1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Benjamin 3 to 5 more years....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, May 1, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He wants that contract extension, he will play until at least 2020.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think it's safe to say that enough threads have been hijacked over the course of history, to beat the dead horse that is the Milledgeville incident that occurred over 8 years ago. I'm sorry to anyone who is new here or the internet, but sometimes you're just late to the party. Honestly, it seems pretty suspect to do so. Let's stay on topic and try to refrain from arguing about alleged rapes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    While it would be better for Ben to retire as a Steeler, better for this to be a Farve-Rodgers situation instead of a Bradshaw-"don't draft Marino" situation.

If the team trades him for a few early round picks, and Ben only plays 0-2 more years at high level for the other team, that is a good deal for the Steelers. (That is assuming Rudolph develops into the real deal in the next few years.)

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe in Ben's mind the current off-season has set the Steelers SB aspirations back a few years. I think he wants another SB win before he hangs it up.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    as opposed to the other players?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yes, my opinion is that Ben & a few other Steelers want it more than the others.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben acts like a petulant child at times so I can see him feeling just a little slighted that the Steelers drafted a quarterback that many are already referring to as the heir apparent and the Steelers next franchise quarterback. Ben has always been the guy and the Steelers have never had a quarterback on the roster who threatened Ben in any way. Jealousy and petulance are common characteristics for narcissistic superstars who are always accustomed to having the spotlight squarely on them. Favre, Rodgers. Brady, Garropolo. Could Ben, Rudolph be next? The fact is that Ben is the second greatest quarterback in team history and Rudolph hasn't taken a snap yet. But I think it's obvious that Rudolph is every bit as competitive as Ben and if he comes in and impresses in camp and has some strong preseason showings, I can see Ben's petulant inner child rearing it's ugly head.

One last thing. Everyone keeps comparing Ben to Brady and Brees who are both playing into their 40s. The fact is Ben has taken way more abuse than either one of them and his body will break down well before he turns 40. I predict Ben plays to the end of his current deal and that's it. And if Fichtner allows Ben to revert back to Barnyard Ben, we may see Rudolph sooner rather than later. I'm glad Rudolph has said that it's not Ben's job to teach him anything because I've got a feeling that Ben is in no mood to be a mentor.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I posted this elsewhere or maybe even in this thread but Ben has played 16, 16, 12, 14, 15 over the last 5 years. The one game last year was just for rest the last game of the season. 2 games the year before, thats almost 4 full seasons in 5 years. Fact is, Ben doesnt get hit nearly as much as he used to.

Does he have more mileage than Brady and Brees, definitely but hes not taking a pounding like he used to. He could play a few more seasons easy if that continues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, but the guy responsible for reducing the hits Ben used to take is now gone to Cleveland. :smiley1:

We'll see what happens going forward.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm leaning sort of the same way myself Jack. At first when they started the "Heir Apparent" I was like no don't start that garbage it is a 50 ton can of worms we don't need. Then the more I thought about it the more it dawned on me that this could be a very very good thing for Ben or a conversely a bad thing. He has never had anyone on the team to push him, he has never feared getting the hook. He throws 3 interceptions and he is still out there, throws two more and still out there. No fear that he isn't the top guy. He has lived on the edge making dumb plays at times because come on are we really pulling him to put in Batch, St. Pierre, Leftwich, Vick, Jones or anyone else? Now he might elevate his play in order to prove alpha dog status, or he could implode trying to prove alpha dog status, you see what I mean? Personally I think he is on fire out of the gate and no needing two months to warm his tired body up.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves. Ben isnt in danger of being pulled for Mason, not season one for sure. Mason has a big adjustment in front of him, no defense playing against him to pro defenses. I want them to bring him along verrry slowly.

Plus Ben is being paid big bucks, they arent taking him out of a game. They dont even pull Ben when his leg is attached by a thread.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes we know this because our egos are not at stake but let's ask the question Does Ben know this?

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    We need this "replacement drama" on the other side of the ball. Light a fire under Dupree somebody!

14. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    What did Ben expect... you can’t keep hinting publicly that He was considering retirement and expect the seed not to be planted in the heads of management. I liked the Rudolph pick and hopefully competition brings out the best in both of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    What if.. He played through 2018.. We trade him to the Colts or some other #31 or #32 team for a 2019 1st, 2nd, and 2020 1st.

That should help us stay up in the Power Rankings. Of course Mason would need to look worthy of running the offense..

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The rules have changed a lot too. I refuse to give Haley credit for anything positive that happened while he was in Pittsburgh.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I didn't know he did time? When was that? :huh:

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    jack attack} The fact is that Ben is the second greatest quarterback in team history:

I will contend ben is the number 1 greatest QB in steeler history, statisticly bradshaw isnt even close' bradshaws career stats, 51.9 completion-27,989 YDS -212 TDs- 210 INTs after 13 years:

Roethlisberger: 64.2 completion ratio-51,065 YDS -329 TDs-174 Ints after 14 years:

Bradshaw didnt have to contend with free agency and had arguably the best defense in nfl history:

Ben had FA to contend with and not the best defenses during his career.

Let the arguement begin but Bens career is hands down the best in steeler history over bradshaws:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If Roethlisberger wins another Super Bowl and gets a Super Bowl MVP in the process... he will be hands down, the greatest Steelers QB of all time, even if he only as 3 vs. Bradshaw's 4. Ben needs the following on his resume: 3 Super Bowl wins and a Super Bowl MVP.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I dont think ben needs another SB win to be the best steeler QB all time, he did his thing in free agency and terry didnt....

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    even if he just wins another sb but no mvp...im ok with that.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, but if Eli Manning can win 2 SB MVPs... Ben should be able to do it. :icon e ugeek:

• Like Like x 1
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's hard to compare, it was a different sport back then. Bradshaw played at a time when the defenses main objective was to take the QB and his receivers out of the game on stretchers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Inside the hallowed walls of the greatest organization in all of team sports, the Pittsburgh Steelers, careers are measured in terms of Super Bowl performance. Bradshaw was 4-0 in Super Bowls and came up big when he had to in every single big moment of the biggest game! Ben is 2-1 and is, quite honestly, mediocre when it comes to Super Bowl performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    • Disagree Disagree x 1