1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Grade the Picks Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 08SteelCurtain, Apr 27, 2018.

1. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Yeah it definitely seemed like they were giving the new position coaches some fresh blank canvases to work with. I think a Harrison Phillips might have been a better piece of clay for them to mold, but the Frazier pick is good for their run defense woes like you said.

The lack of center-fielder safeties is head scratching on my part as well. Morgan Burnett is a versatile guy but I have to imagine he's not gonna be playing like a rangy FS, so if he's partly an in-the-box guy then why did we draft two of those?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think all of our safeties are versatile enough to be put into many different situations. I think too many are still looking at this hybrid defense in the traditional sense and I'm not sure that's the plan. :cool:

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so I had time to look and read about most of these guys. Here are my thoughts agree or disagree....right or wrong this is how I feel.

Edmunds.......I have read this guy was anywhere from a 3rd to a 5th and now while I am reading the draft grades many are saying he was drafted a round early. There is a big difference between 1 & 2 then 3-5. I also read why the Steelers are so high on him and understand the pick a lot more. I have read the Steelers want to run more of a dime with 1 LB on the field. With that said this pick makes a ton more sense as he fits that system very good. I give the pick a B+ cause I still feel it is a reach. jmo.

Washington....No secret here I am a fan love this kid. I have said that I have a feeling in round 2 it would be a WR or RB and yeah after the MB trade we needed another big play threat. I don't care about his 40 time watch the film he gets separation and has hands of gold. I like that now we have a nice group of WR's for the remainder of Ben's years here. I grade this an A all day long.

Rudolph.......I did not want a QB in this draft and with him sitting here in the 3rd I understand it..don't like it but understand it. However this isn't about my liking or disliking it is about value and this is a home run. I liked this kid last year and he decided to go back to school. I really feel Mason will benefit from Ben and turn into something special after Ben hangs them up. I had hopes that Dobbs could step in for Ben but now I am confident Rudolph can. I like the player but but not the pick, my grade is a.....B

Okorafor........I was screaming for the Steelers to draft OKO but I guess they misunderstood, I wanted Okoronkwo not Okorafor, lol. Not impressed everything I read about him says project. I get it we have munch but come on a project in the 3rd???? We could have gotten that later one we still had needs and none bigger than ILB and Jewell, Jefferson and Burks were all there. There was also a ton of pass rushers staring us in the eyes as well. I feel we could have gotten a project with about the same talent later on but I get he is raw and has an upside. My grade......D

Allen.......Hated the pick at first then when other were talking about him I looked into him more. Now I understand this pick and it is about stopping the run not the pass. Allen can do that and he is pretty good at it, this is also like our first pick where many were shocked but if you look at it in from what the Steelers want to do than you will understand the pick and feel it is a good one. Also want to point out something I didn't know until I looked more into this kid , he is a high character guy. I give an A since this was a 5th round pick on a guy who will fit our system

Samuels.......This pick is summed up like this :puking 3:I don't get it and not gonna talk about it. With that said and me slamming him that is good news and will turn into a stud. Grade F

Frazier.......Hard to say anything bad about a 7th rounder but this class was loaded at DT. I would have loved a more experienced guy but I get it he comes from a big time program and is a monster of a man. Solid pick just wanted more. B+

While on the surface the draft looked and felt bad I think in the long run we will look back and say wow nice draft.........B+

:herewego!::herewego!::herewego!::herewego!::herewego!::herewego!::herewego!:

4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Samuels has 49 TDs in college from about any offensive position you can imagine. How in the world can you give this pick an F? I say masterful.

Okarafor was still the 4th ranked OT in this draft. That's hard to just put the project moniker on him. O-Linemen were being taken at a pretty good clip if you look at the draft. If we waited longer the project player really increases, especially two rounds later when we would have been picking. We already have a 4th round tackle that needs work in Hawkins and if we waited we would have gotten worse than that. I'm one that is not as soured by this pick as much as most.

Allen was a guy I think was an instead of pick. They liked him but I think they had their eyes set on Okla.st. again and flowers whom was snatched up a couple of picks prior. :cool:

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well Mac I will tell ya why and again like I said this is how I feel:

Jaylen Samuels an F IMO, where does he play what do we need him for? Many here never even heard of him before and with a 5th round pick and not having a 6th there was much better options out there than a pick of luxury. This offense is loaded what kind of production do we expect from him. He is a gimmick player, great just what we need. Is he a good player sounds like it but does he fit in here I just don't see it. Sorry if you disagree and man I hope I am wrong but I just don't like the pick.

Okorafor, Mac look him up every write up has him listed as a project. I did not label him that I am going off what I have read. Right off NFL.com:

WMICH
    Height: 6-6 Weight: 330

They like taking projects on the line and he is that. But he has a chance to be a quality starter in time.

Like I said tons of LB's out there would of loved one of them over OKO, I am no expert can only go by what I am reading and many including Steeler writers have him labeled as a project. again jmo

Appreciate your input thats why I come here to get others take. :smiley1:

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    A lot of 3 safeties is the new fad on defenses........

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

yea they call him a project but he also carried a 3rd rd. grade. right where we got him. we do need the help at this position. gilbert is iffy. PED's and injuries have plagued him while here. as i said i'm going to put this in the hands of munch.

the kid from TCU is also a good one. C/G a little short but man he's strong 37 reps. and can move 5.0 guy with short area quicks. we need that 3rd Center/Guard player to keep around. may sit PS for now.

as for samuels, our new OC loves the FB spot in his offense. this kid can move around the offense and can produce. fichtner will use him i believe. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It isn't about the grade it is about the talent left and the fact that this kid is a project. I agree we needed help at OT however there were still guys with "project" grades out there to be had. Guys like Crosby and Senat are guy that fit that role and so many good prospects still left at OT when we picked OKO. Cappa, Richardson, Jones and Pryor added to the list of players who Munch could help. Chuck O is a top 5 at OT just thinking we could have had a LB here and still gotten a "project" for Munch. jmo

Like I said in a different thread I may have given Samuels a raw deal. After reading more about him I am starting to think this is insurance for Vance and even more so insurance if Bell gets hurt. The more I read the more I am signing a different tune to this guy, so your right I should not have given an F to him and I guess I can come down from the building I wanted to jump off, lol :smiley1:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    may also be an insurance policy for nix who started out dinged up last year. fichtner said he's going to use the FB spot. this kid adds a little more wiggle to the position. he'll be a tough match up for some LB.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Way too harsh on Samuels, he's very versatile could be a 3rd down back to relieve Bell. Samuels averaged 9 yards a receptions, also had over 200 receptions. He played RB, TE, H-back good value in the fifth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should've taken Avery in the 5th instead of another box safety in Allen, Avery can play some ILB and OLB at 245 lbs runs a 4.6.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not is they are planning to run the 3 safety look like what is being talked about. I am feeling like this draft was more about the change in direction then it was about the BPA.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    My quick and personal take on our picks....I'm not going to attach grades because I just don't know yet...

Edmunds: At first thought of as a reach,board didn't exactly fall our way though. Love the athleticism and upside. Can he process all the information needed to be multi like they say his strengths are. He needs to be ready to play this year. Safety position needs effective players....now.

Washington: Thought we could have waited and done better. Admittedly loved him early on but was turned off by his 40 time and lack of length to replace MB and his seemingly limited route tree. Now if he is versatile enough to play slot and outside and has better route running then what was asked from him in college I can see him being very good. He has lots of other good athleticism and intangibles...

Rudolph: Honestly just didn't want a QB anywhere in this draft. Just don't see how it helps now and I'm too stubborn to comment on his future...

Okafor: Munch can turn any chicken **** into chicken salad,so I just don't see the need for what many are calling a project right now. Will he be good down the road? With Munch probably.....but so could probably just about any OL with some athleticism picked in the 5th or7th.

Samuels: When I first heard his name I remembered hearing about him at the SR. Bowl and that he was working with the TEs and was more of a H-back and I thought ....hell no. Then my old brain kicked in and remember watching him a couple times in college and wondered who is this versatile SOB and that's exactly what he is. He might end up being one of the guys I'm most looking forward to seeing. He can play RB,WR H-Back and Safety....oh wait we have enough of them. I think he is just one of those guys who won't wow you with his athleticism but will leave you wondering....how the hell did he just do that and last but not least the biggest plus to drafting him is.....bye Toussaint!

Allen: I always wanted Marcus Allen to play for us ,love him coming out of USC :hehehe:. Seriously another Safety I thought but after further review and thought I think his best chance at making this team will be as our 4th ILB all he has to do is bulk up a little and he can replace Fort and might be able to help sooner than later subbing in for Vince on passing downs. We typically only dress 3 safeties so we are better off teaching him the roles and responsibilities of our ILBs now....or else he will have a hard time finding a helmet on game day...

Frazier: What can Dunbar do for you? I actually really like this pick for a 7th. He already has a head start with our new DL coaches ideology I think he can be a good run stuffer for us and will certainly push shade tree out to pasture. The only problem is he typically won't dress either just like Mcullers with our DL rotation pretty much set,pretty sure we typically dress 5.

Well there you have it....
    One guy that needs to get up to speed and play now,Edmunds. Washington will see time,how much depends on his route running ability. Allens only chance is at ILB with the Safety room being over crowded or injury. Samuels should get a taste all over the field as long as he can process all the different nuances of each position.
    I see 3 players who won't play barring any major injuries except maybe Frazier....

All just my opinion....

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im going to do it a little differently, not going to grade the players but the strategy.

Im struggling to reconcile the 3rd rd. Threw a wrench in what I thought started out as a great draft.

I go back and forth. On the one hand, Ben could be done in 2 years which is great situation for Mason to sit and learn and on the other hand, if Ben is still playing at a high level, do you force him out to usher in the Mason/Dobbs era not knowing if they are up to the task?

Then there is the Okorafor pick. At least I get the rational of the Mason pick, great value and entering the end of the Ben era. I have to think Munch sees something great in this kid, its the only way I can make myself ok with the pick.

I would have much preferred Deadrin Senat or Justin Jones at DT with the first 3rd rd pick and Tavarius Moore at safety with the second pick. Since they went with those positions later anyway, should have taken the better players. Moore would have been a great pick, secondary would have been filthy with him and Edmunds, Haden and Burnett roaming the field and upgraded the run defense immediately. I would have grabbed Wyatt Teller, OT in the 5th.

But my favorite 3rd rd would have been Tavarius Moore with the first pick and Griffin with the second. Projected 4th rd so not a terrible reach but wouldnt care if it was, you're going to hear his name a lot over the years to come.

So I give the draft strategy a solid B. They felt good with the team they have and were drafting with one eye on the future I just think they could have knocked it out of the park with the first 4 picks being:

Terrell Edmunds
    James Washington
    Tavarius Moore
    Shaq Griffin

• Like Like x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    My overall grade is an A!!!
    Here's why.
    We got our future SS Allen and FS Edmunds.
    We got our Future QB in Mason.
    We our Future OT in Chuks.... and for now he replaces Hawkins who gave us nothing!
    We got Samuels who'll suprise all you guys,replace Fitz and Ridley and really push Connors.
    We got a WR who'll play day one make us forget Bryant.
    We got Frazier who will replace and upgrade Big Dan.

We have the roster to win now and added strenght to continue our winning ways for years to come!!!

Go Steelers

Cajun