1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Re-sign Lawrence Timmons Thread Post Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, May 3, 2018.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    What kind of money would he command? Not sure if this will ever happen. Isn’t there bad blood between Tomlin and him. Last year when he left Miami for a game and stated he wished he never left Pitt, someone suggested he would need to smooth things over with Tomlin. Or am I misremembering?

2. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I say we get him as an insurance. Hell I would rather have Timmons team up with Bostic. Williams is nice but I bet you Timmons is still a better player than him. Is Bostic, who is injury-prone, gonna last 16 games??

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is ridiculous that so many people want LT back, we just got rid of Mitchell who was slow as crap why would we want to add another slow guy? The sad fact is LT was a very good player for us but his boat has said have we not learned anything from watching this team get torched the last year and a half? From what I am reading we drafted Edmunds in the first for a reason and that is to play more dime package. Like I said before more safeties less LB's. Dirty Red can handle anything we will need in relief of Bostic but the question will be how many times are we going to see 4 LB's on the field this year? No thank you on Timmons, he was a good Steeler but WAS is the key word.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Timmons played fairly well two years ago. He didn't work in Miami, but we've seen that story before with guys like Foote and Harrison, as somebody else pointed out above. I certainly wouldn't want him as a starter, but as a backup and insurance? I think it is worth a shot.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Go back and watch that Cheats playoff game and come back and tell me how good he was...........Pass!!!!!

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Steelers paid an old linebacker to sit the bench last season, I could see them doing it again.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    When they played NE in the regular season that year, Timmons was 'covering' Edelman and gave up around 10 catches to him, a lot of them being 3rd down conversions. In the playoffs they failed to adjust for that and the results were almost the same, as would be expected. It was a mismatch the Steelers knew about and didn't correct. That's not Timmons fault. He had 14 tackles in that game.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We need to get younger and better. We are well on our way to doing that. No to LT. I think dirty red will surprise many naysayers this year. Not to mention Matt Thomas. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    James Harrison is currently 40 years old.

Lawrence Timmons is going to be 32 next season.

That is an 8 year difference in age.

People act as if Timmons is an old man. He still has some football left.

I wouldn't pay him 5 Mil a year, and post draft the Steelers wouldn't have to.

Probably could get him close to the veteran minimum.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Mark Thomas the unproven,undrafted free agent out of Florida weighing 219lbs?

Sorry but I get a kick out of the rationale. This guy is yet to demonstrate he can handle special teams in the NFL let alone filling in as Buck or Mack LB on our Superbowl contending defense.

Younger doesn't = better, and 32 years old is not that old for a linebacker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Thank you!

People are unfairly criticizing Timmon's defensive skills against the pass. He's lost a step, but he's still effective if used correctly.

And this is all about using him on running downs not in a nickel or dime defenses. He can hold his own in zone coverage and has done it for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm not sold on Williams either. I like the guy personally, and he did play consistent. He was an obvious step down; however, at middle linebacker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That would be Matthew Thomas out of Fla.St. that is 232lbs and runs a 4.44. :cool:

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I really don't think he's going to 'command' anything. When you're out of a job, you're not really dictating the terms.

As he was released in March, the thinking was teams are waiting to see how things play out in the draft as no one picked him up. He had more leveraging capabilities then.

We are now post-draft, and he still hasn't signed with a team.

It's possible with his AWOL situation that happened last year, other teams may be concerned to pick him up.

Here's the story on that.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...elers-during-bye-before-going-awol-in-week-2/

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    32 isn't old but in the NFL it's to or past the stage you like for a player. It is not so much the age but the number of games played that becomes a factor. He's played a lot of football in this league and a lot of snaps in those years. It takes its toll. :cool:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Sure it does, but if Timmons was out of the game he'd retire. I don't see him shying away from hitting people. He's one of the best pure tacklers in the league.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    There are many players that don't retire when they should. LT has had a great career. As the defense we run changes the players that were so good in the past must change with it. I think his time is pretty much up as the dominating player he once was for us. It happens. As a backup, is LT going to play STs? :cool:

20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Would like to have Gerald Hodges as a stop gap

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. The scheme, especially in the playoff game, was a joke.

Timmons can still be effective against the run and the Steelers need help in that area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The Steelers didn't release him for playing poorly.

They released him because he was 29 going unrestricted free agent that was going to get paid well in free agency, which he did.

He played OK in Miami. No sacks, but does anyone actually believe that has anything to do with him and not the fact they had the guy playing 4-3 outside linebacker?

Timmons is a Buck 3-4 inside linebacker. His strength is playing on the inside tracking down tacklers on the inside and rushing the QB up the middle. Exactly what the Steelers need on defense.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    There is a big difference between picking up a player in free agency before and after the draft. The difference in Timmons case is millions.

And no one is suggesting to bring him back as a nickle or dime linebacker. Even Miami didn't do that.

Because it's kind of dumb to put any linebacker on a wide receiver and expect him to be able to defend it.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, Timmons began his career as an outside linebacker and he showed real promise at the position. He moved inside, in large part, because Harrison emerged at one outside linebacker spot and Woodley became an impact player more quickly on the outside. (Timmons and Woodley were drafted the same year, for those who might have forgotten.)

25. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Stop it!!! Just Stop.......

Cajun

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1