steelers drafted Ben now did he. Even if he was, to my knowledge he did not say so. That goes for any number of aging Steelers when they have drafted for eventual replacements.

This is a dangerous situation to me. The last thing you want to do is set a bad example to the new kid on the block and build a wedge. As others have said, it is clear that Ben feels threatened by MR. That can only mean that Ben has seen the tapes and realizes he is no Landry or Dobbs.

Remember, Ben has said he would "like" to play 3 more years. I doubt it. We all know if the Steelers were to win the SB, he would retire. Then what? We also know, he could get hurt and probably will next year which could mean more than one game. Then what? Let's say Ben goes down for 6 games which is not out of the question. Is LJ going to lead the Steelers to 5-1 or 4-2 over that stretch? Not without a defense to lean on, so my money will be to insert MR and let him have at it. We already know what LJ can do and this would be a good time to insert MR to see how he handles the situation. But I digress that this is pure conjecture. Hopefully, Ben does not get hurt.

Ben forgets at times that this is a business and the Steelers have to do what they believe is best for them, not Ben. Sounds like someone needs to have a chat with Ben and ease his pain if that is even possible,

So, let the drama begin. Next will be Antonio dissing on Washington or some other nonsense. These are slow news days until camp opens, so why not stir up a big mess right now and give the press something to write about while creating division in the locker room before anyone even gets there? These are not your 70's Steeler's after all.

rutan

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. fansincethesixties

fansincethesixties Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    This...when I read Rudolph's quote I also thought that he was giving Ben an out as to expectations of having Ben mentor him. Not saying in the least that he didn't want help, just that he didn't EXPECT IT. And Ben, being the complete buffoon and drama queen that he's always been, stirs the pot in the locker room with his reply...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Ben has an ego...Always has, but so far he’s been able to back it up with his play. However, his latest comments come off as insecurity. Not about Mason the player, but over his future career and obtaining a new contract.

He wants soon to be Rogers money. Can’t blame him. And I think he thought now with Haley out of the way, he can win playing an offense that will be more dependent on his input.

I think it was a constant power struggle with Haley as our oc and Fichtner will mold an offense around Bens liking. We will be passing a lot this year. Just my prediction.

I’ll say this, we will either see a Ben with a rekindled fire under his... (similar to Arians era in attitude), who plays with conviction and will win a Super Bowl through the best offense we’ve seen yet, or it will play out similar to the Rodgers situation in Green Bay.

Either way, the competition is a good thing.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    More drama from the "Drama Queen". Unless the original report is out there somewhere, stay classy Ben.

Could have just stated he is not worried about that and was focusing upon building on the success of next season.

Instead though, his take on humor regarding Mason Rudolph learning the playbook continues to illustrate the "Drama Queen" label that has followed him since 2008.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Dobbs was taken in the 4th last year, this in the 3rd. IS there really that much of a difference? But I kind of agree with Ben. we could have used that 3rd pick on a ILB, TE or RB.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Having the best offense doesn't mean you will win a SB, you have to be good in all three phases of the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Actually, the Lil' Benny the drama queen is stirring up drama. I luv it. Maybe he will live up to his potential.

17. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Well, Brady was taken in the 6th so according to your logic...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    That was so said tongue and cheek. He was a little defensive after tossing 5 picks.

19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Mason can play. Dobbs can't. Everyone's about to find that out. Unfortunately the better Mason plays the worse this is going to get. It's going to be a long season of Ben looking over his shoulder.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That seriously may be a good thing. LJ’s knock isn’t his knowledge of the game.

21. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Completely agree. Landry is just not as physically gifted as he needs to be. No amount of work and preparation is gonna make better throwing the ball.
    But he is a student of the game. I believe he is the perfect person to mentor young Rudolf. Where as Ben has gotten by alot on his physical play and less so the mental game. (granted Ben has gotten better mentally) but he was never Peyton or Brees mentally where as Landry might be able to help Rudolf a little better in the mental aspect of playing QB.

22. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I think Ben is just mad Mason is better looking than he is.

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Well actually Maddox did voice his displeasure when the Steelers drafted Ben IIRC.

24. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I didnt read the quote, I heard him say it. Maybe it was the moment, maybe it was nerves, maybe it was poor choice of words. :shrug:

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I get the dislike for Roethlisberger, but some of you are in for a rude awakening once he is gone. We've been spoiled by having a future Hall of Famer for so long.

Roethlisberger has zero reason to look over his shoulder. The job is his, probably for as long as he wants it. He has a legitimate gripe. The Steelers did get weaker offensively by trading Bryant and the player they got with the pick is unlikely to help the team this year.

• Winner Winner x 1