1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So far, terrible

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Apr 28, 2018.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Formerscribe, post: 566025
    Every scouting report I've seen on Edmunds has tackling as one of his problems. He also takes bad angles in pursuit. What I've read about his man-to-man coverage skills is mixed. This is a talented athlete with size and coachability, somebody they think they can develop into much more than he is right now. Every ranking out there had him as a late second or early third-rounder. He was a reach, and they followed him by taking three offensive players.
    A coach saying a player versatile is code for the player is really not very good at any position. On the flip side look up and read the scouting reports on guys like Antonio Brown and J. J. Watt's. Good thing they never read them.

This team should be in win-now mode and they completely blew that off the first two days of the draft.
    Can't agree. Must be in win every year mode. You can't sell out for the future for today. Teams that do it don't just fail for the current year, they fail for several years.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This may have been said somewhere throughout the thread, but I didn’t take the time to read it all....

What about the draft implies “not in win now mode”? There’s not many players that can come out of a draft to make a huge impact as a rookie on a team that went 13-3 the year before. Especially at pick 28. They also were apparently not super high on any of the other ILB’s or else they would have taken one. Had they have been able to get Evans or LVE I’m sure they would have done it. But drafting guys they don’t like as much just to get a position of need is bad business. We have a really good team. Some of the draft picks will play right away (Edmunds in some role, Washington will likely start) and most won’t. If Edmunds and Washington turn out to be perennial bro bowlers and Rudolph the QB of the future, then they did great. The draft is about securing the future of your team, not “win now”.

We have a lot of money tied up in Shaziers unfortunate situation and a one year 14 million dollar tag on a player that by all accounts looks like he will be gone next season. We will have plenty of money to go looking for upgrades to keep this team competitive the next couple years. Even more so when ben retires. We didn’t panic and took the guys that we thought we needed for long term success.

We can agree or disagree with them about which players they took (and we will see how it turns out in a few years), but it’s hard to argue with the approach we took in the draft. It shows a distinct plan (more sub package play and a move to highlighting athletic hybrid players) and making sure that we can transition from one really good team to another without having to hit the basement during the rebuild.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

There in lies the contradiction.

That is their scouting report. Pittsburgh has their own. Why would they rely on WalterFootball for scoutig much less a big board?

I do wish to hear your response.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Basing your opinion of a player based on a SCOUTING REPORT is ludacris. It shows not only that you are ignorant of any substance about the player and his abilities, but you choose be this way willingly and proceed to base your opinion of that player accordingly.

If you want to have a fiery opinion of a player, that’s totally fine... everyone has the right to voice their opinion. However, make sure you have an individually informed opinion before you spray it around in public. It’s hard to take an opinion seriously when it’s “player X sucks because people y and z said so. Blahhhh”. The opinion means absolutely nothing. Do a little research and come up with something of your own.

Also I want to end by asking you not to take this post the wrong way or too personally. I know I quoted you on it, but there are plenty of other people and opinions of the same tune on here and I was just trying to point something out as a whole, and your post was just the closest example to my post.

I know I don’t know enough about Edmunds to have a concrete opinion... and since I haven’t had the time to look too deep into it, I’ll wait to form an opinion until I feel adequately informed on him and his abilities. That’s the point of the post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Let me ask you this then Wack.

What would you would have done in the First Round to acquire Roquan Smith?

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I don't think ludicrous is fair, SG. I am admittedly a super nerd when it comes to the draft. After watching every snap of every game last year I determined the most pressing need was 1. Free safety and 2. Mack linebacker. So based on that I watched a ton of film on prospects at those two positions and formed my own opinions.

I did not view guard as a need at all so I watched zero film on any guard. However, because the consensus of draft "experts" (some of whom are former scouts or front office guys) said that Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson was a generational player and a first round talent, I believe them. There is value to their opinions especially when there is a consensus.

7. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I guess I have a different take on the draft, I thought it was a pretty good draft overall. Would have liked to have gotten an ILB, but I would rather they take value and BPA instead of reaching and forcing for the sake of filling a hole.

I think what people tend to forget or just not acknowledge is that the Steelers, based on their record essentially lose a 1st round pick because they draft so late.
    Calling Edmunds a project is pretty far off the target. He will have an impact this year. Washington is going to have an impact right away. I wish he was taller, but he's a playmaker. Rudolph.. He's the potential future, but they couldn't pass him up. He was a 2nd rounder QB on most boards, so getting him at 3 was good

After that you have Okorafor, this is the first pick that I felt was questionable. But really, his upside is pretty huge and he isn't needed right away. I get why they took him there. Yes, and ILB would be nice here, but it just wasn't there.

The Allen pick is one that has me pretty excited. This guy is a stud and a pick I think will be a huge steal when all is said and done.

Terrible draft? I disagree 100%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    For what it's worth, Steelers Depot is reporting that the Steelers did indeed try to trade up ahead of Tennessee to get Evans. They just couldn't get a deal done.

9. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    well I had heard Get Bent as a teenager in Leetsdale/Sewickley area way back then. After I told the Inspector Instructor Staff (the active duty guys who train the reserves) what the PA treasury guy told me to tell Wisconsin tax folks, they started using the term. Then the reserves picked up on it and I do believe Get Bent went viral in Madison after that. I wonder if they ever knew what it ment?

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    not even sure my self, I just took it as another way to say **** off.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You're assuming things that are not in evidence. He could help, but those better players were even more likely to help.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    When you are close, you go for it. To do anything else is stupid.

13. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    LMAO!;)

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Now you are assuming.:cool:

15. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I like Edmunds, but as many have said, it was a little high for him.

To help support my claim, the Edmunds camp themselves had no thoughts of Terrell being drafted in the 1st round. He said that
    the only reason he showed up Thursday night is to share in his brothers joy of being drafted.

So even he and his agent, who I'm sure had a pretty firm grasp of the draft potential of his clients, didn't realistically consider him a 1st rounder.

So, to you guys trying to discredit those who believe it was a reach, they have just as legit an argument as you.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m having trouble understanding why people think it’s a reach to take a guy maybe 16 picks higher than some pundit guessed at. Should you pass on a guy you think will help you, who you evaluate as a good pick, just so you match someone else’s appraisal? To me that makes no sense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Im supporting the pick. If these draft gurus were so good they would be working for a good NFL team. This kid will be on the field for us making plays not playing on the interweb and an evaluation. He's going to reach that's for sure. He's going to reach for picks. He's going to reach for ball carriers. He's going to reach the NFL for the most awesome team in the league. Reach for the stars kid, you are a Pittsburgh steeler. Meanwhile I'll be reaching up and waving my terrible towel when you make plays for us. :cool:

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    TJ Watt was projected in the second rd. Do people still think that was a reach?

We'll see how Edmunds pans out but I imagine the reach talk will look really silly before long.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I suddenly feel inspired to cheer. :smiley1:

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes. They will say we could have gotten someone better in the first and still got him in the second.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah and the Cleveland Browns are a good QB drafting team.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah that saying has been around for a long time. Some old guy in our neighborhood used to say that when I was a kid. Didn't know why he said it till I got older.

23. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The point is that all we have is speculation at this point. That's why we all talk about the draft for four months a year. Because the unknown is intriguing.

All you have is speculation at this point. Same as those who oppose your view.

If he doesn't live up to that 1st round pick, will you say you were "silly" for supporting the pick?

And Watt was projected as a late first to mid second round pick. So taking him at #30 didn't seem out of place at all. Just about every mock on earth had us taking him there.

From NBC sports website "Per a league source, multiple teams had safety Terrell Edmunds rated as a fifth-round prospect." If this is true, is it really "silly' to question whether or not the pick might've been a reach or not?

Don't go all in too early on this guy. Leave yourself some wiggle room.;)

And for the record, I think he has pretty nice potential. But I truly believe that if New England liked him where we were, they would've traded back 10 spots, got an extra 3rd, and picked him there.:cool:

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Idk if anyone saw the article but basically Kevin Colbert did his wrap up of the draft and he said "We never reach for players", I almost fell over.

A genius GM would have traded down if they wanted Edmunds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course not because 1st rd prospects bust all the time. The silliness I refer to is putting so much stock into what round an analysis predicts a prospect should be taken over a grade the Steelers put on a player while constructing a board for over a year.

I posted this in the draft forum, good look into how much goes into preparing for the draft.

http://www.steelers.com/videos/vide...-process/9797ecfe-42e4-4327-8335-4275777b2066

I'll trust in that over draftniks.

NFL.com which is pretty much the daddy of draftniks had him as a 2nd rd

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/t.j.-watt?id=2558064

But this just goes to my point that these projections are pretty much useless as they vary from site to site, analysis to analysis.

Fans should do their own study and make up their own minds and not be led like sheeple. Draft profiles are good for added information and to round out your own evaluation but shouldn't be the be all end all for the basis of your opinion.

Browns are probably one of them teams :lolol:

Seriously, do you really think the Steelers drafted a player in the first rd that they had a fith rd grade on? Obviously they felt he was better than a 5th rd. Why is the Steelers grade wrong? I personally think that grade is moronic if true. Nothing about his game correlates to a 5th rd grade, IMO.