1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Best QB Draft Classes in NFL History

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TOLIVO, Apr 30, 2018.

1. TOLIVO

TOLIVO New Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Saw this story linked up on Football Outsiders. Pretty cool look. The article kinda parenthetically acknowledges that it's really measuring the "most prolific" QB classes in terms of era-adjusted yards (not necessarily "the best," though I guess that makes for a better title).

https://www.eldo.co/analysis/the-best-quarterback-draft-classes-in-nfl-history

1st place goes to the 1971 QB class (Ken Anderson, Jim Plunkett, Joe Theismann, Archie Manning, Lynn Dickey, Dan Pastorini). 2nd place to the 1983 class (Dan Marino, John Elway, Jim Kelly, Ken O'Brien). 3rd place to the 2004 class (Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Matt Schaub).

The 1983 QB draft class had three Hall of Famers (Marino, Elway, Kelly) but the 1971 class (with six really solid starters) was deeper and had a longer collective peak. Interesting chart in there that shows the peaks and their duration. The 2004 class has a chance to catch 1983 in a couple seasons.

Kinda reminded of this chatter from Roethlisberger a couple of years ago. "Obviously, everyone knows about that (1983) class and the Hall of Famers that they have," Roethlisberger said. "Hopefully, one day the three of us can be in the Hall of Fame and we can talk about that. I know that our Super Bowl rings can rival theirs, obviously, but they have the gold jackets and they have the time put in." (via nj.com)

What do you think? If the 2004 class manages to pass the 1983 class in era-adjusted yards and maybe squeaks out one more Super Bowl, can they be considered the best? Or least definitive top two or three?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    1983 is still tops. Two of those QB's are in the discussion for GOAT and Kelly is at least as good if not better than the rest from those other 2 classes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    All I know is we done good getting one out of this group. I think we got us a good one.:smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm on record for not wanting to draft a quarterback this year. But I also understand that when a guy like Mason Rudolph falls to the 3rd round you have to take him. Ben's not going to play forever. By the time it's all said and done Mason may end up being the best of the bunch. He ended up in the best situation, and on the best team in the league.

IMHO I don't think anyone will even remember who Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, or Lamar Jackson were in 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    'o4 will never be as good 'cause it includes Phillip, "Cry me a" Rivers!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Well the 83 class certainly lost more superbowls than any other draft class, kelly lost 4 marino lost 1 and elway lost 3, thats a tough stat to swallow......

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Also reach more SB's than any other draft class. See how that works.

8. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    No I dont, losing SBs isnt winning them, and Bens class has 4 superbowl wins by two QBs compared to their 2 wins by 1 QB, I dont think we would be happy with 3 SB losses compared to our 2-1 record in the big games I think the criteria is wins not losses.....

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You dont think reaching a SB is an achievement in itself? Ok.

Do you really think Ben, Eli and Rivers will ever be in a GOAT discussion?

lol give me a break, Diamond.

10. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    If they win more SBs they will be, and rivers is capable of winning one considering the up grades they have on their team this year, If Ben wins one more he will be, no one on this board would be happy about going to a SB and losing it, the true mark of a champion QB is winning not losing, going to a SB and losing it is no great achievement in my opinion.........

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    SB's is a poor marker for determining who a better QB is. It's a team sport, lot goes into winning a SB. In the 80's, the NFC was far superior to the AFC.

I dont think anyone will make the argument that Plunket is a better QB then Marino.

Kelly went to the SB 4 times in a row, thats incredible. Just happens they ran into a buzzsaw every time. Well, not really the Giants, they should have won that game.

12. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016

Making it to a SB is a definite achievement. Losing a SB makes it hard to appreciate the achievement... when I think back to losing vs Green Bay, A LOT of feelings come before "well at least we got to the SB" does. I've watched replays of the loss to the Cowgirls. Cant remember it too well...except for the three INTs.
    Also, I'm a Philip Rivers fan. After watching that guy tough it out season after season... he's alright by me.