1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Benjamin 3 to 5 more years....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, May 1, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    i'll take clutch 4-0 vs mediocre 2-1.... and I love Ben more than any steeler

• Like Like x 2
  2. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    It will be interesting to see how Big Ben plays while looking over his shoulder at the guy waiting to become Lou Gerhig to Ben's Wally Pipp. Ben better stay healthy or he won't be playing 3-5 years. The Steelers could get a lot of salary cap room without Ben. On draft day he probably was not happy when the Steelers did not ask for his advice regarding trading Bryant basically for his replacement to be. Probably Tomlin and Colbert's excitement and expressed pleasure at both transactions did not do anything for Ben disposition. I wonder if Ben started training the next day ... NAH!

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The DB could also mug the WR all the way down the field which got Mel Blount into the HOF. Now you can't breathe on the receiver past 5 yards or you get flagged for PI. I still say it was much more difficult to play QB in the 70s than it is today.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
  5. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    So next draft or two do the Steelers begin to draft some stout backups for the OL?

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    That's great news from my perspective.

Give Mason and Dobbs a couple years to grow and develop. Don't force either one in, but if/when Ben gets injured there will be opportunities.

It's a good thing Ben is feeling the pressure. It will uplift his game.

Ben had a solid season last year, and I expect the same coming up.

He shouldn't be looking over his back at a rookie that quite frankly no one knows how he'll transition to the NFL. People are making presumptions that he CAN replace Ben. We'll have to see.

7. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    His bovine scatology does get old. His drama queen routine is becoming way too whiny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Cool story bro. Hopefully Ben isn't a suspect in any open serial killer cases in the 'Burgh.

I'm sure glad you used that guy to fit your narrative. Carry on.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Agreed again.

I don't get people getting all critical of Ben. Like Mason Rudolph automatically has supplanted him as being better in their mind. Nevermind that Ben is one of the best QBs to step on the field ever, not just playing in the Burgh.

Which for those of us that actually watched the pre-Ben days with Neil O' Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, etc (the list goes back much further) we could not be HAPPIER to actually see a quality QB behind the helm.

So be happy when your future Hall of Fame QB is not pressuring retirement and feels a little competitive heat from young talent to elevate his game. IMO.

Good things for the Steelers next year. Should be fun to watch.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. I lived through the Malone through Maddox years. I'm grateful the Steelers have Roethlisberger at QB. Brister, O'Donnell, Stewart and Maddox gave us some great wins.. but they were clearly average QBs.

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think it's about being critical of Ben. He is absolutely a great quarterback, no one is arguing that he isn't. I'm one who lived with during the Malone to Maddox era so I appreciate Big Ben immensely. But he falls short of Bradshaw when it comes to Super Bowl performance and that's why I give the Blonde Bomber the edge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    There's some nice footage of the full actual 70s games on youtube actually. They're fun to watch and are unbiased by highlight reels.

I have to disagree that Bradshaw is better than Ben. It is a completely different league now when it comes to passing. For example, how many empty sets did Bradshaw run in the 70s?

As for Superbowl performance, no one can certainly blame Big Ben for our loss to the Jaguars. Sure he had an interception that was costly, but he also had 5 touchdowns at critical times.

The offense scored 42 points in three quarters.

Bradshaw existed in a rush first, pass second offense with Rocky Bleier and Franco Harris many times depending on play action.

Bradshaw did have 4 superbowls, but his defense was probably the best the NFL will ever see play.

13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Not sure it gets anymore clutch than this no?

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben thought it was going to be a pick when he threw it. ;+)

"That throw was the dumbest throw ever. Why take that chance? Because when it left my hand I thought it was intercepted. I really did. I was like, `Oh, my goodness, we blew it.’'

http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/dumbest-throw-ever/

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't matter it ended up as a TD and a win, that is pretty clutch imo.

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

That was clutch, not arguing with that at all. But take that away (And I'm glad we can't!) Ben was mediocre to average overall. And in his first Super Bowl, he really sucked it up big time with the lowest passer rating for a winning quarterback in Super Bowl history. He was fairly efficient in the Cards Super Bowl and had the one magical drive for the ages culminating with the TD pass to Tone. In the Packers Super Bowl he was a garden variety quarterback for the most part, nothing special. Two bad picks and he couldn't get it done in crunch time. Of course, his go to guy was Mikey Wallace (aka the delusional diva) so I'm sure that didn't help. Bradshaw is "WOW!!!" in Super Bowls. Ben is "meh". I hope Ben gets the opportunity to play in a couple of more before he hangs up the cleats. My opinion can be changed depending on what happens with the remainder of his career.

• Like Like x 1
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yup, that's what the ;+) was for.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Kevin Colbert said on 93.7 the Fan on the Cook and Pony show that Rudolph had a 1st round pick grade in their war room. They probably couldn't believe he was still on the board, trading up and got him in the 3rd. Steal! He was not drafted to sit and learn for 3 years, he was drafted to be the solid#2 and if Ben gets injured he steps in. That's why I believe Dobbs will be the odd man out possibly going to the practice squad. Jones will be in competition with Rudolph. They keep Jones for another season, insurance. Then if Dobbs is still on the practice squad they can bring him up to be #3. Although I feel his skill set is does not fit this Offense. That's how I see it.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    You're probably right, and that might be the best thing to do at the moment with both Dobbs and Jones under contract. Jones has stepped in to be a decent backup.

I feel a bit bad for Dobbs though. Hope this kid gets a chance to compete.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Depends how munch does with the guys we have here. He built Hubbard. He's done well with Finney and feiler. Have to see how Hawkins ends up. We have a new one he likes. Maybe an UDFA sticks we have a good history with these guys. AV, Hubbard, foster, feiler, Finney. :cool:

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I really hope the Steelers arent looking at it like that.

The way I see it, why not give yourself 2 opportunities to find a starting QB rather then just 1? Better odds, no?

I find it hard to believe that neither Mason nor Dobbs could give you what Jones does at as a back up and I say that as someone who has been a Jones defender. Hes on his last year of his contract and cost more money, too.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't disagree about how bad to avg Ben has been in the 3 SB's he has played in but he still has had big plays. I am not taking nothing away from the real TB12 but his first SB was a 16-6 win in which he went 9-14 for 96yds and a td. Also the Steelers D only giving up 119 total yards.....119!! SB #2 for the real TB12 21-17 win in which he went 9-19 for 204 and 2td's. 161 of them yards and 1 td to SB MVP Swann also the defense picked off Roger 3 times. SB #3 the real TB12 was outstanding 17-30 318yds and 4 td's and MVP and the same with SB 4 where he was 14-21 309 and 2td's and an MVP.

Again I am taking nothing away from the real TB12 but his first 2 SB's were hardly very good and our awesome defense was a big reason why we won them.....does sound a lot like Ben no? To me I have no problem with people saying the real TB12 is the best or others who say Ben is the best. To me I am just glad as shi# to have had both of them and 6 SB's. It is very hard to compare stats of these two since the game has changed so much. :smiley1::herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Butler got 6 first rounders. Munch really should get at least 3 first rounders. I really like the UDFAs but there is nothing like a first rounder. Although not all of Butler's 1st rounders worked out.

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How though Blast? Only so many snaps to go around and against quality players. In my ind it isn't going to be a competition it will be a showcase for Dobbs becasue we know Ben plays sparingly and they know what Jones is and can do so it is up to Dobbs to be this years Watson and make it impossible for them to consider cutting him

25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Drama queen at it again. Be lucky to get 2 seasons out of him.