1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben Not Happy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, May 5, 2018.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You use the word Shocked twice, once in quotes. The word doesn't appear in the article. Surprised does.

Does he sound happy? Nope, but an article tends to either greatly emphasize the positive or the negative.

Kind of like using a much stronger term like, say, shocked, instead of the word used. Kind of to stir up drama.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Cry me a river Ben, I thought you was more mature than the way your acting, if he asks you a question you just might point to the play book, thats acting like that other horses ass Brett Favre, if you cant play well enough to keep a rookie on the bench then maybe it's time for you to retire after all.........

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "Casablanca" reference..................?!

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You mean like Ben? :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Its definite that he isn't happy. I guess no one can force him to be. If it lights a fire under him that wins a Lombardi than great. I just hops the animosity is not palpable in the locker room.

7. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Ben’s a d!ck. Always has been. It’s just him being himself and establishing alpha dog status that he desperately needs right from the beginning.

Personally if MR is going to make it I’d rather he did study the playbook and film rather than ask Ben.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    From around the NFL:

Without access to Pittsburgh's practices or the coaching staff's evaluations, it's impossible to gauge Dobbs' progress. What we do know, however, is that he was overwhelmed in preseason action last summer and the presence of Rudolph places his roster spot in jeopardy.

It's hard to blame the Steelers for taking another swing at a quarterback they graded on par with the best in this year's draft class. Even if Roethlisberger plans to play three more years, he's not in a position to guarantee that level of commitment.

From 93.7 fan,
    “I wouldn’t think they’d get rid of Mason, keep Dobbs and Landry,” Roethlisberger said. “I wouldn’t think. Maybe they’re trying to trade me away or something, I don’t know.”

He laughed as he said it. The Steelers likely weren’t laughing very much when they listened to the full interview, because it’s clear that there will now be plenty of tension in the quarterback room, and that the guy who has led the depth chart since entering the fray as a rookie in 2004 won’t be bashful about stirring things up, publicly and presumably privately.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ben gave the Steelers no choice as he's been bringing up this concept of retirement. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. No one knows.

It shouldn't be a surprise as it was public knowledge the Steelers scouted Rudolph. him available in the 3rd round is a no brainier.

Ben's response is natural though as he apparently didn't see Dobbs as any real threat to his position, but it seems he's slightly concerned about Rudolph.

He's been open about not being very helpful mentoring him either. Didn't have that type of response for Dobbs.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...steelers-drafted-mason-rudolph-wont-mentor-qb

Mason Rudolph is already on record much earlier stating he wasn't going to look to Ben to teach him and that it was up to him.

Ultimately this is good and should elevate both their games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Okay, you guys just might rope me in. If Ben decides he's just going to "point to the playbook", that will be absolutely no problem for Mason. You've probably heard it said that he is a student of the game. That is truth. There are numerous accounts of him calling Gundy or Yurcich at night to go over plays. He graduated in December and carried 3 hours his last semester. The rest of the time he was either at practice or in the film room. He's a quick study.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combi...ason-Rudolph-diagram-plays-for-Steve-Mariucci
    He's unselfish. His sophomore year he shared snaps when our senior quarterback, JW Walsh, was back on his feet. Even then, Mason was arguably the better quarterback. JW was a dual threat so Gundy played him in the red zone all season. I can't imagine where Mason's TD numbers would have ended up if he was given all the snaps that year. Big Ben can sit on the pity pot all year, if he wants. It won't matter. Mason's not going to poke the bear.

(also, I've watched Bradford, Mahommes, Tannehill, Mayfield, Weeden, RGIII and Grier, all in person. I'm sorry, Landry is not as good as any of those guys.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    ??????????????? I guess its ok for the fans to piss and moan abt how the Steelers should have drafted someone in the third to help them win now.. But if Ben does it he is a dick ... lol

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Get over it Ben!You’re HOF qb who’s still playing at a high level!The problem is you threatened to retire after the 2016 season and your playing style(which I’m not criticizing) is to not be afraid to take a hit,which will take a toll on your body eventually!The Steelers made the right move for insurance reasons and it’s a great value pick in my opinion!The Steelers are not going to wait until just out of the blue Ben says”I’m ready to retire now!”

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To be honest from the first preseason game to the last preseason game, Dobbs made progress. I think he will continue to do so. Landry has made a lot of progress too from his start. This is not a bad problem to have. Ben not getting an extension yet may be his problem. As Colbert stated we will wait for the draft to decide. I said it then that they were doing more than just due diligence this year with the talent that was available in this draft. The way I see it is we are not going to tie up a ton of money in Ben's future at his age until we know the product won't start to decline in a year or two. He's at that stage in his career that the wheels may come off at any point. If they don't then he may get those yearly contracts. :cool:

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That way he could get it right.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018

Remember back when you said I didn't want to draft a quarterback because it would hurt Ben's feelings? Well Ben's feelings seem kind of hurt.

The talk that is going on now is exactly what I wanted to avoid. This team has enough drama without a season long quarterback controversy. It's only been a week and it's already starting. Like I've been saying all along, what is it going to be like the first time Ben plays a bad game? What is it going to be like when Ian Rappaport puts out that he has a source that Ben wants traded? Dosent matter if it's true or not. Once it's out there people will be talking.

I said it in the draft thread and I'll say it again. I can't think of anything more counterproductive to winning a Super Bowl this year than drafting a quarterback.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  17. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Ben wants another Super Bowl before he retires and he knows that window is closing. I was also confused over trading Bryant to acquire Washington. But I think that was a money thing since Bryants contract comes up in the near future. It probably also didnt sit well with MR saying basically he wasnt going to seek Bens help. To me that was a cocky comment coming from a nobody about a future Hall of Fame QB. The last thing MR should want is to burn the bridges of any knowledge until he has actually played at the NFL level.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Steel4Blood

Sep 7, 2017
    The whole things sucks. I remember when Brett Favre did this and god was it annoying.
    Its gonna be interesting if Ben gets injured and Mason lights it up.
    Like Diamond said there will be tension in the QB room.
    Ben was not threatened by Dobbs obviously. That tells me that he thinks Rudolf is gonna be a good QB because he is obviously a little salty about him.
    Competition never hurt anyone. maybe this will light a fire under Ben to not have his couple bad games a year, because he knows if he does some fans will be chanting for Mason. ( as stupid as that is you know this will happen!!!!)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel4Blood

Sep 7, 2017
    Its funny you took his quote that way, See i took that quote as him kind of telling Ben he didnt need to help him if he didnt want because he realizes some QBs just dont want to help the competition. I didnt take him as being cocky but more of letting Ben off the hook that he isnt expected to do anything.
    Its cool how people can read a quote and just see it in different ways.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Uh, fans are fanatics and Ben is (presumably) the leader of the team. Big difference in him mouthing off about the pick and fans criticizing it.

Agree. It's not about Ben being insecure, it's about him being a passive-aggressive, whiny cry-baby.

21. Steel4Blood

Sep 7, 2017
    I understand what your saying cause i believe there will be exactly what your saying, Controversy. When Ben has a bad game and the fans boo and chant rudolf is gonna hurt his feelings. Lets face it Ben is a little sensitive. Then what does he ask for a trade?
    But i believe that if the Packers had to do it all again with Rodgers they would.
    I believe 4 or 5 years from now we will all feel the same with Rudolf. We wouldnt go back a change a thing. I think he is gonna be good.

22. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    no diff at all ,

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    When was the last time you heard a player criticizing its current team's draft? Not only this year but also suggesting that the Steelers screwed up in drafting Dobbs last year. Ben's being an idiot and he's creating drama that the team doesn't need. Haven't we seen enough drama over the last few years? Tom Brady probably didn't like the fact the Pats drafted Garropolo but he didn't mouth off to the press about it. He may have complained behind the scenes but kept it in house.

Are you serious that you don't think there's a difference in a fan criticizing a draft pick and the STARTING QB OF THE TEAM being critical of a pick?

24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I think it affects Ben more then it does the fans, and the fans and media is making a big deal over nothing which they do most of the time

25. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    This whole team needs to just shut up and do their jobs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1