1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft Grade - D

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, May 1, 2018.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Bleacher reports is giving us draft grade of a D not sure it's that bad what do you think?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I give it an A+, means the same thing, nothing.

We'll find out soon enough how good or bad it is.

I like all the players selected, I would have gone defense in the 3rd rd but have no problems with the players taken per say. I just would have gone in a different direction than what they did.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I dunno about D.... that would imply we worked on our DEFENSE....

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought the 2008 draft was the best thing since sliced bread. It looked great on paper... but we all know how it turned out. Mendenhall was the only good pick from that year. :facepalm:

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Sites are all over the place rating our draft. I've seen anywhere from D to A. Personally I rated it as a D+ after day 2. But now that I had time to think about it I'd give it a C. I think we got some good football players, but we did not address our biggest concern and that's linebacker. We at least needed to get some warm bodies to compete inside and out. That being said if Rudolph ends up being a franchise qb after Ben retires, and Edmunds ends up being a stud, I doubt anyone will be giving the draft a D in 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Me too. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I give it a B+

1.Edmunds is a solid pick. It's not a reach because Steelers are always successful and that means picking the bottom of the barrel. He fits the mold of what we are looking for.

2. the loss of Bryant hurt but we added Washington. I think he led the nation in yards, looks pretty strong and I don't even flinch because unlike linebackers, Steelers can draft WR well.

3. Rudolph, the next big thing for Steelers. It's just one of those gut feelings, usually it's a fart but I think he is here to stay. The OT we selected is needed as well. He shows promise and munchak will do his job. we needed the depth.

4. Marcus allen cant say much about him, most say he sucks, others say he is good.

5. samuels, hybrid back who fits our mold and will make ben/mason all giddy inside.

6. frazier= will knock big bad softy out of a job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If they make the team, good for them.
    It’s when draft picks don’t even get through the summer that stinks.

Seems like a very Workman type draft class.
    Maybe no stars, but depth help.

This draft class will show what the coaches are made of.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Bleacher Report gave us a D Grade?! Oh no!!

Hold on to that thought! Got someone Bleacher Report can speak to!!

[​IMG]

Draft grades are like the dirt on peoples shoes and the thoughts they give about said dirt;

[​IMG]

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I believe Travis Tritt summed it up eloquently with the title of his song: "Here's a quarter (call someone who cares)"
    I grade everyone's draft as INC. Practice hasn't even started yet!

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    if most end up as quality depth and maybe 1 superstar I would be ok with that.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt really give it an A+, lol, was just making a point but I think it was a solid draft.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I give it an incomplete...What I mean by that is, If they sign a Hodges or Minter...Or even a Bowman or Timmons the DRAFT becomes an A, because we addressed all our concerns

Even if we don't do this, I would rate it a C...With potential to go up or down

14. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Spot on. I might give it an "F."

15. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017

1. Virginia Tech S Terrell Edmunds (No. 28 overall), Oklahoma State WR James Washington (No. 60 overall), Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph (No. 76 overall), Western Michigan OT Chuks Okorafor (No. 92 overall), Penn State S Marcus Allen (No. 148 overall), NC State RB Jaylen Samuels (No. 165 overall), Alabama DT Joshua Frazier (No. 246 overall)

The challenge for Super Bowl contenders is to find early contributors despite picking late in rounds. The Pittsburgh Steelers have a small window right now, and they failed the test of properly adding immediate help to their core. First-round pick Terrell Edmunds was the biggest reach of the round, and the Steelers didn't necessarily need a third safety with Morgan Burnett and Sean Davis already on the team.

Trading veteran Martavis Bryant for a third-round pick was good value for a disgruntled player, and James Washington is a dangerous downfield threat who will help right now. But then adding a backup in Mason Rudolph and developmental tackle in Chuks Okorafor instead of filling bigger needs is going to be costly when the 2018 playoffs arrive. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wanting to play three more years makes the Rudolph pick highly questionable.

Passing on Iowa cornerback Josh Jackson, UCF cornerback Mike Hughes or even an edge-rusher like Boston College's Harold Landry will loom large if Edmunds doesn't drastically improve on his 2017 tape. The Steelers have been stuck as contenders with a limited playoff ceiling because of their inconsistent drafting over the last five years. This class appears to be another disappointing one in helping this current core reach its potential.

Grade: D
    www.bleacherreport.com

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Man. Just when I'm finally starting to talk myself into this draft I read this. You make some great points. It's really hard to argue with anything you said. The only thing I will say is that I really do think Edmunds is going to be a stud. By mid season Edmunds and Burnett are going to be your starters IMHO.

17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I notice most of these sites don't try to figure out why their predictions were so bad, but instead criticize teams for not acting like the site predicted they would.

Is this one of the sites that said Guice would be the 2nd RB selected?
    (He turned out to be the 7th.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017

The only reason Guice dropped was from a bad meeting with Philly where they got in a shouting match.

All indications prior to that was that he would be 2nd back to get drafted.

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I said leading up to the draft that if we truly wanted to go BPA at #28, that we were probably gonna have to go CB. That's where the value was. It was likely the top ILBs and Safeties would be gone. Which is what happened.

Now I know most had the likes of Justin Reid or Jesse Bates above Edmunds. But obviously the Steelers didn't and we will just have to wait and see if Edmunds is better than them. Athetically he sure impresses. Top notch character too.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

What was T.J. Watt? Athlete with good character traits. Artie Burns? Same thing. Bud Dupree as well.

"Hearts 'n' Smarts" at its finest. Anyone who thinks Pittsburgh should draft otherwise need look at players like Martavis Bryant and Mike Adams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Draft grades are useless conjecture, really. We'll know in a few years.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m starting to hear another squeaky toy.

24. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I think Edmunds was a great pick and gonna be a solid contributor this season.
    They knew they couldnt replace Shazier so what they do they draft Edmunds and Allen two big safeties that can play a little linebacker.
    Edmunds is athletic as hell as well. People keep bashing this pick and i cant wait to see everybody eat their words come mid season this year.
    He will be playing alot since we are playing more and more hybrid sub defenses.
    He will also be key when we eventually play New England. He will do a better job on Gronk then anybody could do last year, and those receptions by Gronk in the 4th quarter was the difference in the game.
    Edmunds is gonna be used as more than a Safety thats what people need to understand. Very Versatile.
    Also, alot of people had problems with the Chukwuma pick and i loved it. We just lost Hubbard, and this guy will fill that role nicely. Not to mention who knows what will happen with Gilbert. Another suspension? Remember when our line was horrible? im always all for boosting the line. Foster is getting older and Pouncey has already hinted at retiring when Ben does. We always need to be ahead of the curve with the line.
    I thought it will turn out to be a great draft of real quality players. Maybe no stars but real blue collar do it all versatility every team needs these days.
    Now its up to our coaches to develop this talent!

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Holy Cow you ain't kidding.